NHL'94 Forums

Important Stats Relative to One Another

aqualizard

For drafting players:

1. Would you rather have high speed or high agility?

2. Would you rather have high agility or high stickhhandling?

3. Would you rather have high shot power or high shot accuracy?

4. In a "weight bug fixed" league, what are the top 1 or 2 attributes that you would look for?

5. BONUS QUESTION: Does anyone know Jeremy Roenick's ratings across the board?

Why am I asking? I am trying to wrap my head around what to look for in the upcoming Velocity League Draft. For the record I have done searches, and got some info from here:
http://nhl94strategy.com/?page_id=40
http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/14453-about-player-attributes/
http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16907-player-attributes-and-the-likenew-here/

1. Players like Bondra (4agi, 6 speed) are hard to handle and deking is almost impossible, they need a breakaway passes and go from there. I prefer agility over speed, but can deal with someone like Hogue 5 speed, 4 agility well enough. Even with the cost of agility on one player I would prefer to have at least one 5 speed guy on the team.

2. Both are ideal and stickhandling helps you against b-checks and hold on to your puck against guys with good defensive awareness. Agility helps you go around the offensive area and great for D as well to adjust your positioning.

3. I like shotpower to the skill of 4 above accuracy, then when shotpower 4 I would go for accuracy. Shotpower 4 gives you more range and 3 is mostly limited to short range onetimers. So I would take a shot of 4/3 always above a shot of 3/4, I will take a 4/4 or even 4/3 over 3/5, but a shot of 4/5 instead of 5/4. Former is shotpower and later accuracy.

4. wbfixed leagues stickhandling for a heavy guy is a great treat. It will be so hard to take the puck away or check the heavy guys who have a stick of 5+. But you cannot win with a slow team either, so skating is important and skating skill correlates in GDL winning teams as well. No team without speed 5+ has won it in several seasons (since the early seasons).

Edited by Depch

More excellent questions aqualizard! You are on a roll.

For drafting players:

High speed can be a great threat see Frey built Quebec in GDL (played by angryjay) but many here would argue agility is more important.

2. Would you rather have high agility or high stickhhandling?
High agility. While stickhandling is more of a nice to have peripheral attribute.

3. Would you rather have high shot power or high shot accuracy?
High shot power no doubt, like smoz said it gives you greater range.

4. In a "weight bug fixed" league, what are the top 1 or 2 attributes that you would look for?
I think agility with the heavier guys, guys like Jagr are far more effective as they should be.

5. BONUS QUESTION: Does anyone know Jeremy Roenick's ratings across the board?

For drafting players:

High speed can be a great threat see Frey built Quebec in GDL (played by angryjay) but many here would argue agility is more important.

Having 2 players on offence with speed 5 is definately a treat and goes a long way. This can be seen in the drafted teams from past and how great they have been, nothing taken away from the coaches they have done. I have hard time seeing that 3 Bondra with speed 6 would do the same trick though, having at least one 5/5 is encouraged. Speed of the team correlates definately with scoring effectiviness. Having one 5+ seems like a must have in draft leagues (Plabax could be excluded for now).

Also low weight enhances your deking ability and heavy players react slower to controls. I recall this was tested by Swos and it was proven in goalies at least in frame by frame test, works the same for players.

A player of 6 weight 4/4 speed feels much more responsive than a player of 7 weight 4/4 speed. There is a huge difference with Oates-Juneau (my classic team, Juneau 5/4/4/) connection compared to Oates-Larmer (my GDL team, Larmer 7/4/4)

Edited by Depch