NHL'94 Forums

GDL X1V Here's how I'd like to run it

Brutus

Thank you for taking the time to vote. We had full participation, and with it public, got a good feel for where everyone stands.

Welcome to the four new coaches (one returning member from the way back when), Beavers, Aqualizard, Wallywojo & AtomicRaven. They will be drafting at the end of the draft, according to tradition. I found Wally's name from on the waitlist from before, so it will go, #21 Wally, #22 Beavers, #23 Aqua, #24 Atomic.

I'll go through the DNP's and draft order later tonight. We will use last season's rules for this draft.

Previous editions have used the Classic ROM with the ONLY hack being to display the player's actual ratings during the game, instead of inaccurately showing them. I will continue this for this season, and put up to a vote next year whether to display it accurately or not. For now, last 2 season's format shall roll on.

#1 I would like to hear back on how long everyone needs to get the draft date started. I will also have the draft to be fluid so if EVERYONE is active but one guy, you could get skipped if you don't leave a manner to reach you (texting preferred). This 24 hour delay because someone doesn't bother to check in during the middle of a draft while 23 other guys are active is over. Foreign coaches will be given more leeway though, of course.

#2 I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE HOW WE DO THE DRAFT ORDER IN THE FUTURE.

Based on feedback, we would use a weighted, random draft order that provides bonuses for check points, but is still tiered based on ranking within your division (4 balls for 4th place, 3 balls 3rd, 2 balls 2nd, 1 ball first, etc).

#3 I would also like to have a playoff penalty that results in drafting last for anyone found to be in "contempt" past two weeks of scheduled series posted. This would mean, commissioner ruling on attempt to play the series, and failure to do so, and you pick at the end for the next draft.

Edited by Brutus

Also, Raph offered to make the ROM.

So, if you aren't taking a team that is in the Classic ROM or in the previous GDL ROM, you need to consult with him prior to being moved to that city.

Specifically ICE & EA requested changes I am not able to edit/do myself, so without his consent to make these changes, they won't be happening.

Confer with him and get back to me.

*ALSO, if someone could get me ADMIN access, I can clean up the GDL forums to prepare things.

I'm ok with using it from last season, but thought it would be easier to get it implemented for upcoming season cause guys wouldn't byatch because they were worried about losing draft ranking for this one.

That, & I'd have to go through & manually check when each guy played his games. Lol

I just like be the thought of a draft lottery and random order.

I mean so many top coaches get the players they want via trade so why not random order too?

I'm ready to start drafting yesterday, so when ever the draft starts it's fine by me.

And FYI whatever pick I have (I believe it's in the top 5) It's ON DA BLOCK!

Very cool Brutus... I like the changes. We've had some worthy commishes over the years and you'll be a great one to add to the the list (and you may have commished a league before this one but not during my time)

I'm good to draft over the next 2 weeks but then my schedule gets pretty sketchy with running around and leaving town during the holidays.

Ok, I'm going to try to push the draft as fast as possible to get it in & done before everyone goes to the holidays.

The holidays will be for open trading & pre-season style.

After the holidays, we would then start the season w/ the check points.

ALSO, GOING FORWARD, NEXT SEASON & then on if I continue to run GDL...

Draft order will be using a lottery system. Your team will be assigned "x" number of lottery balls. (I'll probably even post a video of the lottery!)

You will gain these balls by playing your games within each deadline. Getting far enough ahead of time will give you protection from LOSING balls to DNP's at season's end.

IN addition, I will have a private chat with some of the veteran coaches in the league to get a taste if they prefer to still add some weight to the lottery picks for team's with losing records and IF they like the idea of offsetting high draft picks with the option to have a handicap in the form of HOME/AWAY team setting advantages.

Top 10 (open to debate if this should be lowered to 5, 7, etc) picks cannot be traded.

Starting the draft ASAP is really important, thanks for being on top of this Brutus.

Also since I can only check the boards before 7am EST and after 6pm EST, being able to submit picks via text is huge. Should we PM cell #'s or something along those lines?

Absolutely, last year's Blitz draft a couple guys left cell phone numbers with certain people to get their picks in so their wasn't a long unneeded delay. But you can also download the AIM app on your phone, and be able to keep up with all the draft rumblings while following along with the official GDL XIV aim group blast, just make sure you except invite to the group, and set the aim app to have a notification when a message is recieved. And if you don't want notification every time one of us yahoo's post some ridiculous non sense like zzzzzzzz, or f**k Hokkee, or (mostly me) TRADES! there is a way to set the aim app to send you a text message when you receive a personal message from someone.

Absolutely, last year's Blitz draft a couple guys left cell phone numbers with certain people to get their picks in so their wasn't a long unneeded delay. But you can also download the AIM app on your phone, and be able to keep up with all the draft rumblings while following along with the official GDL XIV aim group blast, just make sure you except invite to the group, and set the aim app to have a notification when a message is recieved. And if you don't want notification every time one of us yahoo's post some ridiculous non sense like zzzzzzzz, or f**k Hokkee, or (mostly me) TRADES! there is a way to set the aim app to send you a text message when you receive a personal message from someone.

This is awesome, thanks for bringing me up to speed! I just DL'd the app. I don't want push notifications since that will be going off all the time, but setting it so I can get a text from a PM is perfect. I couldn't find that just browsing through the app, do you have any insight on how I can adjust that setting?

This is awesome, thanks for bringing me up to speed! I just DL'd the app. I don't want push notifications since that will be going off all the time, but setting it so I can get a text from a PM is perfect. I couldn't find that just browsing through the app, do you have any insight on how I can adjust that setting?

I don't, I only know about because Kingraph mentioned he has this in his app. So he would be the one to answer that question, so if you see this King, and can help him out that would be great.

Also we can't add you to the Aim blast because your aim is set to not take messages when your offline, you would need to change that setting. And when you do log onto your Aim you will get an invite to the GDL blast just accept.

There are two things -- one is connecting your mobile phone with AIM so you can get a text from someone when they message you (your status will be blue/mobile). You do that in AIM settings (DL the latest AIM or do it on the aim.com site). Note, you DON'T get a text on group chats. Just when someone messages you directly. Very convenient, just like giving your phone number to text.

The other option, and completely separate, is the AIM app. That is just like turning AIM on. Except it's on your phone. I would only use this if I'm not near a laptop and I want to initiate a chat or respond to a group chat (the text option is only good to reply to a text someone sends you). App is a bit buggy though, sometimes it won't sign you out when you exit the app (which sucks).

Anyway, hope that makes sense.