NHL'94 Forums

Home Ice Advantage

aqualizard

Hello and Good Day!

I did a search and couldn't find the info I want, but if someone has it, share the links please.

1. How big of an advantage is home ice advantage for the teams that have it?

2. How does it work? Does it affect every attribute? (Shooting, skating, checking etc. is 10% better? Does it impact likelihood of taking penalties?)

3. Confirm that if you take a team that has it, like CHI, in GDL, you reap the benefit? (So for GDL you should seekout teams that have HIGH and HIGH for Home Ice and Road Ice advantage, if such a team exists.)

Thanks!

Aqua

Probably the best thread on this topic: forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/12665-home-ice-advantage/

Not sure of the specifics of how it works, I think smoz at one point found the actual math, but you'd have to dig through threads to find that.

GDL makes all the home/road/pp/pk advantages the same through EARE to make it balanced.

I can answer number 3 the best. In gdl 1 it was best to pick a team with good presets but I don't think anyone thought about it because we didn't realize each team kept their original value.

Starting with gdl 2 all presets are equal and there is no extra benefit picking a team such as Chicago.

Certain attributes get boosted, but I can't remember which. Same with PP/PK. And in some cases it's relative, so it's the difference in rating between the two teams that matters.

Anyway, it's a real advantage.

Anaheim is "brutal" on the road and has a value of 3 for that attribute. Boston is "strong" at home and has a value of 2. I think it adds them, so the home advantage for boston when playing ANH is +5 on certain attributes.

When the game sets up a player, it takes their base rating (on the 0-6 scale), multiplies it by 5 (now the scale is 0-30) and also adds their random bonus (-3 to +2 out of 30), making their final rating from -3 to +32 (I'm not sure if it cuts off at the ends so they can't go beyond 0-30?). Then it uses that value to calculate their behaviour (speed, shot power, etc).

So that +5 from the home+away advantage gets added to a few of the home player attributes. Unfortunately, I don't remember which. I think shot accuracy is one.

Stickhandling must be one. It's about 500x more likely to get a 4-stickhandler to toddle with home advantage.

Yes, probably

I think it might be something like... OfA/DfA, StH... then on the PP it's Shot Accuracy.. and teams that are good Away get an increase Aggression when on the road. There are a few more, but I forget. My notes were not very clear.