NHL'94 Forums

GDL XIV rom issue...

So if anyone looks at my lineup, it's no secret what my strategy is...

Yzerman does the scoring while weight buggers feed him and blow everyone up on the ice.

Without my weight buggers this doesn't work.

I have Emerson and Drake (172s) on the wings.

I have 2 ok weight buggers on D with Pederson (164) as a backup.

So can someone explain to me why the fck Emerson and Drake are getting flipped up and down the ice and can't check to save their balls? Those 2 are getting beat down by >=196s every game I play in. They can't hit anyone. I'm not talking B checks either... I mean full "fire in the hole" blown out of their boots in open ice way more often than it should.

Pederson gets knocked da fck out by 188s and 196s all the god damned day. How is that even possible?

I came into this league knowing full well I wouldn't be a contender but I thought I would have fun hammering on C for the season.

I've played this game long enough and I know how the players feel and should be hitting.

Did I miss an announcement or something pertaining to the league rules this season?

Is something different on this rom?

CB check, and solid B checks. And glancing blows don't knock down 5 stick handle players with C check all the time. Just my .02.

The culprit here is, as has been said....CB. Also known as the "great equalizer","death from distance", and "lights out lightweight". In your defense, you were away for a while during the time when this tactic was discovered (credit Plabs) and made the front page news.

However, it doesn't affect who lightweights can knock over, they can still C check almost everyone.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Ultimately what this means is you will have to know the weights of all of your players AND your opponents during the game, and decide if you should execute a regular C-Check (light guys on heavy guys), or a C/B check (heavy guys on light guys)

Hey Raph, the above quote is from http://nhl94strategy.com/?page_id=101 which is your site, right?

This isn't quite right, is it? You really only have to know the weights of your own players. If they are light, you do C checks. If they are heavy, you do CB checks? The weights of the guys they are checking won't change how your guys should check, right?

(I won't be surprised if I have this wrong, but this is how it seems to me? And the less I have to keep track of the better, so I sure hope I am right!)

Edited by aqualizard

Hey Raph, the above quote is from http://nhl94strategy.com/?page_id=101 which is your site, right?

This isn't quite right, is it? You really only have to know the weights of your own players. If they are light, you do C checks. If they are heavy, you do CB checks? The weights of the guys they are checking won't change how your guys should check, right?

(I won't be surprised if I have this wrong, but this is how it seems to me? And the less I have to keep track of the better, so I sure hope I am right!)

If you have a midweight guy (6-8), you may want to c check fatties and CB lighter guys. But yeah, if you're on the extreme of either end, you don't have to think much about the checking method.

Most checks he is complaining about were perfect B checks, I know because he stopped the game and showed the replays about 10 times in our first 2 games, and they were all sticks to the nuts on the lightweight guys, there was 1, or 2 CB checks on Yzerman. But for the most part they were B checks.

One thing I've noticed is if you have been away for awhile you don't realize how much better even us lower B guys are at executing B checks if your not actively trying to dodge them, which has he wasn't.

yeah it's definitely the CB, I learned about it getting massacred hit wise by raph last year. No I got Scotty Stevens and he's f**kin s**t up! Concussions for all!!!

And yes Steve Smith laid a couple CB checks on Stevie Y, but again the others were all B checks executed well.

Most checks he is complaining about were perfect B checks, I know because he stopped the game and showed the replays about 10 times in our first 2 games, and they were all sticks to the nuts on the lightweight guys, there was 1, or 2 CB checks on Yzerman. But for the most part they were B checks.

One thing I've noticed is if you have been away for awhile you don't realize how much better even us lower B guys are at executing B checks if your not actively trying to dodge them, which has he wasn't.

haha dude, I wasn't even referring to you. I stopped the game twice to see if they were CB checks or why Pederson was getting his clock cleaned b/c of other series I played in. So quit while you're ahead and don't get your panties in a bunch over there.

To the rest of the replies: I know, I know... you say weight bug and checking in the same sentence and everyone automatically goes "its CB check bud". i know what it is and I know when someone does it... and some guys are extremely efficient with it. I also know when someone isn't using a CB and my guys are still getting blown up.

I understand my lightweights are susceptible to this type of check, however, I should be able to C check most players using a 172 and it's not even close to happening.

I ran a test earlier and randomly chose Arizona (cpu)... I could barely C check any of those forwards... and Ysebart, forget it. He fell maybe 1 out of 5 hits.

! Edited by Uncle Seth, Today, 9:56 PM

Edited by IAmFleury'sHipCheck

Look at all the posts that completely missed what EA was trying to say! lol. I thought it was pretty clear that he wasn't referring to the CB check.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any problems with the checking.

Look at all the posts that completely missed what EA was trying to say! lol. I thought it was pretty clear that he wasn't referring to the CB check.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any problems with the checking.

Big thank you Plabax for actually taking the time to read the post... someone said CB and then everyone else did a CB pile on.

I was hoping for feedback similar to yours. That is, you haven't noticed any issues with checking.

Pretty sure this is referring to why they buggers are getting knocked around too - B and CB checks 😊😊😊😊

So can someone explain to me why the fck Emerson and Drake are getting flipped up and down the ice and can't check to save their balls? Those 2 are getting beat down by >=196s every game I play in. They can't hit anyone. I'm not talking B checks either... I mean full "fire in the hole" blown out of their boots in open ice way more often than it should.

Pederson gets knocked da fck out by 188s and 196s all the god damned day. How is that even possible?

You read it wrong and I read it right. What he is trying to say is that.. The checking in the ROM is messed up (for him at least).

I know the CB check has no influence on a player's ability to check a player with a normal C check... so to ME (and EA) it makes sense not to think that the CB check is the correct answer as to why his 4 weight buggers cannot make a regular C check, but are being checked.

Edited by Premium

You read it wrong and I read it right. What he is trying to say is that.. The checking in the ROM is messed up (for him at least).

I know the CB check has no influence on a player's ability to check a player with a normal C check... so to ME (and EA) it makes sense not to think that the CB check is the correct answer as to why his 4 weight buggers cannot make a regular C check, but are being checked.

no, we're both reading it partially correct.

He's wondering how his buggers can get knocked down so easily

AND

how come they can't knock others down.

AND

Yeah.. and it's not because of the CB check. Since when does the CB check make light players suck with the C check?

He's trying to say the checking is messed up for him and when he means that his light players are being checked, I'm pretty sure he's referring to regular C checks and not CB checks.

AND

These responses (outside of Plabax) insinuate that I don't know what a CB check is... if it were a CB check or AI checking my guys (same thing), I would have pointed that out.

Plabax said he didn't notice anything on this rom that was weird with checking... done.

Instead everyone starts in with their words of wisdom on CB checking... oh, in addition, I get a link with an in depth explanation of the CB check and even a video to show me how to do it. Awesome! Thanks so much everyone for sharing all your worldly nhl94 knowledge!

These responses (outside of Plabax) insinuate that I don't know what a CB check is... if it were a CB check or AI checking my guys (same thing), I would have pointed that out.

Plabax said he didn't notice anything on this rom that was weird with checking... done.

Instead everyone starts in with their words of wisdom on CB checking... oh, in addition, I get a link with an in depth explanation of the CB check and even a video to show me how to do it. Awesome! Thanks so much everyone for sharing all your worldly nhl94 knowledge!

b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9

^ this.

As the guy who created the ROM, it was done from a clean 30-team ROM base, players added from original '94 ROM, smoz hack to see accurate player ratings, EARE to set home/away advantages to even. Everything else was graphics with TM. Nothing should have caused any checking issues.

And C/CB is also very effective (TK is such a b-check fanboy). I'm a big user and do just fine. I think whatever suits your style.

I suggest EA be a bit more clear next time because it was an extreme challenge for guys like Icestorm to get the gist of the OP. lol

EA obviously typed that out of frustration so its understandable it was all over the place. Why can't my buggers knock down guys, why heavy guys are taking my buggers down do easily etc.

it was on heals of playing lupz who can be a very solid checker and is loaded with 5STH players.

EA obviously typed that out of frustration so its understandable it was all over the place. Why can't my buggers knock down guys, why heavy guys are taking my buggers down do easily etc.

it was on heals of playing lupz who can be a very solid checker and is loaded with 5STH players.

Typed out of frustration... yes, but from an observation over the course of the season... not one series.

All over the place?... I don't think so. The message was pretty clear and concise... for those who chose to read it in its entirety.

Reading it a few times, I still think it's easy to assume you didn't know about CB. I don't understand the attitude.

Maybe you can record your game (I'll be happy to covert to video) and we can see what you're talking about.

So wait a second, what's this CB thing again? I keep hearing that term tossed around here but I just can't seem to get a grasp on it... It would be great if someone could post another link that explains it... but this time if you could be so generous, please dumb it down for me. I've only been playing this game on/off for 20+ years so all these new concepts of pressing a C button and then a B button completely elude me.