NHL'94 Forums

Tecmo's League Format

Premium

http://tecmobowl.org/forum/topic/67468-hstl-s35-schedule-deadlines-consequences/

Take a look at how the Tecmo Bowl guys run their leagues. Note that these leagues have 24+ coaches too, so certain coaches don't match up in leagues that have more than 17 coaches unless the length of the season is extended or a higher rate of coaches are added to the releases.

If/When you completely understand this format, you'll realize how clever it is. If you don't think it's a great system, you aren't examining it correctly.

What if we used this format, but allowed for games to be uploaded in advance (before they are released) without any effect (on checkpoints and optionally the website) until they are actually released?

Not to say that this negates your point, but it's worth pointing out that a game of NHL '94 with 5-minute periods takes about 10 minutes of real time, while a game of Tecmo Super Bowl takes about 20 minutes of real time, meaning that a TSB league has to run at a slower pace simply due to how the game works. A 94 league can be expected to run at a faster pace because the games don't take as long.

I think Tickenest is thrown off by how they say "week 1 & 2" -- but the actual corresponding real-world deadlines are 1 week apart (ie 1 "week" = 1 "game" in footballspeak). So 16 "weeks" (aka "games") takes 8 weeks. ?

Worth a try I guess.

Basically, prescheduled games. Miss a game, get a demerit. Get caught up, a demerit goes away. So if you fall a couple weeks behind (2 demerits), you need to be all caught up for 2 weeks in a row to make up for it.

Accumulate 3-4 demerits and you can be replaced.

Obviously should be able to log the game early if played early.

One issue could be if someone with no demerits screws over someone with 3.

By the time you need 2 games played, there are 6 games released on the schedule. In the league, the most you would play someone is twice (they are in your division). You have one game against all other opponents.

It works when you have a small schedule like this. In our situation, we have 40+ game seasons, with multiple games against all coaches. I'm not sure how well it would work for us.

Wasn't there a league that did release the schedule weekly? Maybe Gens Dynasty?

By the time you need 2 games played, there are 6 games released on the schedule. In the league, the most you would play someone is twice (they are in your division). You have one game against all other opponents.

It works when you have a small schedule like this. In our situation, we have 40+ game seasons, with multiple games against all coaches. I'm not sure how well it would work for us.

Wasn't there a league that did release the schedule weekly? Maybe Gens Dynasty?

I know the first stats league (not on these forums) had a weekly or maybe even daily schedule. In Blitz, I released half the games at the start then the other half a week or two later (so there wouldn't be people practically done in the first week).

I think for 94 you'd just schedule whole matchups of two players, rather than individual games, so it works out the same as that tecmo schedule, no?

I did this in my 92 league last year.

It worked perfectly. We had 10 coaches plus a B League and had 100 % completion.

It is the way to go, and what I would advocate for or else just play the regular season in 2 weeks or something short like that.

Also keeping momentum in the playoffs is important.

I like the demerit system quite a bit. But I agree with what was said above, that getting the timing down for large leagues with 44 or 56 games would be extremely difficult to accomplish. Guys go on vacations/business trips, etc. and can miss two weeks at a time, but still catch up two weeks down the line.

I love the demerit system (and associated penalties) since that would help keep serious track of slackers. The third-level consequence is great because it is so wide open hahaha

I want to use that for VHL next season :)

I like the demerit system quite a bit. But I agree with what was said above, that getting the timing down for large leagues with 44 or 56 games would be extremely difficult to accomplish. Guys go on vacations/business trips, etc. and can miss two weeks at a time, but still catch up two weeks down the line.

:huh: We usually play all of our games against a coach at once. Like I said, their leagues are larger than ours. The amount of games played is not a factor in how well it would work. It depends on how many coaches you have to play within the time frame of the season. You could make some coaches not play each other over the course of the season. That, or make the league smaller, or try and fit in twenty-three match-ups into the schedule.

PlaVax you sure do have alot of good ideas considering your hangING up the keyboard after this gdl. Maybe you will pull a hokkee and comeback with different name maybe a sex change! Could be first female champion!