NHL'94 Forums

[Oct 2016 - Toronto, ON] - King of 94 deux

halifax

Just some tidbits we're looking at for next tournament.

-to be held sometime in mid to late Oct.2016 in toronto.

-goal is to at least double the number of participants (256+)

-possibly a different venue than real sports, to accommodate more set ups (16 snes, 16 genesis). Trying to see if we can find CRT TVs to use this time. Any help from torontonians would be appreciated. :)

-open for people to register for both consoles should they choose to do so.

-tournament altered format. Opening round still has triple elimination with 32 players advancing. Losses will carry over to the final round with the Final round being dubbed the "extra life" round, courtesy of super bud Smozoma. Every player is given an extra loss life. So if you advance with no losses, you have to lose 4 times in the final round to be eliminated, if you advance with 1 loss, you have to lose 3 times to be done....and of course those that qualify with 2 losses, leaves just 2 more losses and your done.

-autograph session with bok

Expanding a little...

Tourney Format
It'll be a similar format to last time: morning groups and afternoon triple-elimination groups, then a finals. Except, as Halifax says, your losses carry over into the finals, but you get an "extra life" (it's a quadruple-elimination bracket, but you may start in the 1- or 2-loss bracket). Also, we are aiming for at least 256 participants!

I know it would be nice to start the finals with a clean slate, but with the number of people we want to accommodate, the extra life solution saves time and barely changes the results (the results in Toronto were extremely predictable based on the results for the morning/afternoon stages... I think the top 3 would actually have been the same with the extra life format, although maybe Mikail would have been 2nd in SNES).

Considering how big of a mess the scheduling was in Toronto, how can we possibly double the number of players? In the Saskatoon tourney, the games were scheduled to be at particular stations are particular times, and this info was posted at the stations and available on google docs -- and you knew where and when your next game was as soon as you won or lost (rather than needing to report your score to find out). The schedule ran really smoothly (except it needs to be updated to add a few food and smoke breaks). So.. we think it's doable! Here is a sample of the schedule from Saskatoon:
post-253-0-45541500-1457164707_thumb.png

You can see that there are a bunch of games were your next game is actually immediately, and at the same station, so you just wait for your opponent to show up. Easy.

CRT TVs
When it comes to the CRT TVs (since we probably won't be at Real Sports this time)... I think we need some Torontonians to nab some TVs off ebay/craigslist/kijiji and store them in their basements for us... we need 32... Halifax should have some tips for acquiring free ones (people are happy to have someone come and take their old heavy tube TV away). Volunteering to acquire and store a few TVs would be extremely helpful. If you need to buy them I'm sure you can be reimbursed from the signup fees. They're usually ~$50, probably negotiable.

Are you guys thinking about another bar or maybe renting a hall and having it there. That may be easier especially moving in TV's etc.

I like the extra life change and the station scheduling is awesome.

I know one thing I'll do different next time - not go back to the hotel and take a nap. I think it took an edge off.

Are you guys thinking about another bar or maybe renting a hall and having it there. That may be easier especially moving in TV's etc.

I know one thing I'll do different next time - not go back to the hotel and take a nap. I think it took an edge off.

Yeah, I think Real Sports was pretty expensive, and the space was limited (it was pretty tight for 16 systems, not much room). So a cheaper, larger location could be better.. although it would be neat to have an audience (we were overshadowed by the big Blue Jays game last year).

A nap worked for kgman :D

CRT TV's are awesome.

The old games look better and play better on them.

I have 4 for my events.

1 that I have left over from back in the day and 3 that I have gotten for free or less than $10.

Hopefully we will have them this summer in Hay River also! :exciting:

"Losing your edge" had to be better than being on the verge of hallucination from lack of sleep like me and Witt were.

• 2 months later...

"Losing your edge" had to be better than being on the verge of hallucination from lack of sleep like me and Witt were.

Cocaine.

I'm in Quebec montreal right now any buds wanna play this weekend let me know and I also need some greens almost got robbed near berri station cause I was looking for weed and saying I was the king of toronto which is kinda true!

CRT TVs

When it comes to the CRT TVs (since we probably won't be at Real Sports this time)... I think we need some Torontonians to nab some TVs off ebay/craigslist/kijiji and store them in their basements for us... we need 32... Halifax should have some tips for acquiring free ones (people are happy to have someone come and take their old heavy tube TV away). Volunteering to acquire and store a few TVs would be extremely helpful. If you need to buy them I'm sure you can be reimbursed from the signup fees. They're usually ~$50, probably negotiable.

I am in Toronto, and try to help. (I make the www.kingof94.com website already.) I live downtown. I have little space and no car, so getting TVs would be a problem. But, maybe I can nab a few? Two big things that come to mind are:

1. 32 CRT TVs is a tall order!

2. And if we do nab 32, what are we supposed to do with them after the tourney?

If somehow I did provide 3-4 TVs, it will probably be a bigger hassle to deal with them afterward than acquiring them in the first place?

pretty sure this won't be happening unless you can use existing facility that gamers have setup......there is a reason why this was first real tournament In 20+ yeare

For the Tecmo Bowl tourney, a lot of the equipment is brought by participants. So we may just need to ask people to bring their TVs. I have a 20" I could bring (which is a bit on the large side for what we need). If not enough people are saying they are bringing anything, then maybe we give a $5 discount for each TV brought and used, maybe scale the $ based on the size of the TV.

If we want to have our own collection of TVs, a small, temperature-controlled storage room runs about $75/month, ~$1000/year from my quick research, which could be recouped from registration fees. Transporting them to the venue could be a pain, though.

Alternatively, there are loads of participants from Toronto, so maybe we just ask people to store a few TVs in their closets and basements for us, and give them discounts for future tournies.

I'm sure there are Smash tournies in Toronto (the girl who set up the twitch stream is from Toronto and is involved in the Smash tourney scene), so we could try to get in touch with them and see what they do for TVs.

I know Halifax and Mikey have been bouncing around ideas once in a while, so the tourney is still a go, but may not be the 256 players originally hoped for.

I'm in Quebec montreal right now any buds wanna play this weekend let me know and I also need some greens almost got robbed near berri station cause I was looking for weed and saying I was the king of toronto which is kinda true!

Where you are in montreal ?

We still on for October 2016 in Toronto?

Mikey was going to (or has already) get in touch with the guy who helped with promotions for this event last time. Currently looking at getting set up at a hotel, renting a conference room, getting a liquor licence to sell beer. And just buying a ton of food (pizza?) for the event. It will save on costs vs what it costs to have it at Real Sports (very expensive).

Reason I ask is I probably can't take September Saturday off & October Saturday. So I'd likely not be able to attend the Wisconsin tourney.

Brute's allowed maybe one Saturday a year off.

Just wanted to make sure Toronto was still on before missing that one.

I'm staying near berri station near all the motherducking crackhead there are so many fucked up people hear and impossible to buy weed. I'm wiling to take a metro I got the weekend pass

I'm staying near berri station near all the motherducking crackhead there are so many fucked up people hear and impossible to buy weed. I'm wiling to take a metro I got the weekend pass

Hey. If you wanna play live at Funzoo downtown (bar with retro gaming consoles) throw down some 94. They even goth an NBA jam arcade booth

Also to the issue regarding TV's:

IMO It's in the interest of having the best experience possible that we either use computer monitors or old TV's.

Most flatscreens today have a massive native delay (35-50 ms) which makes it appear really laggy and can f**k up some people's game (On top of not being consistent from tv to tv) which are usually not present in older TV's or computer monitors with minimal delay (<1ms)

Make the tournament more than one day.. :)

Allow the use of emulators.. and hack the ROMs to get rid of penalties (with b-checks) so the games are 8 mins instead of 25.

Edited by Premium

thanks fpb but I got ride to quebec city for 10$ f**k those crackheads if 1 more person tries to rob me I'm gonna go full retard on them .....hopefully quebec city is nicer

Mikey was going to (or has already) get in touch with the guy who helped with promotions for this event last time. Currently looking at getting set up at a hotel, renting a conference room, getting a liquor licence to sell beer. And just buying a ton of food (pizza?) for the event. It will save on costs vs what it costs to have it at Real Sports (very expensive).

So to be clear, Halifax, is Mikey is still involved in Ko94 II? If yes, is he as involved as he was before, or is he more of a consultant now? What other guys made it happen, and are they equally involved? (I know yourself and Smozoma figured big. And I can keep doing the website if need be.) I am worried that without the same crew and the same effort, this thing won't happen?

Is the aim still to double the tourney size, or has this been scaled back?

I think the easiest thing to do would be to have it at the same place, which had TVs already that worked well enough, and have the tourney the same size. You guys have experience at that venue now, so it may avoid new hiccups if you relocate or try a new approach (providing clunky CRTs, for instance)? (Plus most "trip reports" in this forum indicated the venue was excellent. Kinda think Mikey and the crew hit a home run with their first at bat!)

So to be clear, Halifax, is Mikey is still involved in Ko94 II? If yes, is he as involved as he was before, or is he more of a consultant now? What other guys made it happen, and are they equally involved? (I know yourself and Smozoma figured big. And I can keep doing the website if need be.) I am worried that without the same crew and the same effort, this thing won't happen?

Is the aim still to double the tourney size, or has this been scaled back?

I think the easiest thing to do would be to have it at the same place, which had TVs already that worked well enough, and have the tourney the same size. You guys have experience at that venue now, so it may avoid new hiccups if you relocate or try a new approach (providing clunky CRTs, for instance)? (Plus most "trip reports" in this forum indicated the venue was excellent. Kinda think Mikey and the crew hit a home run with their first at bat!)

Yes Mikey, Smoz and I will have the same involvement we had before. As far the tournament size, that is still being discussed. The original thought was to get double the amount but there are factors come into play on that decision. # of set ups, amount of time we have available to play.

The reason we are looking at a different venue is cost. It costs quite a bit of money to rent the sports bar. Agreed the setup worked pretty well there, but if there's a way we can save some money and put that towards the prize winnings(without sacrificing the tournament set up quality), then I'd rather see that happen.

Yes Mikey, Smoz and I will have the same involvement we had before. As far the tournament size, that is still being discussed. The original thought was to get double the amount but there are factors come into play on that decision. # of set ups, amount of time we have available to play.

The reason we are looking at a different venue is cost. It costs quite a bit of money to rent the sports bar. Agreed the setup worked pretty well there, but if there's a way we can save some money and put that towards the prize winnings(without sacrificing the tournament set up quality), then I'd rather see that happen.

I am glad to hear it is the same guys again! (Was afraid Mikey was too busy.) You guys are a great team!! :)

I strongly feel that money should be spent on making sure things go smooth, over Prize money. I am pretty sure the same amount of people will show up regardless of prize money. After all, only 10%-15% of people (or so) even have a crack at prize dollars. I bet you could have NO prize money and the event would attract pretty well the same people. It is the recognition that most people want, and meeting up with other NHL'94 fans that people want, not the money, IMO.

I will stay quiet about this after this point, cuz I appreciate what you guys do and don't want to beat a dead horse, but even with the Real Sports Bar being costly, I would stay there (and have less prize dollars if need be) because it will be such a huge advantage building on your familiarity, as well as the familiarity for everyone else who already participated at that venue, versus trying something new and possibly winding up with too many unforseen problems.

Edited by aqualizard