NHL'94 Forums

Palette/Creation Limitations?

So I recently got in to NHL 94 mods as a byproduct of an 8-bit project I was doing, and I have to ask, after downloading a few dozen mods and playing through all of them, it seems like nobody was able to get certain teams/jerseys right. The biggest example (or maybe the one I noticed due to bias) being the Atlanta Thrashers. I'm not sure if it's because people weren't willing to put in the effort for a team that's not openly more popular, or because of limitations of editing the game.

I haven't gotten in to editing/modding myself yet, but before I do for the sake of one thing, I figured it was worth asking. Are the palette/sprite editing tools limited to only palette swaps that make things like full blue sleeves (I think trudat was able to get the white jerseys right in his NHL 94 2011 mod for SNES) and asymmetric jerseys impossible?

While I'm at it, for SNES mods, is it impossible to replace logos/center ice logos in mods? I've noticed that post-expansion teams on SNES mods always use the all-star logos on the select screen and on the ice for teams like the Wild and Thrashers.

I guess I'm just asking to see what the limits are before I dive in to modding expecting to be able to do things that are technically impossible.

For Genesis, we use NOSE and the ability to change colors to specific items is limited by how the game codes the palettes. So you can change about 6-7 area colors on the sprites relatively easily in NOSE.

If you wanted to do something more specific, like add another stripe to a jersey, more separate colors, etc. that would require you to edit ALL the sprites in the game, which would be quite an undertaking. Also, the home ice logo uses the same color palette as the home jerseys, so you'd have to make sure those work together.

Hope that makes sense. Here's the Atlanta jersey's I did for the latest draft league ROM:

post-2578-0-93711000-1459883066_thumb.pn

No idea about SNES hacking.

Yeah that does make a lot of sense. I figured it was like that but I wasn't entirely sure. but theoretically, I could go in and add more stripes/colored sleeves as long as I was okay with it applying to all teams. Hopefully even doing that much wouldn't be too hard. I might download NOSE and give it a shot

Yeah that does make a lot of sense. I figured it was like that but I wasn't entirely sure. but theoretically, I could go in and add more stripes/colored sleeves as long as I was okay with it applying to all teams. Hopefully even doing that much wouldn't be too hard. I might download NOSE and give it a shot

To add a stripe to the sprites, you'd have to use Tile Molester and edit the individual sprites (there's a lot!)

This should help:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/199-editing-player-sprites-in-tile-molester/?hl=sprites