NHL'94 Forums

NHL2006a & NHL2006b released

Mahavishnu

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the rom. It's really great work and I can see it getting a lot of use online with my friends.

Anyway, as a die hard Flyers fan, I was wondering if you would take some constructive criticism about a few player ratings on the Flyers. I'm sure you get this crap all the time, and I would make the changes myself, but I know you will be updating the rom throughout the year, and was hoping you might consider these changes to keep permanently in the latest versions. Anyway, with my best attempts to stay fair, here goes;

-Primeau and Brashear are pretty slow. I would lower their speeds from 3.

-Gagne's speed has to be raised to 5 or 6. He is one of the the 3 or 4 fastest skaters in the league. Forsberg actually just said he was the fastest player he has ever played with. I also would raise his D awareness to at least 3 as he is one of the best 2 way players on the team and gets plenty of PK time.

-For Forsberg, IMO he is the best passer in the league, so I would think he would get a 6, but he's already got a 5, so no big deal. His stickhandling though must be raised to a 5, as this guy has unbelievable stick skills.

-A few notes on shooting ability--according the coaching staff, Mike Knuble has the hardest shot on the team. His shot power should be raised from 3. Also, Jeff Carter is considered to have the overall best shot on the team, as his shot has drawn comparisons to Joe Sakic. Perhaps he should get a little more love than 3 and 3 in shooting.

-On the down side, I've never seen anything to warrant Primeau getting a 4 on shot power or Hatcher getting a 5 there. I would lower them both. I'm torn about whether Forsberg's shot power should be lowered though.

-Mike Richards should have a few stats raised. This guy has been the third best forward on the team behind Forsberg and Gagne throughout camp and so far this year, and should have an overall in the mid60s IMO. His shooting skills should definitely be raised from 2 and 2, and personally I think his checking and/or his passing could go up on point to 4.

-I've ragged on Primeau, but to counterbalance, I would raise his D-awareness to 4 as he is the team's main PK guy and centers the checking line quite well.

-Other changes I would make:

Lower Seidenburg's passing to 3

Lower Savage's roughness to 3

Lower Rathje's checking to 4

Lower Radivojevic's O-Awareness to 3

Well there's my 2 cents...hope you consider those.

You could make the changes easily with the NOSE editor.

I did make those changes with the NOSE editor for myself. The thing is, they will constantly be updating the rom with trades and whatnot, and I didn't want to have to remake those changes everytime I downloaded a new version of the rom.

Thanks for the rom. It's really great work and I can see it getting a lot of use online with my friends.

Anyway, as a die hard Flyers fan, I was wondering if you would take some constructive criticism about a few player ratings on the Flyers. I'm sure you get this crap all the time, and I would make the changes myself, but I know you will be updating the rom throughout the year, and was hoping you might consider these changes to keep permanently in the latest versions. Anyway, with my best attempts to stay fair, here goes;

-Primeau and Brashear are pretty slow. I would lower their speeds from 3.

-Gagne's speed has to be raised to 5 or 6. He is one of the the 3 or 4 fastest skaters in the league. Forsberg actually just said he was the fastest player he has ever played with. I also would raise his D awareness to at least 3 as he is one of the best 2 way players on the team and gets plenty of PK time.

-For Forsberg, IMO he is the best passer in the league, so I would think he would get a 6, but he's already got a 5, so no big deal. His stickhandling though must be raised to a 5, as this guy has unbelievable stick skills.

-A few notes on shooting ability--according the coaching staff, Mike Knuble has the hardest shot on the team. His shot power should be raised from 3. Also, Jeff Carter is considered to have the overall best shot on the team, as his shot has drawn comparisons to Joe Sakic. Perhaps he should get a little more love than 3 and 3 in shooting.

-On the down side, I've never seen anything to warrant Primeau getting a 4 on shot power or Hatcher getting a 5 there. I would lower them both. I'm torn about whether Forsberg's shot power should be lowered though.

-Mike Richards should have a few stats raised. This guy has been the third best forward on the team behind Forsberg and Gagne throughout camp and so far this year, and should have an overall in the mid60s IMO. His shooting skills should definitely be raised from 2 and 2, and personally I think his checking and/or his passing could go up on point to 4.

-I've ragged on Primeau, but to counterbalance, I would raise his D-awareness to 4 as he is the team's main PK guy and centers the checking line quite well.

-Other changes I would make:

Lower Seidenburg's passing to 3

Lower Savage's roughness to 3

Lower Rathje's checking to 4

Lower Radivojevic's O-Awareness to 3

Well there's my 2 cents...hope you consider those.

Thanks a lot for your notes. Here's my 2 cents with my bad English.

You know, there's about 600 NHL players to made for NHL2006a and NHL2006b bin, so there might be few errors, but these attributes are also my point of view of Flyers' players. You really should make your own bins, if the Flyers are so fucked up.

I'm going to do big attribute update in December. It would be very stupid to raise Richard's or Carter's attributes when there's hardly player 10 games in NHL. When these guys have played 20-35 games, we'll see what kind of players they really are. Same with almost every other player. Pavel Vorobiev is best scorer for the Blackhawks, shoud he be overall 70? I don't think so, because I want to see, if he can keep his groove longer than first 10 games.

I can do Brashears' and Primeau's corrections and few others also. Gagne is not going to be speed 6, because no player in NHL2006a or NHL2006 has speed 6. Forsberg can say anything he wants, but he don't have any clue about updating roms.

But you should really know that when making players, I must also check their overall attributes and teams overall succees. If Flyers, Sharks, Predators etc. is top team in NHL, then all of their players are little better in NHL2006a and NHL2006b. If they suck, then their players will be little worse. And if for example Hatcher plays good in real NHL, I must make him good to NHL2006a and NHL2006b. Therefore some of his attributes might be better than in real life. There is lot of things to check when you make players.

I will consider your notes, but I won't make them all. I hope you will be patient with attributes, because I don't have time to update them daily, weekly or even monthly. Updating trades and transactions already takes a lot of time. I will update every players' attributes in December. I really hope you understand what kind of process it is to make and update players. It takes a lot of time and as I said, there is a lot of things to check when you make players.

Fair enough. I certainly didn't mean to complain as I have made MLS patches for Winning Eleven 7 and 8 and understand how time consuming projects like this can be, and there's a reason why I'm not out there releasing updated roms.

I also understand how it's your own project and you can make any changes you see fit and that you can't account for every little ratings quibble people may have that use your rom. I just wanted to offer some suggestions as I always appreciated feedback when I was working on roster updates, whether or not I chose to make those changes.

Anyway, thanks again for your hard work.

I did make those changes with the NOSE editor for myself. The thing is, they will constantly be updating the rom with trades and whatnot, and I didn't want to have to remake those changes everytime I downloaded a new version of the rom.

you can use a program called Segatool, and its IPS patching system to make the necessary changes in just few seconds.

more about it at http://madjock.emulationworld.com/Megad/Files/Segatool.htm

Intentional. You can't add nicknames for Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus or Minnesota.

Can't?

You have enough space in bytes with the original "All Stars East/West" and "Madison Square Garden" text to do all but Nashville in NHL2006b, which can be easily fixed by shortening the arena name to "Gaylord E'Centre" or something of the like.

You just have to lessen the hex value of (and move when appropriate) the associated name length bytes for the 4 different team text items stored within.

Attached is an example I did in Hex Workshop (to keep to the same basic offset structure of the original rom) for the NH2006a rom. The game engine definately does support the changes when made, as the images also shows.

post-11-1130669583_thumb.jpg

But then they would have to use your editor.

Sorry bud, but that was was purist hex (addict) edit that can be done in minutes without the aid of NOSE to simply prove that you can have nicknames for the All Star teams. :secret_smile:

• 5 months later...

does anybody know that u can add the 4 expantion teams(2 in a 2 in :) by redooing the playoff draw??..........u cant play as them but u can play them in the playoffs.......allthough the center ice for them is blank, and i dont know how to edit center ice-yet. can any body fix this please??

So much for my project of Playoffs 06!

<scraps and enjoys .bin>

Awesome stuff, thanks :)

Edit: As a Calgary supporter, I felt the team felt about right. Kiprusoff's stats must be high, as they should be, because he saved my ass in two games so far! Just like Calgary haha

Edit2: Dwayne Roloson as a 98 overall? Seems a little stacked for an average kind of goalkeeper. Though I don't know how goalie OVR's are counted.

Thanks for making these ROMs.

Some thoughts on a few things:

Goalies:

* Roloson: I do think he's one of the better goalies in the league and had a ~.930 save% over the previous two seasons, but he has a higher rating than Kiprosoff and Luongo, which isn't right. He lost the number 1 position to Fernandez this year.

* Legace and Osgood having the same rating. Legace's stats have been significantly better this year.

* Cloutier seems a bit overrated, and Auld a bit underrated.

Ottawa:

* Meszaros led the league in +/- for almost the entire season, which I think warrants a DefAw better than 2.

* Chara has a 100+MPH shot, but has only a 4 Shot Power rating.

* Fisher is a very aggressive player, one of those guys you can tell is always working his hardest. He's really exciting to watch, actually. His 0 in fighting is way too low, too (though fighting doesn't matter in '94..).

Elite Players:

* There are no skaters with an overal rating over 90. Is there a reason for this? Forsberg 88, Jagr 84, Thornton 82... I'd like to see some 90+ guys.

* Why does no one get a 6 speed? I don't know who I'd give it to, but I think a few players should have it.

Checking:

* Since checking in NHL94 is actually determined largely by the weight of the players, maybe the weight stat should be used to indicate their hitting and not their actual weight. Chara is a weakling in the ROM due to his weight. When Kariya can take out Chara with ease.. something is wrong. : ) Chara should be a joy to have on D, but he's useless due to his inability to hit.

i must say the feel of this rom is nothing like the original which is why i dislike it.. the elite players are very underrated.. getting the old feel back i think would require higher ratings for elite guys and MORE SPEED plus low weight for the good hitters...

the feel of the original rom was awesome and much faster than this rom. i agree with having high goaltending ratings but low ratings for elite guys makes no sense..

I agree with Habs about the feel of the rom. The forwards are too low, with not enough guys in the 80s or high 70s. That and the goalies are ludicrously high. Obviously this was a conscious choice of the makers so I presume this won't be changing.

I spent a while I going through the rom editing the player ratings, primarily lowering the goalies, lowering dmen shot accuracy (which are all very low in real 94), and raising elite forwards. Still needs some tweaks though.

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry to hear that our roms are totally useless s**t. I'll try to make them better. But it's just impossible to please everyone, because people like different things...

About some of the attributes discussed here:

-I don't think any of the current players deserves speed 6. Pavel Bure might have speed 6.

-some likes ultra fast players and weak goaltendes. We think that it's best for gameplay to have good goalies and equally matched players. That way games are tighter and more exiting. In original NHL94 you could easily score 10-20 goals in 5min period games, that's not realistic. Original NHL94 had too wide margins between players overall ratings: elite players were something like 90 and the rest were something like 60. Not good. We like that scoring is harder and in NHL2006a and b it is harder!

smozoma:

-You are right about most of the players you listed (I disagree with speed 6 and overall 90 thing). I haven't had time to check every players attributes right now. Is a said, I'm planning to update all player and team attributes after the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I like the tough goalies. I'm in the 30-team stats league, and games were usually pretty close. I don't think I scored more than 5 goals in any game, and I had a 34-9-4 record. I won a lot of games by just one or two goals with my goalie saving my butt in the last minute with miracle saves on one-timers.

I think the original ROM had low goalies so that bad players could still play the game without being frustrated, since it's very hard to score until you learn some moves.. and it's hard to learn the moves if you aren't scoring : P For experienced players, better and more balanced goalies are needed to keep things close.

I can understand that there aren't really any guys deserving 6 in skating, especially with there being no all star skills competition this year to set a couple guys apart from the pack (still, no one these days inspires the fear guys like Bure used to). I'd still like to see a couple guys in the 90s overall, though.. Jagr and Thornton blew the rest of the league out of the water in points this year (too bad Forsberg wasn't healthy). One of the things that made 94 so great, I think, was that the great players felt .. great! : ) In newer games, the players all feel pretty much the same (nhl2006 on the xbox just bores me). It's nice for some of them to have some personality. I like that the players are closely balanced in the ROM, but having a couple superstars is fun.

Either way, this is a great pair of ROMs, and I can't wait for the new ROM and the next season of the stats league..

actually.. Roloson is earning his 98 rating so far in the playoffs :P Who'd have expected EDM to be up 2-1

Hard goalies are where it's at, especially for a playoff rom, since playoffs are where goalies typically step it up.

As for 'elite' players being better, I don't know, I think they are. Smyth and Iginla in my Flames/Oilers series seem a lot more potent than the others on the ice. It's mostly just subtle things tho, like being able to take a check and shot accuracy, but yeah. Maybe it's just me. But I like the NHL2006b gameplay more than the original I think.

ya i dont actually dislike this rom..it is pretty solid.. just needs some tweaks thats all

but if your going to have roloson who is apparently 98? OV..why not have jagr who is probably the best player in the world right now a 90 OV or so..also Ovechkin is probably the most dynamic player in the world hes gota be up there as well.

ya i dont actually dislike this rom..it is pretty solid.. just needs some tweaks thats all

but if your going to have roloson who is apparently 98? OV..why not have jagr who is probably the best player in the world right now a 90 OV or so..also Ovechkin is probably the most dynamic player in the world hes gota be up there as well.

Don't you read my messages?

We think that it's best for gameplay to have GOOD goalies and equally matched players. That way games are tighter and more exiting. In original NHL94 you could easily score 10-20 goals in 5min period games, that's not realistic. Original NHL94 had too wide margins between players overall ratings: elite players were something like 90 and the rest were something like 60. Not good. We like that scoring is harder and in NHL2006a & b it is harder, because goalies are GOOD and skaters are not so good!

And as I said, I'm going to update player attributes after the Stanley Cup playoffs and then Dwayne Roloson is not going to be OV98. But Jaromir Jagr is never gonna be OV90 in NHL2006a & b.

This is my and swos' view of updated NHL94. If you don't like it, be free to edit and update your own version. As I said, it's just impossible to please everyone, because people like different things. You like superhero skaters with overall 90, we don't.

The elevated goalie ratings are something I really like, it makes the game more challenging to score.

I do agree that some of the player ratings don't make sense, mainly shot accuracy, but I just tune a player in nose if I feel somethings out of place.

The new net/crease is cool too.

Overall I'd give the roms 9/10.