NHL'94 Forums

S16 - GENS B: MattHurray takes over Toronto

kingraph

This is what happens when you take Toronto with the first overall pick lol

Didn't get to chat with him, but etownboi has finished Classic seasons before (always as Toronto, I believe).

Hope everything is alright.

Not sure if getting stomped by some of the better players led to it,, but essentially people are just flaking out. A bit frustrating, but at least everyone has been polite enough to let me know (vs.disappearing). Unfortunately there is nothing you can really do -- I think if you quit after a few days, it's not a tech problem/motivation/vacation thing.

etownboi said he hated the gens compared to snes, we did have one game crash.

pearate, idk, he beat me in vhl games recently, so i dont think the games here shoulda had any impact.

etownboi said he hated the gens compared to snes

Who signed him up then?

pearate

Always liked him. I don't get it.

A bit frustrating, but at least everyone has been polite enough to let me know (vs.disappearing).

Understatement. And BS on being polite, I'd almost rather they just disappear.

essentially people are just flaking out. A bit frustrating, but at least everyone has been polite enough to let me know (vs.disappearing). Unfortunately there is nothing you can really do -- I think if you quit after a few days, it's not a tech problem/motivation/vacation thing.

Ya!!! and I can already tell you who will be next.

Please Prove me wrong!

You know who you are.

More than 1.

Sorry to Rage, but I am a coach and quitting really rubs me.

I know life happens but it is ridiculous around here.

Everybody wants to DRAFT and SIGN UP. The flake out!

Who signed him up then?

Always liked him. I don't get it.

Understatement. And BS on being polite, I'd almost rather they just disappear.

Ya!!! and I can already tell you who will be next.

Please Prove me wrong!

You know who you are.

More than 1.

Sorry to Rage, but I am a coach and quitting really rubs me.

I know life happens but it is ridiculous around here.

Everybody wants to DRAFT and SIGN UP. The flake out!

Yeah I agree, I knew due to life changes I wouldn't be able to finish a classic season this year so I didn't sign up (I should be back for the fall).

I have mixed feelings about this. It is irritating that people drop off, but I think we could be doing more to support them, and nurture them, and get the community to grow.

One thing that comes up now and again is newbies getting crushed by guys that are much better than them. I know in my own case - and I think many of us that stick around are like this -- I want to get crushed! To learn, and to see what is out there. But I think a good chunk of people do not want this. (And maybe I wouldn't have either, if I were younger and took this thing more seriously.) They are probably the best at this ancient game among their friends, then they join and online league, and get crushed 12-0 a couple times. It is probably hard to take.

Also, who they face can make a big difference. Let's face it, there are a few bad apples, and even more guys that while not jerks, they just aren't that friendly. If your first experience is with a jerk (especially if he runs up the score) who has an attitude in AIM, you may choose to bail as well. The first few games with someone new should be all about welcoming them, and answering questions in AIM for them, with the games themselves being secondary, IMO. This concept of being patient and saying "you have any questions?" in AIM, making them feel welcome, would really go a long way.

I have some more thoughts, but don't want to write a novel. But I feel like there should be some sort of "I am new" thread or even better a video that explains things in a friendly manner, and welcomes newbs to the community, and not just a bunch of links to other threads and using Kailera. Maybe there should be an AIM group just for newbies, with the understanding that the guys their need to be helped and hand held a lot? (I know there is the "GENS Buds", but maybe a "NEW PLAYER" group, where it is understood that the goal is helping a guy, and not letting them fall through the cracks, would help?)

Maybe there should be a sticky thread that acts as an "Online Reputation", and everyone who joins a league gets entered in the first message; just a list of players. If they drop off or act like a jackass, it is written up, for all to see, forever. And if they leave a league, there is some sort of exit interview, that explains what happened and why? (Raph mentioned guys let him know instead of just going AWOL, so I would like to hear what they say? But if they go AWOL, that would be indicated, too. The Online Reputation thread would serve two purposes: act as a record of conduct, and give us a feel for why people are bailing.)

In many and maybe even most cases, the guys that drop have shown their true colors and we are better off without them. But, I am sure not in every case. We could do more, IMO.

I have only been here since September. To the vets, does it seem like the online activity is shrinking, growing, or staying the same?

(Guess I wrote a novel after all.)

Edited by aqualizard

Aqua, I dont think that was the case in either of these instances. Pearate has been around for a while and hopefully will be back for some other leagues, hes fun to play with. etownboi, said he didnt like the gens emulator. Played DT last night for his first games, hopefully I was nice enough and answered the questions he may have had. No idea though on the shrinking/growing/staying.

None of the guys who quit were new, well maybe flatcrusher, but it's not a case of dealing with jerks or getting blown out. Pearate has been around longer than I have and BlackDevil19 is an SNES guy. I agree nurturing new folks is important, which is why I always do my best to make a new person's experience a good one. You never know who will be the next great '94 player! Seems like we have a few new guys already this season -- DT, CBK, Ba55i5t (GDL/VHL), which is always great.

I think the community ebbs and flows in size, but it stays just about the same from an activity standpoint. There's a bunch of folks who show up for Fall Classic that aren't active all year playing exis and joining other leagues, but in general there's always enough for GDL, Blitz, etc.

And nobody goes away forever -- just now we have FPB, Carse, IceGuy, Robbie, Hokkee (again), TK, etc. poking their heads around.

I think the community ebbs and flows in size, but it stays just about the same from an activity standpoint. There's a bunch of folks who show up for Fall Classic that aren't active all year playing exis and joining other leagues, but in general there's always enough for GDL, Blitz, etc.

That is good to hear. I had a feeling in my gut that more people were leaving than usual. not necessarily in Spring Classic B, but overall. Guess my spidey sense was misfiring.

Also, yes, you are an amazing ambassador, Raph. I have met many new guys that played there first games against you. (And some of them say they lost by a goal only, which is obviously a sign you are taking it easy on them.) (I know you were not fishing for a compliment, I am just keeping it real here.) Tex, you are a super solid dude, too.

Thanks, guys.

When you join a site as this one and start playin a game online like 94,you know that the guys you are going to play will be be better than you are! Especially when the last time you played this game was 20 years ago!!!

My first online game was against King and he killed me 9-2!!! But i said OK it gonna be tough against these guys but we ll see!!! And i don't think there is too many bad guys here to make new guys give up.

There is always guys who quit during a season,nothing amazing here!

Not having the numbers for a 'C' league really puts a lot of pressure on the new guys. They are more likely to start their season with a 4-game whooping from a 'B' leaguer, than to be approached by another 'C' player. A couple of embarrassing losses or series of losses will put a lot of guys off. Some continue to fight, and play out the season - others quit after the first week.

Some ideas:

'B' leagues (we've seen some)

'C' leagues (like training camps for Classic)

Handi-capping games between players of different levels (doing this fairly may be impossible)

Or.....just play your games, if you get crushed, take it like a man and learn from it. These quitters probably play the computer on rookie level. Wussies haha