NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 Slack team

halfMANhalfDONUT

I know a lot of you enjoy using AIM, but it's kind of beat and can be a pain to track people down. I created a Slack team for everyone to use. You can use the web UI to chat, or download the client on your desktop/phone and be in contact whenever.

https://nhl94slack.herokuapp.com/ Go there, enter your email, and it will send you an invite link.

I've created channels for genesis/snes/test games. If you need a custom channel, you should be able to make one (like, say, for a league) and invite whoever you want into it. Or you can privately message 1 or more people into one chat.

Or you can ignore it and not join! Whatever floats your boat.

Edited by marchawg

they won't change to a thing with constantly expiring links. they wouldn't even use the IRC room I made them. they love their America Online and will stick with it -- and get others to join it -- until somebody pulls the plug on that comatose dinosaur.

The expiring link is only for signing up, I'll keep updating it. The other option is to just allow a list of @whatever domains for signup in the room. Slack is pretty nice. Chat history, file drops, shared rooms, etc.

I understand we have some stubborn folks here, but if they want to stay on aim, that's fine.

yeah I use Slack at work and thought about introducing it to the masses here, but it'd be an exercise in futility. I was thinking of making the guys in my league join it but it's already hard enough to fill a league haha

I think Slack is about 1,000x better than AOL, which always sucks anyways. Moving would be great but people generally fear change :-)

http://tecmobowl.org/forum/topic/68312-discord-down/#comment-469913

Not that I know anything about tech, but this was all the rage a couple months ago.

And the guys at TSB had issues with it.

I'll use whatever.

I don't care.

Here is my phone.

It always works just don't text me!

post-3852-0-35544300-1461628807_thumb.jp

I thought someone was making a discord setup?

People won't change en masse unless a critical mass of people adopt a different system. So keep fighting the fight and converting people, and eventually it'll happen. Especially noobs. Get them set up when doing their test games.

You don't have to use the actual AIM software, though, btw... a number of other programs work on that network (pidgin, trillian, you can even use gmail somehow...)

Aim is ok overall. But you still have to get everyone's handle from somewhere, and someone has to maintain the list and keep it current. Slack lets people join with their handle and it's automatically listed for everyone to see. The chat history isn't dependent upon one person having aim log the conversations, it's automatically saved on the slack server for you.

Want to leave a message for someone that's never online? Just send the message and they'll get it when they pop in. Aim doesn't reliably do that. If everyone on the site were using it, I think communications would be much smoother.

oh, wow... you are getting good responses. maybe AOL is finally crappy enough. maybe you can turn the tide. good luck!

So I find 95% of the time, AIM does everything it needs to.

It notifies me through my cell if I set it up, it enables group chats, file sharing, pics etc. I can see everyone in the group & who is on/busy/off if the users actually properly change their availability in AIM.

I only have a few times where AIM doesn't save my message between myself & another user & most seem able to use it/follow along with it.

HOWEVER, there is no group mute that is any kind of effective & my AIM AP fills up with number counts in the 100's if politics or what not pop up on a group chat. ill play with one of these new apps to see if there is an upgrade.

Otherwise, it's an uphill battle that doesn't offer much upgrade at first glance.

I've added kingraph and halifax as admins, although I don't think there's really all that much to do in the slack team. I guess they can delete messages or kick people out if necessary.

So far only a few people have signed up, but I'm hoping more people test it out and we can come to a consensus on whether or not to use it. I use slack for a few different teams/games, and it's been worlds better than aim. We could have integrations in slack that ping people to remind them about game deadlines, or push notifications to dedicated league channels when games are uploaded (showing team/player/score or whatever we want to put in there). There's just a lot of stuff you can do with it.

My main push for slack vs aim is that you don't need to manage a buddy list, it's automatically managed as people join/leave the team.

We currently form a group chat for each league that enables league chatter and all that, and it makes it easy to track who is/is not in your league, so the guy who forms the league chat group did the 30 seconds of work and the rest just see who is in their group.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but to me, using AIM's group chat within each league has pretty much changed how I see AIM for a few years now.

Again, when I get time this week, next week, I'll be sure to experiment with a few of the mentioned alternatives and give my opinion back. Without GROUP chat in AIM and having me as commissioner text the other slackers, we managed to come within a few games of 100% completion in GDL XIV.

Finally! To be honest, when I used to play here and use AIM, there were... other problems I had when I used it. Mostly, it had to do with malware and other unpleasant stuff that bogged down my computer. I'm glad there is an actually good program that'll be reliable and it won't have any bugs that'll spring viruses or malware whenever I contact someone.

Count me in.

We currently form a group chat for each league that enables league chatter and all that, and it makes it easy to track who is/is not in your league, so the guy who forms the league chat group did the 30 seconds of work and the rest just see who is in their group.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but to me, using AIM's group chat within each league has pretty much changed how I see AIM for a few years now.

Again, when I get time this week, next week, I'll be sure to experiment with a few of the mentioned alternatives and give my opinion back. Without GROUP chat in AIM and having me as commissioner text the other slackers, we managed to come within a few games of 100% completion in GDL XIV.

Slack has easy to create group chats as well, I just made one for 2on2. It is much better than AIM in so many ways. I typically use aim.com and it does an OK job.

If it wasn't for the expiring link thing, slack would be perfect.

Slack has easy to create group chats as well, I just made one for 2on2. It is much better than AIM in so many ways. I typically use aim.com and it does an OK job.

If it wasn't for the expiring link thing, slack would be perfect.

machawg made a non-expiring link:

Just an FYI, I added a service that will let you join. Just enter your email address, hit join, and it will email you a link: https://nhl94slack.herokuapp.com/

This works indefinitely.

Question.. is the email I use to sign up visible or hidden? I don't want my email address to be my identifier for other people. That would be a bit of a deal-breaker, actually.

Hrrrrmm, that's ... inconvenient.

There's really no "show/hide email address" option?

Edit: there's no such option.. people have asked for it on twitter a year ago and they say they'll consider it :P

they should reconsider it. if you still have that twit exchange open or accessible, please hit them with a followup.

---

PLEASE allow hiding email addresses

Support Request #997270

that guy 2 hr ago

that's all.

Dan 25 min ago

Hey there,

Thanks for getting in touch! You're not alone with this request. Though Slack was originally created with business type teams in mind, many communities now use Slack & I can fully appreciate that not everyone wishes to share their email address in all circumstances. I'll be sure to add your vote to the others asking for this feature for consideration in future updates!

Thanks, Dan

---

you may wish to change the thread title here, as this doesn't really clue people in to the goal of replacing the AOL software.

Edited by tru