NHL'94 Forums

NHL16 Playoff ROM

skip

Hey guys, here is the playoff update for the 2016 ROM. I hope you all enjoy the real playoffs, and hope you've have had a great season of 2016 ROMing :-) I've continued to make some updates to ratings with the goal of making 4's great again...I hope you dig it!

Next update: September for NHL17!

-Skip

P.S. - as always, if you see an error, please let me know. I found a solid player who had the wrong handedness this time around, so any and all help is always appreciated!

P.P.S. - If you like this ROM, ask me about VHL.

NHL16playoffs.bin

NHL16playoffsSkip.zip

Edited by skip

damn. there are really that many players "in the game," huh? no wonder it's such a task giving everybody a full set of ratings....pass bias, shot power, shot accuracy, reputation, speed....

The rom looks great, Skip.

I can give you some tips with player cards, if you're interested. Used to do 1,560 player cards a year for pixelpuck, and have it down to a science.

Awesome thanks dude! Coach Mac sent me some pointers but it still seems daunting to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! I'd love to see your ratings in Excel or on paper if you have them that way.

No prob dude - just added it to the original post (excel file) - enjoy!

Edited by skip

I've already made a lot of changes to the 2017 ROM, and added Matthews to TOR and Laine to WPG since that is how it should go. Cannot wait to work on that when I have time this summer/early fall

I love that you are so passionate about keeping up with the project that you have already added players to the teams they are LIKELY to go to! good luck with the player cards; that's quite a process, even if you manage to automate a significant portion of it.

I would like to request a Playoffs update....

....I added one....

....thank you for your seemingly endless dedication!...

right?! the dude is on it like a bonnet AND he does a killer job. (I'm responding here to push the current ROM thread to the top, so folks don't go with the outdated one by accident.)

oh, hey... what's with dudes from/in Massachusetts being the ones so passionately dedicated to ROMs and roster updates? is it just a coincidence?

Edited by tru

I love that you are so passionate about keeping up with the project that you have already added players to the teams they are LIKELY to go to! good luck with the player cards; that's quite a process, even if you manage to automate a significant portion of it.

right?! the dude is on it like a bonnet AND he does a killer job. (I'm responding here to push the current ROM thread to the top, so folks don't go with the outdated one by accident.)

oh, hey... what's with dudes from/in Massachusetts being the ones so passionately dedicated to ROMs and roster updates? is it just a coincidence?

Thanks bud! One of my friends told me once me (when he came over while I was editing the newer games for accuracy) "You're sick, there is something wrong with you. You edit more than you play." Yes, it may be a sickness, but one I am not trying to shake! My goal is to keep making the game better. I remember how great I thought my 2014 ROM was, and now I'd probably think it is s**t.

But yeah, those player cards...gonna be a learning experience.

....My goal is to keep making the game better....

exactly. please know that it is appreciated and that some of us share your goals.

I'm assuming some of his hacks have broken the editor compatibility.

to clarify, are you trying to make the brackets line up for the later rounds? I'll be checking mine for that compatibility tomorrow night. skip, will you be doing the same?

or are you trying to do roster/lines changes?

Edited by tru

I tried posting yesterday about how I'd like to make some edits as well, mostly to ratings. The brackets seem to be fine, at least when I play as Pittsburgh. The bracket lining up later on is completely up to the AI.

well, the Genesis hacking section can help you to understand how to make those adjustments without the editor. it's certainly not super simple, but I don't think the Genesis editor is all that easy, either, and doing it directly in the hex data isn't too hard. if you are only trying to make a few adjustments to make it more enjoyable for you, editing the hex values directly may be the way to go.

The rom looks great, Skip.

I can give you some tips with player cards, if you're interested. Used to do 1,560 player cards a year for pixelpuck, and have it down to a science.

If you could add any tips to the original player cards tutorial thread, that would be amazing.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/216-how-to-player-card-tutorial-nhl94-nhl95/

Awesome thanks dude! Coach Mac sent me some pointers but it still seems daunting to me.

Coach Mac, too! Or skip please copy/pasta :)

All the credit for this post goes to Raph and Smoz.

This is an incredible tutorial Raph sent me in PM when I was doing the photos for my Original 6 and Historic roms.

It is simple and worked perfectly for me and remember I'm a guy who does not have nor knows how to operate a cell phone.

So all you Captain Kirk's out there should be able to figure it out.

Just also want to give a shout out to Smoz for NOSE, EARE, SmozROm, the ditherer thing.

RAPH and Smoz = AWESOME!

Part 1 - Player Photos

For the more recent players, this method works for me....might be harder to find the older player photos.(Note it was actually easier as they were already BW) Step 1, I would usually google the player name and search images for a good headshot. Putting "card" also helped in case the first search didn't bring anything up, at least you can find a card image...more useful for the obscure players. In a real pinch (no good photos, rare), I'd search on eBay for someone selling a player card that might have a good scan.

Step 2 - I take the photo and use Picasa (Google Photo Software, free) to edit. First, change to Black/White using a preset filter. So one click. Picasa also has the ability to lighten/darken, but 95% of the time I just left it as is. The key was to get as big of a picture of the face.

Step 3 - I would use MS Paint (the free paint program on Windows) to open the B/W photo. Select a square that included as much of the face as possible. Maybe a bit of the helmet, etc, but don't try to get the entire head or body or anything...works best when you zoom in on the face. Cut off the chin, forehead, the photos comes out better, imo. Once you select a square (you can use the px counter on the bottom of application to guide you), cut it out. Open a new Paint file and paste the square. Then resize the square (to pixels) so it's 48x48 px.

Step 4 - Save the file as .png and start a naming convention of first_last.png or something easy to find. Especially if you have a lot!

Ok, now that is the end of Part 1 -- I hope that makes sense. If you find a good google image on the first shot, these steps shouldn't take more than 5 minutes

Offcial STEP 2:

Once you have the player photos in a 48x48 png format, you have to get them into the ROM.

The first offset is 00120294. Per the tutorial, if you set the codec to 3bpp linear and the canvas size to 6x6 (48x48px as each tile is 8x8 pixels). Palette offset is 812940, size 8. You should see some generic player photo there. In my GDL ROM, it'll be Adam Burt.

The next player card photo is 874 (36A) bytes away. So if you press CTRL+G (Goto Offset), change to relative and put 36A. Now you are at the next player card photo in offset 001205FE. So each 36A skip will be the next player card offset.

00120294 001205FE 00120968 00120CD2 0012103C

001213A6

etc

etc

Paste the player card photos in each of those offsets and start a player card table in google docs or any spreadsheet with three columns:

Player -- Offset - TM Offset

The player will be the first last name of the player, the TM Offset will be the Tile Molestor offsets I just mentioned above. The column I call "offset" will be the TM offset minus 10 bytes. The first few will be:

0012028A 001205F4 0012095E 00120CC8 00121032 0012139C

Also, you can use any of the TM offsets to find my player photo and save it for your ROM.

So after this step, you should have your player photos updated in your ROM and a master table that we will use later to map the players with their photos. I'll explain in my next step....let me know if you have any questions with this.

At this point I went out on my own and just used EARE. (Raph has different method he uses to get the photos in the rom.)

EARE worked perfectly for me, except that it seems to only do the pictures for the starters.

I can't get all the player pics in, but I am OK with that and it saves me tons of work.

Edited by CoachMac

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

NHL17 ROM coming along nicely, added rookies and already d'loaded all the player cards I plan to add! I will work with Slapshot67 on the other graphic updates, mostly for Toronto, Florida, and Pittsburgh logos. Looking to release the ROM a few days before the season opener!

• 2 weeks later...

NHL17 ROM coming along nicely, added rookies and already d'loaded all the player cards I plan to add! I will work with Slapshot67 on the other graphic updates, mostly for Toronto, Florida, and Pittsburgh logos. Looking to release the ROM a few days before the season opener!

Cool. Just wanted to mention if you didn't hear already, that the Pens are going back to their 1980s/early 90s uniforms. They are making the black/yellow ones permanent home jerseys (only used for a dozen regular season games and playoffs this past season), and was announced just a couple weeks ago that they are going back to their white/yellow road jerseys of old (substituting the yellow for the cream color they used the past decade). Just wanted to throw that out there :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brad, thanks! I've worked with slapshot67 for most of the graphics updates, so I'll ask him to update things like the new Panthers logo, etc. But the Pens uniforms is one of the things I've updated already since it didn't mess with the logo at all

btw I love that they are going back to the true colors

Awesome job on rom skip. I am assuming the playoff rom is the latest one? I did notice one bug and not sure if its easy to fix. On the main screen when you select winnipeg jets and it begins to load the top players from both teams in cycle...the game freezes. Possibly cant load the goals stat for winnipeg's player. Shows up as triple slash and then a number with a bunch of 3s.

in Genesis ROMs, that is often caused by incorrect player-card image pointer action. (in SNES, I'd assume there is punctuation in a starter's name.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...