NHL'94 Forums

NOSE 1.0b released!

wboy

Peoples,

While admittedly a little later than first promised :huh:, I am happy to bring you the news that NOSE has finally been publicly released!

NOSE, the NHL Old Skool Editor can be downloaded from:

http://www.hexaddicts.com/nose

Please read the documenation contained within the distribution for more detailed information about installing and using NOSE.

Please post any questions, feedback, suggestions or bugs within this forum group.

Enjoy! :D

very nice man thanks!

i got lots of work done!!!

how about a visual clipboard, so you can drag players onto from the different games... and have it show what rom they came from...

now, you make a program so i can edit the banners in 93 and ill give you a handjob

just kidding... btw

well thanks for the feedback.

I've taken a small break from working on NOSE at the moment. I still dabble in it when I get a chance. I have already greatly optimised the load times of the player/goalie edit screens, and am also adding a few extra features that should make roster updating a little easier and faster again.

no timelines yet, but it shouldn't be too far away.

s77, as for the visual clipboard. I actually thought I doing something similar early in development, but then changed my mind and decided the clipboard would work like every other app does. If you need storage for players, just use a another rom to store them in can copy out when needed. I know it doesn't show the source year for the player, but I don't think thats important enough to enhance the feature as you have requested. I think the feature already does more than enough with its ability to of translate attributes between years. :)

Wboy, the program is amazing. No words of thanks could sum up how much your editor is appreciated. I can't wait to be able to use it even more but my full time firefighting test is a week tomorrow so I have lots of studying to do. Until then, thanks again and watch for the return of macks hacks sooner than you think.

Ever considered making one of these programs for the Madden Series or NBA Live Series? Thanks a lot for this amazing NHL editor - I have been looking for something like this for a long time!

Wboy, NOSE is amazing!!. It makes editing so much easier.

I was wondering if you could add home/away adv/disadv and pp/pk adv/dis to the teams section. I know that in the game certain teams are better at home and on the road due to an adv or dis in the roster section. you can have 100%avd 50% adv or 0% adv at home and on the pp. Same goes for away and pk. I think that 0=0% 1=50% and2=100% adv or dis. If you could add that to the teams menu, that would completely change the way the teams play. Thank you for NOSE, greatly appreciated.

Soccer1

Ever considered making one of these programs for the Madden Series or NBA Live Series? Thanks a lot for this amazing NHL editor - I have been looking for something like this for a long time!

Madden is a possibility as the data structure appears very similar. NBA may too be the same but I haven't checked. Whatever the case, its not until I complete everything I want/can do in NOSE before I'd consider dabbling with other games.

Soccer1, I know of some "unidentified bytes" in the team'ss header data (slightly before the goalie bytes) that may alter the elements of the game you mention, but I haven't tested with it enough to accurately reflect editing these properties in NOSE.

• 3 weeks later...

hey wboy,

I've got a feature request for you. I've been editing some player attributes, and it would be really helpful if you could make a display to show what that player's overall rating is on the same screen. Or is it there and I am missing it?

I've discussed that with him and I don't think it's possible.

I have a few requests. To be able to take every guy on a team together and change an attribute up or down ant the same time. Even the whole league at one time (line nhl info) or grab every guy together and make that attribute the same. Like a right click instead of opening every guy in their own box. Maybe this is already possible and I missed that too. Would be real good for rosters between years.

Great editor regardless. Managed to get through Calgary - Florida 100% yesterday and today. :)

I've discussed that with him and I don't think it's possible.

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. I mean I know the ratings fluctuate every game, but there's gotta be some underlying formula there for the game to get the overall rating range from the individual categories.

EDIT-----

Okay, so I took a few minutes to do some testing, and I think I identified the formula for overall ratings. It does not appear that weight, H/F, endurance, agression, or roughness affect overall ratings. However, if you just add up the remaining categories, it seems you get the average range. Check out these numbers.

(Name - Overall Rating in game - Aggregate score of remaining ratings less categories above)

Muller - 79 - 36

Lebeau - 74 - 32

Savard - 75 - 33

Carbonneau - 61 - 27

Dionne - 61 - 27

LeClair - 61 - 27

Brunet - 47 - 20

Roberge - 38 - 14

Bellows - 74 - 33

Keane - 62 - 27

Leeman - 60 - 27

If that's not the exact formula the game is using to derive ratings with random fluctuation, it's pretty damn close. If wboy could just insert that computation into the player rating table for quick reference I know I'd refer to it when revising ratings.

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. I mean I know the ratings fluctuate every game, but there's gotta be some underlying formula there for the game to get the overall rating range from the individual categories.

"Not possible" in the sense that the game does not give a constant rating as you've touched on...

A rating column using some custom formula e.g. basic mathematical percentage, is already planned for the next release. There is nothing too difficult about implementing it, I just didn't get around to it trying to meet the Oct 5 launch. :)

I have a few requests. To be able to take every guy on a team together and change an attribute up or down ant the same time. Even the whole league at one time (line nhl info) or grab every guy together and make that attribute the same. Like a right click instead of opening every guy in their own box. Maybe this is already possible and I missed that too. Would be real good for rosters between years.

Yeah bud, this has even been possible since some of your private beta testing days! :)

Its not possible at league level, but is possible by team.

Like the copy and paste feature, the quick edit keys are multi select supported.

The goalie/player lists supports the same multiselect keys & mouse click combinations like windows explorer etc.

When you cycle through teams... the current multi selections are kept allowing you to make similar quick changes to the entire rom.

Read the notes.txt included in the distribution for more info. While it is not detailed manual, I think it touches on it enough to teach you how to make the most of such features.

A rating column using some custom formula e.g. basic mathematical percentage, is already planned for the next release. There is nothing too difficult about implementing it, I just didn't get around to it trying to meet the Oct 5 launch. :)

Excellent. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
hey wboy, any news or updates with NOSE for the snes version of 94?? :rolleyes:

I may be forced to make a code structure change to NOSE (for other reasons) which may allow me to add SNES support with relative ease. The data structure is not exactly like the SEGA versions unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
I may be forced to make a code structure change to NOSE (for other reasons) which may allow me to add SNES support with relative ease. The data structure is not exactly like the SEGA versions unfortunately.

Oh my god!! Prepare your self for an interactive hug! Ehm.. No seriously, that would be totally pwnage (ehm..) :unsure:

:)

I haven't tried it for Genesis, but from the screenshot I saw on your site it looked VERY useful!

• 3 years later...
For NOSE, could you add a feature to edit what order the teams come in? I need to do this so I can fix a glitch in clockwise's NHL 91.

I was thinking you could in theory re do all the banners and logos for every team so it could technically be in any order you want.

• 2 months later...
Anybody have any trouble extracting? Everytime I try downloading 1.2b it says there is no files or its corrupted. Any insight? Thanks

I just tried it, and it worked fine for me.

I used 7zip (as opposed to the windows XP built-in zip, which i've disabled on my computer)

Edited by smozoma