NHL'94 Forums

[Sept 24 2016 - Green Bay, WI] Official signup and rules thread for Blades of 94

Green Bay is hardly nowhere my friend. Lambeau Field alone is worth the trip here, and they do tours every day of the year.

Yeah, man. If flights weren't so expensive I planned on:

1. Attending tourney Sat

2. Going to Packers' game that Sunday

The Packers are playing at home, and I cannot think of a home game anywhere I would rather attend than the Greenbay Packers at Lambeau field.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As we are under two months away, I'd encourage you to get your lodging/traveling situated ASAP. Also,I need more official RSVP's/prepays from the traveling folks. Prepay via Paypal to trojan1979@gmail.com.

Make sure to take care of all these things so no one is tripped up last minute by travel woes.

• 2 weeks later...

We just secured local advertising thanks to a retro game store in our area. We are also in a dialogue with a local news station to hopefully get some footage to help hype future events. We are also reaching out to the local semi pro hockey franchise and sports talk radio to get some more exposure. Please make whatever efforts you can, get some bros and make this trip. We put on great events. I wanted to link this YouTube video to show the hype that can come out of these events we've helped to run. While this was a Tecmo Super Bowl event, the retro hype is real.

Edited by King of 94' WI

We just had our meeting for the latest Tecmo Bowl vs RBI Baseball podcast, which will feature and spread the word of our tournament to over a thousand fans of Tecmo Bowl/RBI Baseball, as well as other retro sports gaming fans. We will share the link once it's posted!

We were featured on the Tecmo Bowl vs RBI Baseball podcast today! If you have issues near the 26:11 minute mark, just refresh and skip a few seconds ahead. https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-veg7s-6211ab#.V73MdRCslZg.facebook

Nice, good listen

(a few little corrections: the Toronto tourney had about 120 players - two brackets of 64 but with a number of no-shows. The goal after the whistle happens when a penalty shot is called and you get the puck back and shoot it, it can go in.)

We were featured on the Tecmo Bowl vs RBI Baseball podcast today! If you have issues near the 26:11 minute mark, just refresh and skip a few seconds ahead. https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-veg7s-6211ab#.V73MdRCslZg.facebook

Thanks for posting bud. It was a good listen. And don't listen to Smoz, we actually had 380 people in Toronto.

Also, you should consider offering up a couple free beers to anyone who can beat angryjay.....

actually....

let's say...anyone one who can keep the game within a two goal spread.

Also, you should consider offering up a couple free beers to anyone who can beat angryjay.....

actually....

Woah, easy there bud.

I'm from California, I got no chance in an ice hockey tournament.

Thanks for posting bud. It was a good listen. And don't listen to Smoz, we actually had 380 people in Toronto.

:D come to think of it, wasn't it 830?

actually....

Yeah, I agree. Otherwise.. I think it's a bit demoralizing (like the World Series defending champ who got rolled and quit). Could give a little prize if you can tie or win any period maybe (for example, even if you're down 5-0 after 2 periods, if you can keep it 5-0 or 6-1, etc. in the 3rd, you get a prize). Although on the other hand people might get upset at AJ if he scores in the last few seconds or something to rob them of the prize.

Woah, easy there bud.

I'm from California, I got no chance in an ice hockey tournament.

That's right! I forgot. You have no chance!

Thanks for the love and social media shares everyone. Some genuine traffic and interest has made its way to our FB page and this forum thread. Keep retweeting @trojanvoice and #nhl94 posts, and if you are on FB, any direct shares of the event help tremendously.

A fun update: I am in discussion with a great friend and metal fabricator regarding our first Lord Manly's Cup. We'd really like to avoid the typical trophy store giveaway if it can be helped. I have no idea how AngryJay is going to get this beast on the plane. Might have to make a miniature version for traveling.

Just a heads up the $5 discount for prepay ends Sept 1st, less than a week away. You can still prepay afterwards, and receive a $5 discount for bringing a system along if noted while prepaying. Again, we have all the TV's we will need, although feel free to bring one for your Hotel room.

I busted out our stream setup sans sponsor frames this week and played a few warm up games with participant Levi Lacrosse. Feel free to make fun of our failure. Seriously, someone come take our money Sept 24th!

On tracking traffic to the FB event page, we've noticed we don't have many actual "likes" on the organization page. If you wouldn't mind helping us there by liking us, the King of '94-WI page is here. https://www.facebook.com/gbnhl94/

Maybe some kind of trivia scavenger hunt game to get a ticket in a draw (who's the 3rd line LW for the penguins, who got special thanks in the opening credits, what's the team rating for the Blues, etc etc.. stuff people could find in a few minutes with the game). MIght be disruptive though...

In addition to the cash prizes awarded, we are offering a $5 bounty to anyone who can beat powerhouse player AngryJay in group play, and $10 to anyone who knocks him out of the tournament. #bounty #nhl94

cash_money.jpg

Edited by King of 94' WI

In addition to the cash prizes awarded, we are offering a $5 bounty to anyone who can beat powerhouse player AngryJay in group play, and $10 to anyone who knocks him out of the tournament. #bounty #nhl94

cash_money.jpg

I'll chip in and double those amounts to $10 & $20 respectively.

I will be interviewed tonight on the Retro Reload podcast at 10:30 CST TONIGHT to discuss NHL 94 and our upcoming tournament Sept 24th.. Follow their Youtube Channel and FB page for links to the actual podcast. If you can't make it tonight and participate live, it will be archived for a later viewing. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

You can interact directly with us by using the #rrpftw in your tweets.

Good interview, gave the whole thing a listen (well, I skipped the first few minutes I think).

Being guaranteed 8 games is fantastic.

Extra info / corrections!

- Mark Lesser programmed Genesis's NHL '94, but he was working from Genesis's NHLPA '93 code, which, going back to "NHL Hockey" (aka NHL '92) was made by Jim Simmons. The game was based a bit on the Madden engine I think (you mentioned FIFA). Lesser had never seen a hockey game and had no clue about the rules, which is a great story you guys covered. Lesser's claim to fame is that he made Mattel Auto Race, thought to be the first hand-held video game, plus a few similar follow-ups ("Mattel Football"), as well as Frogger II on the Atari 2600, and Madden '93.

- The checking bug: You mentioned things like speed and checking, but actually the success of checks in the game is based pretty much entirely on the weights of the players, so the bug was that the weights we being compared the wrong way so the lighter guy could check.

- B check: the B check is actually just tripping guys. You were thinking of the C-B check, which is how you invert the checking bug. The combination of the weight bug and the C-B bug makes it confusing to explain the whole checking bug issue (I tried in my interview with Mikey and failed badly I think).

- The goalie doesn't get frozen on a penalty shot, it's just that you can shoot again if the goalie poke-checks the puck away from the shooter (he can go and pick the puck up again and try to score again).

- You can get stuck as the goalie during regular play (happens if you have the puck, skate out past the faceoff circles, then pass it..)

- The pass shot: the goalies do react to the pass shot, the reason it can go in is just that it's really fast (both in speed of shot and in that there is no slap shot animation) and you can aim it really well to put it just inside the post (or through the five-hole).

- One-timer: just misspoke, but of course you have to hit C before the pass gets to the guy to do a one-timer

Thanks again for your continued help in clarifying these things. I can't wait to see them on display from some top guys.

Good interview, gave the whole thing a listen (well, I skipped the first few minutes I think).

Being guaranteed 8 games is fantastic.

Extra info / corrections!

- Mark Lesser programmed Genesis's NHL '94, but he was working from Genesis's NHLPA '93 code, which, going back to "NHL Hockey" (aka NHL '92) was made by Jim Simmons. The game was based a bit on the Madden engine I think (you mentioned FIFA). Lesser had never seen a hockey game and had no clue about the rules, which is a great story you guys covered. Lesser's claim to fame is that he made Mattel Auto Race, thought to be the first hand-held video game, plus a few similar follow-ups ("Mattel Football"), as well as Frogger II on the Atari 2600, and Madden '93.

- The checking bug: You mentioned things like speed and checking, but actually the success of checks in the game is based pretty much entirely on the weights of the players, so the bug was that the weights we being compared the wrong way so the lighter guy could check.

- B check: the B check is actually just tripping guys. You were thinking of the C-B check, which is how you invert the checking bug. The combination of the weight bug and the C-B bug makes it confusing to explain the whole checking bug issue (I tried in my interview with Mikey and failed badly I think).

- The goalie doesn't get frozen on a penalty shot, it's just that you can shoot again if the goalie poke-checks the puck away from the shooter (he can go and pick the puck up again and try to score again).

- You can get stuck as the goalie during regular play (happens if you have the puck, skate out past the faceoff circles, then pass it..)

- The pass shot: the goalies do react to the pass shot, the reason it can go in is just that it's really fast (both in speed of shot and in that there is no slap shot animation) and you can aim it really well to put it just inside the post (or through the five-hole).

- One-timer: just misspoke, but of course you have to hit C before the pass gets to the guy to do a one-timer

Nice interview bud. love the podcasts.

Thanks Halifax. We have two more lined up in the near future. It would be extremely helpful if folks from these boards could comment and show support during said podcasts, and afterward by commenting and drawing attention to it. Also, any shares on social media like facebook to this thread would be appreciated. We do plan on making this an annual event.

Update on Lord Manly's Cup....

The initial design work was completed today and we are hoping to have picture updates with its construction. While it is inspired by Lord Stanley's Cup, it will be its own look.

Initial mental thoughts for you include a metal mixing bowl, and folded metal made from used beer cans.(we are hoping Hamms or Lablatt Blue somewhere in there)

bg-img1.jpg