NHL'94 Forums

GDL XVI & XVII Setup ****PLEASE VOTE****

Brutus

GDL XVI Options  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which format do you want for the next 2 seasons?

• Leave it just as it has always been. Tradition counts. No A, No B, just one big GDL.
    • Use the A conference & the B conference. Top 8 coaches make the playoffs in A. Top 8 coaches make the playoffs in B. 3 Rounds in each conference. No finals of A vs B. Just Gdl A Champ & GDL B Champ.
    • Plabax idea. Even schedules. Create a winner's & loser's bracket with A & B separating. I'll expand below. Limited space in Poll question

Ok. First off, I'd planned on putting this to a vote if enough guys asked me to. Kind of tossed it together half in the bag based on thoughts I'd had before. Second, didn't expect an actual debate so heated, but I always forget how things "are".

Last, I was half messing around w/ feigned sincerity about being butt hurt, but we all know, even if you act upset long enough, you find yourself upset! Gave myself a laugh when I woke up. Hopefully, we all entertained ourselves and those around us for a Saturday night.

Option #1 of leaving it is the easiest route. It's tradition and how things have been. I get that. I also get the "Best of the Best". I'd like to point out that Classic A seems to have some of the worst time getting the "Best of the Best" to play their games for long stretches, and the playoff series seem to run on. The "meat" of this league to me is guys 8-24, who log tons of games, get their drafts in, trade, banter & get destroyed in the playoffs every season. So, it was the reason to have an A & B playoffs.
BUT I GET leaving it AS-IS.

Option #2 would be A conference with 8 of 12 coaches making the playoffs. B conference with 8 of 12 coaches making the playoffs. You would play 2 games vs A or B teams just like in the previous schedule. A league would have much more competition for 8 playoff spots. The bottom 4 coaches in A would miss the playoffs, even though technically, 8 coaches in B, who are probably similar or worse than them would be in the B Playoffs. There would be an A Playoff of 3 rounds, and a B Playoff of 3 Rounds. NO A vs B as previously proposed. 4 bottom A coaches goto B. Top 4 B coaches goto A. This could also be adjusted to Top2/Bottom2 if we go with this option.

Option #3 as suggested by Plabax would be a Playoff setup with the middle teams playing first, and losers drop into the B playoff and winners go up into the A playoffs. This creates at LEAST one playoff series per playoff coach that is NOT lopsided. This creates the Round 1 BYE for top 4 A teams. IF WE GO WITH THIS option, I think we still would need to hash out the details.

For example, do we go with EVEN schedules or stick with 4 vs your division? Do we have bottom 8 play Rd 1, with winners advancing, and losers going into B to prevent the "Bye" for the bottom 4 coaches in B, which seems odd.

Anyhow, ADJUSTING just the playoff format WITHOUT changing the league makeup (no A or no B) is OPTION 3.

I think Option 3 is the "compromise" and that's getting my vote, even though OPTION 2 was my idea.

Also, non-league members can vote since it's "public" and we will know who voted, and outside opinion is relevant.

Just because option 3 words like it is complicated, it in principle would be rather simple, so don't NOT vote for it cause you don't quite understand it. If enough guys are interested in Plabax's form of a compromise, it would be easy to work it out in a way most of us can agree upon.

Feel free to comment before or after voting. We've got time on our side here.

I think the plabax idea is interesting its just the playoffs that seem cumbersome.

I like quick and easy playoffs. Once you start throwing in byes... Or two round byes for the top 4 if you really want to do it right...

8-16 play. Losers are eliminated and the 4 winners move on to play 4-8. Winners in that round play 1-4 and the 4 losers continue to b playoff. This way you get the b playoff and the 13-16 don't receive byes. I just think it's terrible the top 4 have to sit around for damn near a month to wait for all this. The flow of the season would be lost for them.

The current system isn't perfect but it works. B guys sign up knowing they will face the a guys. This is no secret. If a b guy doesn't want to get bodied they don't have to sign up, simple as that. I play the same 8-10 guys enough as it is, a little League desegregation helps change things up a bit. If a b guy wants to pick my brain after our games I'm always happy to talk shop.

I think Brutus had us Bs in mind when he proposed his initial system. He is a great commish, and I appreciate his innovative ideas.

That aside, I want to play as many As as possible. And get my ass kicked.

I liked it the way it was, me playing lots of As, me getting lots of beat downs. (I did manage to crawl from 4 wins to 11 wins, so I am slowly improving my short GDL record. Can't help but think this is partially due to playing guys much better than me.) And AJ, I will take you up on talking shop after you kick my ass. Guess I am a masochist but I am looking forward to it.

I like it the way it is.