NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 Haters

If you like fighting, then sure '92 and '93 is the better option. Have fun punching the computer with Stu Grimson. Blades of Steel and Mario Lemiuex Hockey also have fighting. Fun stuff.

However, if you like competitive gameplay, scoring variations, complete player names and NHL teams, shootouts, manual goalie, etc. then '94 is clearly superior. There's just no argument here.

No one loved 93 more than I.

I never even bought or played 94 until a few years ago, because of this site.

What a waste.

92 > 93

So I missed that as well.

But they are the 3 of the 7 greatest video games ever made, so you got that going for you. (TB, TSB, RBI, Jams)

Get over the fighting :grimace:

That is what hung me up for so long.

94 is clearly, deeper and better.

Even against the CPU.

document that s**t!

There is more people that have set foot on the moon then know the true reason there is no fighting in NHL '94, even Lesser didn't know.

The doc will even shed light on which key people like/didn't like the fighting and will shed light on the whole history of the... "game".

I don't want to give any spoilers away but over half the people I interviewed/talked too, think there is fighting in NHL '94... and there is a reason for that.

(93X94)/95=92

To be honest after all this "document s**t" I have been doing, the question... "which game is the best on what system?" means less and less to the real reason why we are all writing on internet blogs about this subject.

• Sad 1

There is more people that have set foot on the moon then know the true reason there is no fighting in NHL '94, even Lesser didn't know.

The doc will even shed light on which key people like/didn't like the fighting and will shed light on the whole history of the... "game".

I don't want to give any spoilers away but over half the people I interviewed/talked too, think there is fighting in NHL '94... and there is a reason for that.

(93X94)/95=92

To be honest after all this "document s**t" I have been doing, the question... "which game is the best on what system?" means less and less to the real reason why we are all writing on internet blogs about this subject.

cYanmPn.gif

It's not a secret why it was removed lol. It was pressure from the NHL and the change in commissioner was done like 9 months prior to release, not hard to figure 1+1 = 2

Thats what I believed as the whole story when I started, It is a fact but only the smoking gun. Not the reason. I can't explain more with out spoilers.

"It's not a secret why it was removed lol. It was pressure from the NHL" = "It's not a secret what killed JFK, he was shot with a gun"

Edited by McMikey

Interesting. But, my guess is, that is the difference between a casual fan who might be somewhat familiar with the games, and a serious fan. Anyone on this site obviously is well aware that fighting isn't in '94. I am sure to JR, FLeury and the like NHL 92-95 and possibly more are all a blur.

But what I hope you mean -- though I am sure you don't -- is Jim Simmons and Mark Lesser thought fighting was still in. And it IS in, code-wise. But because of pressure from above, some low level code jockey was asked to flip a flag in the code to "fightng=false" and it is just one simple edit from restoring '94 to it;s full glory! (I know that is a dream, but hey, why not?)

Interesting. But, my guess is, that is the difference between a casual fan who might be somewhat familiar with the games, and a serious fan. Anyone on this site obviously is well aware that fighting isn't in '94. I am sure to JR, FLeury and the like NHL 92-95 and possibly more are all a blur.

But what I hope you mean -- though I am sure you don't -- is Jim Simmons and Mark Lesser thought fighting was still in. And it IS in, code-wise. But because of pressure from above, some low level code jockey was asked to flip a flag in the code to "fightng=false" and it is just one simple edit from restoring '94 to it;s full glory! (I know that is a dream, but hey, why not?)

The fighting graphics aren't there, so the code for fighting is probably gone, too. They filled pretty much the whole ROM with code and data, so maybe there just wasn't enough room for fighting after they put in the player portraits? Going with a 1MB ROM saves costs.

But it sounds like there may be some deeper darker secret about fighting...

How do I upvote to Smoz and Mikey on this forum?

tXx7N25.gif

Bittersweet but I think Mikey's doc is going to snuff out all other NHL 16 bit iterations with this movie making 95 a footnote. Going to have to start playing 94. Who's going to be my jedi master to train me in the 94 darkside.....Yes 94's the darkside :)

anakin-two.jpg

"Bittersweet but I think Mikey's doc is going to snuff out all other NHL 16 bit iterations with this movie making 95 a footnote"

NHL '95 has its place in the movie just like '92 &'93.

It's '96 that gets the footnote lol

Do you have any footage of you guys playing '95 and loving it? I could possibly use it to give '95 some depth.

sorry to break it to you, but hockey has had fighting since the beginning of time...

(well until bettman ruined hockey anyway)

94 WITH fighting would have been the perfect video game...

Edited by 77

and ive said it 1000 times...

the fighting code is still there, its disabled

and the fighting animations spaces were used for the new checking animations

Edited by 77

soo.... mr. documentary should be asking the programmers not how cool the game is, but how we can re-enable fighting, and then we just borrow the animations from 93... and put them somewhere else

actually fu ck that, 95 for PC is a way better platform to create the ultimate hockey game...

anything for computer can be reverse enginered =P

Edited by 77

and ive said it 1000 times...

the fighting code is still there, its disabled

and the fighting animations spaces were used for the new checking animations

100% speculative, just by comparing the hexcode of all 3 (92, 93, 94)

Interesting, good tip, sometime I'll have to do a code trace of a fight in 93 and look for the same code in 94

I always wondered if this was a possibility, though I don't know how it would be possible for the PC given how the first EA NHL game for the PC already had fighting removed and I have no clue if there is any code for fighting in it too (and the same applies with NHL '95 on PC).

Anyone have the contact info of Mark Lesser? ;)

Edited by Ziggy Stardust

its not in the PC versions

(just by looking at the exe with a hex editor)

the 2 PC versions are useless

the only thing worth finding is the sprites

Edited by 77