NHL'94 Forums

[Nov.12, 2016, Saskatoon, Sask.] King of '94 WEST III

halifax

Ola buds,

I know normally I hold this in January but I wanted to giver a bit earlier now that Toronto isn't happening until next year.

It'll take place Saturday, November 12. Starts at 11am and runs until about 9pmish. Friday, November 11th is a holiday in most provinces(and states?) so it'll be a long weekend. Plus it'll be soon after the U.S. presidential election, so if you don't like who is president, then come to Saskatoon, play video games and drink your sorrows away.

SEGA and SNES brackets with prize money and trophies (like last year).

Venue is at Bartari, which is a video game bar in downtown Saskatoon.

There will also be other tournaments going on throughout the day. Each will have trophies and prize money. There will about 16 set ups total (about ten of those will be played on CRT).

Planned tournaments for the following:

King of TSB (Tecmo Super Bowl - NES)

King of RBI (RBI Baseball - NES)

King of Jam (NBA Jam Tournament Edition Sega/SNES)

Players that compete in multiple tournaments are eligible to be the Retrothon Champion. Special thanks to my bud Coachmac for using the name.

It's a ways away but I wanted to give some head's up now for those that may want to travel.

Aj and Annatar have already expressed interest in attending. As usual, I anticipate the Saskatoon buds to be there.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Butterfly's,

I think it's generally a good idea to assume people aren't stupid. If you look, you can of course find many instances of Americans being dumb, but if you look more closely you'll find that there are many perfectly intelligent Americans. We call our game football because it evolved from Rugby football. The rest of the world dropped the football and we dropped the Rugby.

A funny thing about language is that compound words can lose their original compound meanings and still function as perfectly good words. An American doesn't think of the word as foot + ball but rather as a single concept of football. This seems to be a difficult concept for some non-Americans and particularly non-native English speakers to grasp, but we do not always care or even think about the components of many words. Another example of this is the butterfly, which has absolutely nothing to do with butter. A new English speaker might get confused (although they rarely get as angry as they are about football), but a native or experienced English speaker knows not to break down the word into butter + fly to extract meaning.

Various games where the ball were kicked were popular at various British public schools in the 19th century, but the rules at each school were different - the number of players on a side, whether you could use your hands, and how you could get possession of the ball, for example.

In 1863, the schools met to try to hammer out a consistent set of rules. They were partly successful. The majority of the schools established the rules of "Association Football". However, the minority group insisted on rules that allowed rough tackling. They came up with another set of rules for what came to be known by the lead school of the group "Rugby". "Soccer" favoured a round ball that was easy to kick, and Rugby favoured an oblong one that was easy to throw.

However, Rugby never had one consistent set of rules. Over the late 19th and early 20th century, both games travelled all over the world. In English speaking North America, the favourite game became something based on "Rugby Union" rules with "downs" while in Australasia, they preferred "Rugby League" rules with "scrums". However, the games were still all called football and required a lot of contact with the foot throughout the game. Although current American football codes have a "snap", it's based on the old Rugby Union practice of kicking the ball backwards to start a new down.

However, the influence in the United States and Canada became based on something that was illegal under Rugby codes - throwing the ball forward. What we now call "Canadian football" was clearly more like Rugby Union when the current championship, the Grey Cup was established in 1909. However, the Canadian and American collegiate games started to influence each other and both continued to be called "football". North American footballs got leaner so they would be easier to throw long distances.

Now lets get back to Saskatoon. I hope to see you both there.

Edited by CoachMac

Mostly stuff I already knew, but come on handegg is funny ;)

More fun facts:

* What we call "soccer" is officially "association football." At Oxford university, students had a slang technique of shortening words and adding "-er" to the end. Rugby Football became Rugger. Association Football became Soccer. Footer was also a thing, but I don't know which game it was -- probably soccer because it's the most logical? The name "soccer" caught on among the upper class, but "football" remained the name of choice for association football among the common people because classism was a big thing up until the last few decades.

* Rugby League and Rugby Union were actually originally the exact same game, but two different organisations, much like the NHL and WHA. Over time, the rules diverged.

* I still sometimes get confused sometimes when I encounter "hockey" being used to mean "field hockey" instead of "ice hockey" (Argentinian schools have hockey teams?!?)

* The butter in butterfly is thought to have come from either the colour of common butterflies, or a story/myth that they stole butter. Regardless, we don't use the name "butterfly" to refer to an insect evolved from oldendays butterflies whose distinguishing feature in the present is that it swims :D

* Now that no one knows what a gridiron actually is, you sound way cooler shouting "GRidIRRRRnnn!!!" than "FOOHHHTBAHHHLLL"

Yes, definitely interested! November works well for me, in theory.

Someone has to try to stop AJ from winning an SNES tournament!

Also I hope Kudelski can make the trip to defend his title.

Sounds awesome. Doubt I can make it but will start saving my Loonies just in case.

And your twonies. Would love to see you there bud.

This looks great.

Not sure if the date will work with my Football schedule, but I will do all I can to make it.

would that be around playoff time?

when did u start coaching football mac....maybe u can coach the next ronaldo or messi .....football is such a great sport

champ...come on out bud. They have couches at bartari too.

This sounds like a great time! I am currently at about 25% probability of attending.

What do i need to do to increase that number bud?

Well, are you going? I'm at about 30% probability now.

I'm not married so I just have to convince myself it's a good idea. :lol:

I was going to spend money to get to Toronto anyway, if that was going down, so it's really just the difference. Put me at a strong 50%.

• 4 weeks later...

Still plugging away on this. Just trying to finish up a basic website with tournament information and registration page. I hope to have this done by next week.

Did you post this on tecmobowl.org? If money is on the line you may be able to get some decent players from the west coast to make a journey.

I haven't bud, but I will. Thanks bud!

Please feel free to browse

http://www.retrothon.com/home.html

I plan to open registration some point within the next 7 days.

It's a very basic website. Please feel free to check it out and provide any feedback. (broken links, typos, or whatever else you think will help improve it.).

Thanks!

Please feel free to browse

http://www.retrothon.com/home.html

I plan to open registration some point within the next 7 days.

It's a very basic website. Please feel free to check it out and provide any feedback. (broken links, typos, or whatever else you think will help improve it.).

Thanks!

its loading crazy slow for me... actually not loading at all.