NHL'94 Forums

GDL XVI - State of the Union **Season ends Oct 2nd**

Brutus

Ok guys. Season officially started August 1st, and pace of play in the league is generally 7 games a week for 8 weeks to get to 56 games.

For this season, I have replaced Beavers & Houly at season's beginning. I generally, DO NOT want to replace anyone mid-season, as it skews the stats and standings. I definitely DO NOT want to replace any END of the season as we did with EA the one season.

So, going forward this season, here is how I'm going to handle it.

IF YOU ARE NOT AT 28 games by September 6th, at 10:00 am eastern, you will be removed from the league.

Anyone who makes it past this checkpoint, will not be replaced to get to 56 games unless a coach intentionally drops out. DNP's, draft penalties, and non-renewal will be options to deter coaches from leaving their schedule unfinished. BUT, we will not have a constant "BOOT HIM" style Seth chorus running this season.

Renewal each season will be reserved for coaches that completed 56 games.

After that, anyone on the waitlist will be considered above coaches that have not reached 56 games.

Then, all remaining positions left over will be available for any slackers to return if they want to.

Ideally, we would like to run a 56 game FULL schedule type league and only invite guys who play all their games back, but 24 coaches who all finish their games and play at a decent skill level is not always available. Allowing the waiting list to have first rights ahead of slackers might help with this.

Current coaches behind schedule:

Zalex

VC

Labs

Sebe

Frey

Other coaches who have not hit the protected mark (but still have 2 1/2 weeks to get there)

Icestorm

Seth

Skip

Aqua

FPB

Zep

Darko

Plabax

Robro

Habs

J&J

^ yeah what happens if guys are slacking? How do you get to 56 if you can't play every team because of slackers?

Nothing happens. They're allowed back season after season, to perpetually bone those who are active. DNP's, draft penalties, not deterrents. Some guys I know I'll get my games in with. Several others, who knows. I've honestly lost interest after 2 weeks of searching and wasting my time. I needed a break to try to get interested again in GDL.

This league should have way fewer coaches. Better yet, keep the same numbers, have 1 draft, but create 2 separate divisions. Let all the huckle buckle beanstalk slackers and the historically active coaches each have their own division where they only play one other.

Same thing for playoffs. Have 2 champions. Let the hide n seekers drag their s**t out as long as they want with no deadlines or checkpoints. We need segregation.

Well half my division is way behind sched not much I can do lol

You'll deserve the same DNP demerits "they" get at end of season if you aren't able to find those needles in the haystack. (Sarcasm)

Edited by Uncle Seth

BK should run as independent. Would beat that orange-haired clown looking guy...

Brute Khan shoulda been running mate of Don J. He'd have given it to the Khan father.

Lame attempt at a joke. Just my way relaxing here after lashing out on this thread.

GDL has a set format.

24 coaches, a draft of the '94 Gens players, 56 games, Classic Rom, no real hacks, re-seeding in the playoffs & DNP's applied to playoff standing.

Trying to pretend you have 24 active coaches with enough skill to NOT have a 7++ GAA is silly. I struggle to get this count to 18.

Trying to pretend we can put the "best" / "most talented" 24 coaches in the league and get anywhere NEAR a full season in is also silly. The true active coach count is generally closer to 16, but over the course of 2 months, probably have at least 18 active coaches.

All complaining/ranting, etc that does NOT face this reality is a waste of time. The ONLY solution would be to build the community of coaches to have 24 active & skilled coaches or delay GDL's rate so we don't have as much frustration.

Seth you haven't played a game in 18 GD days. Cmon man quit your complaining and play.

All things considered, GDL in the heart of the summer is tough. The GP to date other than a few guys is pretty impressive.

Seth you haven't played a game in 18 GD days. Cmon man quit your complaining and play.

All things considered, GDL in the heart of the summer is tough. The GP to date other than a few guys is pretty impressive.

Yeah, the league is definitely ahead of pace. 9 out of 24 coaches are NOT at the 21 game check point that would be coming up this weekend, but the other half plus is way ahead of pace, so it's got the entire league pacing ahead.

Of the 9 behind, 5 have been on vacation (Darko, Sebe, Labs, Zep, & Aqua).

I replaced two coaches who literally went MIA prior to the draft. Their replacements despite starting behind schedule are at 25 & 26 games.

NOW, what has been quiet/dormant, has been the late night crowd on AIM. PM, creating forum posts to schedule games and such things are still viable options for setting up games.

AS WELL AS messaging me if you can't seem to reach an opponent, and I've been a willing middle man numerous times over the seasons.

Let's not pretend we are in some GDL hell here because we can't find our meds.

Yeah, the league is definitely ahead of pace. 9 out of 24 coaches are NOT at the 21 game check point that would be coming up this weekend, but the other half plus is way ahead of pace, so it's got the entire league pacing ahead.

Of the 9 behind, 5 have been on vacation (Darko, Sebe, Labs, Zep, & Aqua).

I replaced two coaches who literally went MIA prior to the draft. Their replacements despite starting behind schedule are at 25 & 26 games.

NOW, what has been quiet/dormant, has been the late night crowd on AIM. PM, creating forum posts to schedule games and such things are still viable options for setting up games.

AS WELL AS messaging me if you can't seem to reach an opponent, and I've been a willing middle man numerous times over the seasons.

Let's not pretend we are in some GDL hell here because we can't find our meds.

Yes there are plenty of slackers every year, but the same coaches who are willing to go the extra step (yes may not be fair to them that they have to but) always seem to get to 56 games. Edited by Lupz27

Yes there are plenty of slackers every year, but the same coaches who are willing to go the extra step (yes may not be fair to them that they have to but) always seem to get to 56 games.

Yeah, I'm not disputing that without the "core" of "hardcore" guys in the league we'd be nowhere near completion each season.

And, that's the crux. Without the other "slackers", we'd be nowhere near 24 coaches.

If I opened it up to A/B, I could probably get it to 20 active coaches.

In other words, GDL and the rules setup that make it GDL require all 24 coaches, and that's why I stated that byatching/whining/arguing about it constantly definitely starts to fall on deaf ears after a while. (cough cough Seth).

I'm also still kicking tires on the concept, but as of right now, I'm still planning on ending GDL XVI end of September, playoffs in October, and GDL XVII starting up in November.

At this time, I might announce GDL runs once a year, like November lottery, December draft/trade/pre-season, and January start date.

I think the January start date would fit in the best with Classic and other leagues.

Again, still kicking tires on this, but then I could run another league that went from say April through November with different ROMs/options, etc. Around April, would be a smaller league for guys who have the ability to do Classic & Brute's league, etc. Maybe summer league only for guys who game a lot in the summer, etc. Could then do a no penalty ROM & draft, or AJ's idea of being able to play defenders at forward & forwards at defense, etc.

IF GDL XVI was totally flat towards the season's end, I might not jump right into GDL XVII, but switch to my own league at that time as well.

That's why I say, kicking tires right now.

How are the people who wait until the last week different from people who demand a week of exi to knock off rust? You waste a week not playing at all and another for exi. That's 25% of your allotted time in the trash.

If you need exi, fine play them. But don't cry that people aren't available when you want them to be. Plenty of people aren't available when I want to play which is why I have to schedule once I play the guys who are always on.

Reach out to guys instead of waiting around all night only to complain later. It's annoying to read the forums when every other post is a troll or a b***h.

I'm not even the one running the leagues. Jesus I'm cranky.

Still, my point applies.

AJ makes a good point with the rust. But:

The guys who complain are the ones who HAVE to reach out to others, and are tired of doing so. The ones who don't complain are the ones who wait around all night doing nothing because they are waiting for the last days of the deadline to squeeze in the games.

I'm not complaining about not having enough time to complete games. I could bang out the majority of my remaining games in less than a week. But then I'd still be waiting weeks for those other slackers who are either never on, or rarely on. Some that do randomly pop on do so for 2 games then they're gone for another 2 weeks. I'd be in the same boat. It gets old after a while. And don't think for a minute that I'm the only one who feels this way. Just one of the few willing to stick my neck out there and b***h about it publicly. Can't help blowing off some steam over it. I understand the backlash of others who are sick of reading my complaints.

Edited by Uncle Seth

going on vacation for the next 2 weeks starting tommorow... you might as well replace me now cause i'm def not sure that i'll reach this deadline.

going on vacation for the next 2 weeks starting tommorow... you might as well replace me now cause i'm def not sure that i'll reach this deadline.

Definitely not sure 👎💩

Two weeks to spare on vacation but can't spare 10mins to play some games.. real funny

Raph will be replacing Freydey.

Sebe, VC & Zalex have till Sept 6th, or I will have to find another 2-3 replacement coaches.

Aww snap, I'll dust off my controller and get back in action soonest.

Note: If Frey wants his team back when he comes back from vacation, I'm down with that too.

Yes. Via text, I discussed this with Frey. IF he comes back in 2 weeks and is able to log on and finish his games, Raph is willing to step back down.

I put the odds on this at 50/50. Either way, a top level coach will be guiding Quebec down the stretch.

I think we want to make sure that our Ironhorse Raph does not get rushed back fully into action and "re-fatigue" himself :)