NHL'94 Forums

Blitz Checking Question

CoachMac

Looking at this real quick with Skips vhl rom based on blitz, the answer is 3.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMZEBNDXrNmSyH4MUR7KQyyvhZXSGh1UlSRs2ZANzm4/htmlview

See Tyler Johnson with a 3 chk rating, 5 wgt and a chk ability of 5.9. Compare to Jaden Schwartz who has 2 chk and 6 wgt, with a chk ability of 5.4.

It depends on the weights of the players.

A light player with a checking rating of 3 gets a boost to the number used when checking.

A heavy player with a checking rating of 3 has a bit of a penalty when checking.

Look around in the hacking section for the weight bug fix and I think I give the exact formula in there.

The checking value has to be at least 2 greater than the weight to successfully check.

Example: 6 weight with 6 checking gives a checking value of 10.4, which will give the ability to check players with a weight of 8 or less.

Great info. Thanks for the help.

6 wt with 4 checking could not check another 6 wt player as 7.9 minus 2 is 5.9?

A 6 wt player would need a 5 in checking to check another 6 wt player?

As far as I know, the +2 rule is not an exact science. It might be more accurately +1.5 or something like that.

Momentum can affect your ratings, and make a guy's ratings change enough to put you over the "2.0" threshold even if you were a 1.7, so if anyone is going to re-test anything, keep that in mind.

BUT, during slow times of the games, where momentum is almost non-existent or at the beginning as well of the game, I've found the math to work only "2.0 or better".

This is most especially true for me at the beginning of the game when all the ratings were "fresh" in my mind and I could remember who could/ could not check me. I have no recollection of being surprised. I am regularly surprised during C/B fests with Raph or Seth, as guys below the 2.0 mark in C/B still knock you down. And yes, I am taking into account normal checks, not the goofy angle ones where weight almost doesn't matter, even in Classic or Blitz (ie like against the boards).

THAT SAID, I am getting old these days and it's been a few years since I've played Blitz, and maybe my memory is altering what really was going on back then.

So there is really no way to make a guy like Keith Magnuson who was 6 weight wrecking ball capable of knocking out anyone in the league capable of that in NHL94 since the best a 6 wt can get is to check an 8 wt if I give him a 6 in checking.

To get above that I have to make him heavier.

So there is really no way to make a guy like Keith Magnuson who was 6 weight wrecking ball capable of knocking out anyone in the league capable of that in NHL94 since the best a 6 wt can get is to check an 8 wt if I give him a 6 in checking.

To get above that I have to make him heavier.

You can increase his checking attribute.

6 wgt + 6 chk = 10.4 checking ability, as per the tables Raph pasted in above.

If you're making an old-teams ROM, I recommend using smozROM and changing the base weight, in order to counter the tendency of old-time players being lighter than 90s players. It'll shift things like 2 pounds or something.

http://www.hhof.com/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13488

To shake his erudite reputation, he signed as a free agent with the Chicago Blackhawks in 1969-70. From that moment on, Magnuson, with his red head of hair, erupted onto the NHL scene like an angry carrot.

Worst nickname ever.

Love and am using the Smozrom.

The issue remains a 6 wt with 6 chk = 10.4 chk ability but that only checks an 8 wt.

10.4 -2

Or am I missing something

Ohh right, sorry, I get it.

Yeah you'd have to pump up his weight.

OR, change the Blitz formula to your own custom formula...pump up the 10x checking multiplier to something else like 15 (that would give a 6 weight, 6 checking guy a check rating of 14.1!).

Unfortunately, the way the code is implemented, there's no easy/trivial way to do this. You can only do 5x, 10x, 20x, 40x...

The game normally stores the attributes as 5x the 0-6 values. So I grab that value and I use a fast/small instruction that multiplies by powers of 2. So you can only make it 5x1=5, 5x2=10, 5x4=20, 5x8=40, etc..

Multiplication is often both slow and large (takes more bytes in the rom) on old machines, so usually you do things with powers of 2 because it's super fast. For example, when they make that original "attribute value times 5", what they do is they take the original value, calculate 4x that value, then add the original value to 4x the value, to get 5x the value.

Gotcha...then pump that sucker to 20! I guess you can also apply the 15 point rating hack to smooth it out a bit.

That's a good idea.

Translate the weights as normal, but use generally lower checking ratings.

Note that the AI will check less if you do that, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  1. Open up the rom in a hex editor
  2. Go to offset 013D72
  3. The contents will look like this: 4e b9 gg gg gg gg (where the g's are some other values -- it's the pointer to where the weight bug fix code is)
  4. Go to the offset gg gg gg gg
  5. You should see: 3F 01 90 2a 00 67 12 2B 00 67 E2 01 E2 01 D0 01 12 2B 00 75 E3 01 ....
  6. Change E3 01 to E3 02.

That should do it.

• 2 weeks later...

With Blitz checking do the CPU controlled players have the wt bug or is everybody fixed.

cpu checks were never affected by the weight bug, even in the classic rom. This is why CB checking is a thing, it's esentially making your human check a cpu check.

Im hoping I understood your question correctly

Im hoping I understood your question correctly

Not exactly.

Here is the question.

I have run a rom through the Smozrom to get the improved wt bug fix.

I have fixed the C/B check.

Does this also fix the weight bug with players the computer controls. (ie like in a CPU vs CPU game)

If the C/B bug has been fixed, then all players will check the same. So with the weight bug fix, the CPU- and human-controlled players will all check so the big guys can hit and get the Checking attribute factored into their checking effectiveness.

If the C/B bug has not been fixed, I'm actually not quite sure what happens...