NHL'94 Forums

DIY NHL 94 Tournament at home

Any tips on holding a small videogame tournament at home (NHL '94 obv)?

I'm thinking of holding my own little tourney sometime this fall/winter. Ideally I'll be able to get together a group of 5-10 friends. Worst case, I could just play against my star wars figurines.

My friends don't care much for videogames, so I guess it would mostly be all about drinking and socializing. I don't know.. Has anyone held their own tournament, and how did you keep it fun for the non-hardcore players like us?

We do it all the time.

Play different games.

92, 93, 94

TSB.

RBI

Jams

Table Hockey

Darts

Ping Pong

Flag Football

Wiffle Ball

Handicap people at what they are good at.

AngryJay pretty much just uses the worst teams in 94.

I use middle of the road teams makes my casual friends a little competitive as they get Chicago and Detroit.

Hey BK,

What I do when I'm doing a small fun/drinking tourney is

-Get a piece of paper and make a playoff bracket.

-Pick the player match ups however you want. Pick any teams you want.

-Play the tourney till the winner. That player becomes "Hockey Champ"

-Now play a new playoff without "Hockey Champ"

-The winner of the new playoff now plays 'Hockey Champ" for the title.

-If the original "Hockey Champ" loses he has to play another playoff to get a chance to win the title back.

As a hardcore gamer, you could sit out a few rounds and have your buds get the hang of it, the person that becomes "Hockey Champ" will be pumped!!! Let them build up their skills and then come in when ever you want or just sit back and watch the fun.

This is what we did for years... on all EA Hockey games. It's a great system because you get bragging rights. It's more like boxing or MMA where you hold the title till someone beats you, and when you lose it you have to fight to get it back.

So you can play it over a night/weekend or keep it going. In high school against my friends (about 10 of us that played regularly) I held Hockey Champ for a year and a half and retired champ (AKA graduated highschool) ... it was glorious.

*Weird side note... we never edited the lines or used manual goalies. For some reason, it was looked down on. It was only till I started filming the doc that i saw that everyone else the world does it and its 100% necessary to win at a high level. We always tried to play the games as quick as possible i guess.

That's a cool idea, Mikey.

If you want to not eliminate players, you can do a Swiss tournament, which basically sorts things so everyone tends to play players closer to their skill levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

• 2 weeks later...

We do those as well

http://www.segathon.com/the-busch-league-games/

Do a bunch of different games but make sure they are over quick. So if we did a baseball game we only go 3 innings.

Can also do speed runs / 1st to die with Mario etc as one player games. Sometimes its fun to pull an obscure old shitty game that no one likes to play like Robocop for NES and watch people struggle and die quickly.

Also anything with a 4 way player is better.