NHL'94 Forums

How to poke check without accidentally changing the controlled player?

KurtVogel

Hi!

I'm new to this awesome forum of this timeless and great game.

Finally posting because I couldn't find a topic on this.

B checking aka poke checking seems to be effective, especially if you're not familiar with the weight of your and the opponent's players.

However, you change the controlled player with the same button, so there's a problem.

I've had so many goals scored against me because I've tried to poke check with the last line of defense

and I've managed only to change the player I control to someone ten feet away from the puck and the opponent has a free ride to deke and score a goal.

I like the poke check when it works, so here's the question:

Is there anything that can be done to make sure your player will poke check and NOT switch to another player when pressing B?

I've tried a lot of things but can't for the life of me figure this out. Should I press D-pad to some direction at the same time, or should the player be facing the puck

or should I be at a certain distance?

Thank you.

Edited by KurtVogel

I share your frustration, I wish there was a dedicated player switch button and poke check button. I don't know of anything that can help, I'd be interested to see if anyone else has tips.

Having said that, I believe the player changes to closest to the puck, so this shouldn't happen too often.

Having said that, I believe the player changes to closest to the puck, so this shouldn't happen too often.

That is what it says in the manual, that when you don't already have the puck, a "B" will change to your closest player to the puck. But we all know there is other logic involved, because it doesn't always work when you want it to, and often works too well when you don't want it to. (Especially when you want to switch to a D-man as your opponent skates past your forwards towards your net! Dammit, switch to THEM!!!)

I am no expert, and my methods are not recommended, but I do tend to "Mash B" 2-3 times in quick succession when I am going for a poke check. I have read others that have better laser precision, and pull off the one-click poke check, but not me. I am a masher. (Slumps head.)

Edited by aqualizard

Basically, if you miss the B-check, you may become someone else. So don't miss the B-check :). Think of it ass punishment for missing, just like missing a C check and flying by the guy. Otherwise you could sit there and spam the B-check with no downside.

I have a memory like a fish, but I dont really remember B checks not working when I want them to. Even when trying to intercept a pass with B, I think it works quite consistently.

B checks are life. I really do love them. If I have a child someday and its a boy, B-check would be a great middle name. Thats one gigantic if tho

Maybe to protect him from bullying I could spell it differently, like beechek lol

Basically, if you miss the B-check, you may become someone else. So don't miss the B-check :). Think of it ass punishment for missing, just like missing a C check and flying by the guy. Otherwise you could sit there and spam the B-check with no downside.

Basically, NHL 14, 15 & 16 were like this. Online guys just spammed the poke check rapidly and it made it difficult to carry the puck along the boards. Poke check was not the same button as player control.

I actually LIKE that B is for both. This creates the tactic of trying to get a guy to B check you & miss you & be stuck controlling another defender not right in front of you. The chaos of the moment can lead to some good scoring chances, as noted by the original post complaining about it happening to them.

HOWEVER, the advent of the C/B check has lessened my use of this tactic, because I generally would use it when I had a lighter player who had good agility, say a Gretzky type. He wasn't prone to C check, and guys knew they couldn't knock him down without the B check.

Now, C/B has a longer range than C or B checks, so trying to dance too long with a light guy usually just backfires on me, and some fat defender has pancaked me before I even started to find my groove :)