NHL'94 Forums

King of '93 WI?

Edge of '94 Midwest

The word on the street is that the King of '94 WI tournament, albeit a bit light in numbers(15), was a tremendous success. We anticipate a much greater traveling and local turnout next year. Our goal is to have an annual tournament with this game, and stick to that.

In the meantime, I have over a dozen CRT screens, 10 Sega Genesis consoles of my own, access to more via friends, and a burning thought that we could be doing something else with them.

There seems to be a lot of love for NHLPA '93 out there, the carts are very inexpensive, and I also have love for other 1993 mainstays including Mortal Kombat II and Street Fighter 2 Special Championship Edition on that system, which I also happen to have carts of.

If we sought out hosting a January or February event in 2017, mainly focused on NHLPA 93, with side fun tournaments(something would be on the line) on the other two games after its conclusion, would you want to make the trip to Green Bay to be apart of it? We would take the same intense approach as we did with NHL 94 in the way of planning, promotion, and execution.

I already have an idea for the tournament name, King of '93 - WI, Gretzky's Head.

I'd like your thoughts, if you have any.

Sincerely,

Trojan

What makes it terrible? Haven't played it in ages

Lack of manual goalie, and the auto goalies might as well not be there, they are terrible. Essentially it comes down to breakaways vs breakaways where 95% of the time you score, or hit post. Soooo frustrating when your opponent gets by and all you can do is make a sandwich while he scores a sure goal.

No b-check. So added with no goalie, you need a weight bugger to have any semblance of defense. But you can imagine how unstoppable a guy like JR would be. Can't check,b-check, and no goalie! Fffffffffffffffffff.....

At least that's what I remember.

Essentially skill is not needed as much. Just start flipping coins.

Lack of manual goalie, and the auto goalies might as well not be there, they are terrible. Essentially it comes down to breakaways vs breakaways where 95% of the time you score, or hit post. Soooo frustrating when your opponent gets by and all you can do is make a sandwich while he scores a sure goal.

No b-check. So added with no goalie, you need a weight bugger to have any semblance of defense. But you can imagine how unstoppable a guy like JR would be. Can't check,b-check, and no goalie! Fffffffffffffffffff.....

Thanks for being specific in your concerns. Obviously if you are a 94 guy, 94 may not be your favorite option. If we can find enough guys that would come to play this, 94, and anything else, I'll do it, if not, meh.

I think for a non-pro tournament, a lot of guys would like 1993, especially with the fighting and trash talking that you can do while watching.

If you had to play 20 plus games in a season, then 1993 starts to get REALLY monotonous, but for say 8 games vs 8 different opponents, and each game with a different team, that's not such a smash your head against the wall.

Maybe while drinking some beer :) ?!?! That would double down on the enjoyment, ESPECIALLY if I can get you to bleed out on the ice.

I'd not drive 3 hours for that, but I'd show up if it were local for sure.

If my memory of '93 is correct, there is no weight bug, so there is no "buggers". Basically, Bob Probert is a beast.

I destroy with Bob Probert in '93 :)

I don't even do coke, but after 2-3 games with using him, you'll feel like I'd want to give it a try!! That fat man just crushes everyone all over the ice and can't be knocked down, can't be B checked, and you can't manual to the goalie to stop my cheese with him, and since he's not fast, this happens to you in slow motion.

If my memory of '93 is correct, there is no weight bug, so there is no "buggers". Basically, Bob Probert is a beast.

I destroy with Bob Probert in '93 :)

I don't even do coke, but after 2-3 games with using him, you'll feel like I'd want to give it a try!! That fat man just crushes everyone all over the ice and can't be knocked down, can't be B checked, and you can't manual to the goalie to stop my cheese with him, and since he's not fast, this happens to you in slow motion.

You're thinking of the Hitz league, Coach Mac fixed the weight bug for that one. I went something like 0-8 when I took over a team, then 8-0 after I was allowed to sub in two fatties, one of them Fetisov. Again, with no other options for defense, weight was 100% the most important attribute in that league. Fighting was a detriment.

But to your point, as a fun game with your buds, could be fun. Just not league worthy.

It was Hitz and it was wt bug fixed.

Probert is actually rated 77 overall the same as Gretzky.

92 has no wt bug.

Sadly, I have to agree.

94 is the game.

Though I was a long time hold out for 93 then 92.

I know I have lived a charmed life when one of the greatest tragedies in my life was the removal fighting from 94.

I think for a non-pro tournament, a lot of guys would like 1993, especially with the fighting and trash talking that you can do while watching.

If you had to play 20 plus games in a season, then 1993 starts to get REALLY monotonous, but for say 8 games vs 8 different opponents, and each game with a different team, that's not such a smash your head against the wall.

Maybe while drinking some beer :) ?!?! That would double down on the enjoyment, ESPECIALLY if I can get you to bleed out on the ice.

I'd not drive 3 hours for that, but I'd show up if it were local for sure.

Yeah I think this is spot-on. Game doesn't have the depth for "pro" play, but still can be a lot of fun.

In addition to having the systems and games burning a hole in my sanity, I was looking for a way to accelerate the timeline of getting the travelers together, as I have no issue grabbing local guys for casual nights.

My other thought in all of this was to test the waters in moving up the annual NHL 94 tournament to Winter, say in March, which is near the midst of the tail end of the NHL season anyway.

Any thoughts on that?

As a side game, maybe a mini tournament for those knocked out of the main tourney.

Same reason I was itching to get a multitap and play some side games of 2v2.

Next time.

As a side game, maybe a mini tournament for those knocked out of the main tourney.

Same reason I was itching to get a multitap and play some side games of 2v2.

Next time.

I picked up an EA multitap and had some issues, at least with 6 button controllers attached. Do you know if it's only designed to work with 3 button?

I picked up an EA multitap and had some issues, at least with 6 button controllers attached. Do you know if it's only designed to work with 3 button?

Yes, if you have a 6 button, there is a "mode" button on the top right. Make sure to press and hold that button down when turning on the systen, it configures the controller to be 3 button and function properly with the 4-way play.

Yeah those 4 ways are pretty tricky with all the different sega controllers that are made. Kingraph is right with the mode but sometimes that doesn't even work. If my memory servers me right, last time I did the 4 way I had to put the 6 button in the 3 player slot to make it work.