NHL'94 Forums

Miracle On Ice: Aqualizard Knocks Out FPB!

aqualizard

Important note: This has not happened! YET!

FPB is one of the highest skilled players, and finished near the top of the league. Aqualizard is a poor player all around! On paper, and off of paper, and in every way imaginable, FPB is likely to win 4 games straight! Unless....

You tell me my best strategy to beat him!!

Me: I won 19 games, had a Goals Against AVG of 5.04, and Goals for of 3.43. In short, I score rarely and give up lots of goals! My one saving grace is I have Mogilny, and was able to get about 2,5 PPG with him. (Yes, I know that is a sad PPG for 89!) My tender is Ranford which is decent enough (unless I take control, which I often do).

Him: Won 47 games, with a GA of 3.29, and GF of 6.04! He scores lots, with Verbeek (121 goals), Hogue (78) and D-man Paul Coffee (56). In net he has Belfour, which hardly seems fair.

What should my strategy be? Currently I am thinking don't even try for one timers (he will clog up for sure) and move Mogs to wing, and give him the puck as much as possible and try to score with dekes? For D, I have no good plan. Just plug the middle up (don't chase).

In general, what is a good strategy when one is severely outmatched? Of course more specific advice is appreciated, too!

Join in the fun and help me take this malcontent down!!! :)

I'd request that you record the games and send me the krec. I'd be happy to do a commentary of the result of things you can be aware of for next time.

If I were going to play FPB, here's what I would be thinking (though I haven't played him in GDL this season):

* Ellett/Coffey will be more involved, slick skaters, do not chase them. If he brings them in, carefully try to check down for a breakaway opportunity.

* Very traditional scorer, one-timers and dekes. Not a big pass-shooter, so don't play against that. Unlikely to do give-n-go, so can guess on first pass one-timer.

* If I had to guess on a breakaway deke, start with the forehand until he starts changing.

* Plays aggressive goalie, so try holding the puck an extra second, or making an extra pass to get him out of position/dive. However, he may be more reserved with Belfour, and against lesser skilled opponent.

* He is patient on D, driving to the center will not be successful most of the time. Think about taking a dman behind a forward to cause traffic/chaos. Wrist the puck at the net to also try and create some chaos if you can't get close.

* Not a big passer, will carry the puck with one person. Opportunity to check, but he's crafty, so be careful not to overchase if you're missing.

Good luck! Strategies can take you only so far, most games come down to consistency (focus) and reducing mistakes/capitalizing on others' mistakes.

Wow, Raph! I absolutely will record it, and appreciate that offer! (I actually record all of my games, though a crash wrecks the Krecs, which is not infrequent.)

Also, thanks a lot for the many points! All great ideas! :)

I'd request that you record the games and send me the krec. I'd be happy to do a commentary of the result of things you can be aware of for next time.

If I were going to play FPB, here's what I would be thinking (though I haven't played him in GDL this season):

* Ellett/Coffey will be more involved, slick skaters, do not chase them. If he brings them in, carefully try to check down for a breakaway opportunity.

* Very traditional scorer, one-timers and dekes. Not a big pass-shooter, so don't play against that. Unlikely to do give-n-go, so can guess on first pass one-timer.

* If I had to guess on a breakaway deke, start with the forehand until he starts changing.

* Plays aggressive goalie, so try holding the puck an extra second, or making an extra pass to get him out of position/dive. However, he may be more reserved with Belfour, and against lesser skilled opponent.

* He is patient on D, driving to the center will not be successful most of the time. Think about taking a dman behind a forward to cause traffic/chaos. Wrist the puck at the net to also try and create some chaos if you can't get close.

* Not a big passer, will carry the puck with one person. Opportunity to check, but he's crafty, so be careful not to overchase if you're missing.

Good luck! Strategies can take you only so far, most games come down to consistency (focus) and reducing mistakes/capitalizing on others' mistakes.

Excuse me i've become a refined pass shooter

Otherwise it's pretty good!

Edited by The Russian Rocket

Raph gave great advice. It is appreciated.

(I hold my head in shame as I write this next part.)

I lost 4 straight to FPB last night. And yes, he even potted some of those pass goals he mentioned. What can I say, the guy has skillz.

Haha, ok, quick scouting report on AJ, who btw, is currently one of the best, if not the best, player out there right now with one of the greatest regular seasons in GDL history. I think JV, you know this will be a tough challenge, to say the least:

* Highly adaptive, so he will quickly adjust his play to counter any effectiveness you have. Best to not stick to patterns (always going left, always rushing with same person, etc), or AJ will sniff them out and neutralize. Especially over a 7 game series. Unpredictability, as difficult as that is, would be to your advantage.

* Traditional scorer, no pass shots. Will mostly try a short side deke vs. firing off to a blind one-timer, so play GC against that if he's attacking at an angle.

* Do not chase, AJ skates left/right very well to avoid checks.

* Unfortunately for you, the defense of this particular team is nasty. Roy in net, with Stevens and Iafrate's AI killing you, and AJ patiently clogging the middle with a F makes for a virtual brick wall. GAA is ~2.6 for the season, soooooo you are technically above average if you score 3 goals a game. Breakaways/quick rushes will be your best friend, you have to capitalize on all opportunities. You can't "wait" to set up a play. That defense just won't allow it.

* I don't think AJ will be playing much GC, but if he does, try to fake the crease cut and float one back.

* Do not pass shoot. I don't think you've gotten effective enough at it and you're better off putting up shots on goal/rebound. Even a wrister, despite Roy likely not giving up rebounds.

Good luck, you're playing against one of the toughest opponents you will ever face. Try to stay focused and disciplined, again easier said than done. He's gonna score a ton and give up few. Welp, ggs.