NHL'94 Forums

Game Crashes

Over the past week, I've started having a much higher amount of crashes while playing.

The crashes happen in the following ways:

1. I get spinner, and then Kaillera reports "Data timeout" and drops game. Gens does not crash.
  2. Game has an exception, and I get the windows info box with the details. Gens crashes outright.

About 90% of crashes are of type #1.

Previous to last week I would say about 1 in 8 games dumped. Now I am experiencing a crash approx 1 in 3 games!

This is happening across two completely different systems:

1. Hardwired Laptop i7 2.6Ghz with 16gb mem
    • Broadband Cable 45Mbps down, 10 Mbps Up
  2. Hardwired Desktop i7 4.7Ghz with 32GB mem
  • Broadband Cable 36Mbps down, 4 Mbps Up

I have noticed, on both systems, that when Kaillera is running CPU usage starts to get higher the longer it runs. Sometimes it approaches 50%!

Are there any setup or troubleshooting tips anyone can suggest? It's getting to the point where it seems almost unplayable.

I have tried the following:

• shutting down any software i can that uses the Internet (browser skype etc...)
  • shutting down any virus scanners

Atomic

Edited by AtomicRaven

• Are you plugged in via Ethernet?
  • What OS?
  • Data timeouts usually happen due to lag spikes. Test your latency by opening command prompt and ping google.com -t
  • See if you have any crazy spikes or if its usually consistent.
  • Also I would suggest adding some smoothing in Kaillera. Try "Always +1 frames" or more.
  • Try a fresh setup of gens + kaillera and see if it persists.

• Are you plugged in via Ethernet? Yes - that's what I meant by hardwired

• What OS? Windows 7 Pro SP1
  • Data timeouts usually happen due to lag spikes. Test your latency by opening command prompt and ping google.com -t I'll try this tonight
  • Also I would suggest adding some smoothing in Kaillera. Try "Always +1 frames" or more. This is what I have it set to already
  • Try a fresh setup of gens + kaillera and see if it persists. I will try tonight