NHL'94 Forums

Ideas to keep the interest and flow going in leagues.

hokkeefan

1-Shorter regular seasons (1 month!!)

2-Firm time limits in playoffs

3- no extensions

4- zero tolerance for slackers( no matter who it is!)

5- no excuses allowed

6- if it's a draft lg, 1 hour time limits from the start, people are aware it's going, if they miss their pick, award them the best available player needed.

That's not legal in all states and we're working on it still in Canada :D

It's legal in France, I consulted a Lawyer at the time, when I had the project to create a money prize for tournament. What is illegal is the hazard games. But If players are rewarded for their talent, it's legal. Depend just of the point of view.

What if we create officially the tournament in France or somewhere else in the World where it's legal ? Does players from America have the right to participate legally ?

Edited by Pearate

If league participation starts to dwindle, I'd like to see tournament play start to pick-up... or maybe mini leagues. Brut was onto something when he started looking back at old roms IMO, skip the 'drafting' and start drafting teams in previous GDL/Blitz roms.

Roms like clockwise' NHL 91 would be great to play again. Or the many retro roms from Coach.

I agree, it is hard to keep interest in leagues where it could be a week or weeks without getting any games. Smaller leagues for active people during long huge main event leagues is propably the fix for those willing, plabax league for 8-14 people sounds perfect and the idea is exciting to me behind it and the pace of it. For main event leagues we have classic 2x per calendar year and gdl when there is a call for it, I feel like gdl has run nonstop for a year or over now. It wasn't long ago when classic was much smaller, change pretty much happened around ko94. It wasn't long ago when gdl was once or 1,5 times per calendar year, to compensate what's up now there sure was Blitz.

People take time off from the game, sometimes for years, I've done it a couple of times. I have played under emotional depravation towards it and it is intoxicating to others as well. Taking some time off is ok, do not feel forced to play, but not during leagues. It is true that leagues are maybe a bit too supportive towards top players slack with extensions etc. Be strict, it's the same for everyone. Smaller one conference leagues are cool.

Fact is hockey is a small market game in the world compared to many others and to add there a retro video game about it, the number of players might not be too big to have big leagues constantly with great interest. We could improve marketing with a few things, but that is for another thread.

There exists some odd irony going on at this site for over a year now.

Regularly, the "active coaches" (and this changes from month to month) have been a motley mix of elite type A or mid level B. It's hard to do small leagues when 1/3rd of the league will crush the other 2/3rd's.

There hasn't been enough of all A or all B to make a smooth league. Those leagues/tourneys have gone largely to the wayside for that reason.

1-Shorter regular seasons (1 month!!)

2-Firm time limits in playoffs

3- no extensions

4- zero tolerance for slackers( no matter who it is!)

5- no excuses allowed

6- if it's a draft lg, 1 hour time limits from the start, people are aware it's going, if they miss their pick, award them the best available player needed.

I will agree if all the "A" guys or all of the "B" guys do an active head count, and figure out, there are "X" of us, let's do a short league, they probably would have success.

Another success would be a 6 man tourney using old ROMs. Fairly easy to set up with google docs, and just like these local tourneys we see posted around, we ALL like reading about them.

Something to actively follow along to, so even though it's not as cool as a 24 man league, I hope some of you do take the time this holiday to get some tourneys going. I like reading about this stuff when I get slow at work.