NHL'94 Forums

NHL17 by Skip and Slapshot67 - Major Update!

skip

This is absolutely fantastic, so much fun and seems much better balanced than the OG NHL 94. My only gripe is that the splash (title?) screen is Sidney Crosby, but that's because I'm a Flyers fan. Haha.

Very well done!

Thanks! QUICK QUESTION/Opinion Poll:

I think we can all agree Ovechkin is the best goal scorer of the last 5-10 years. That being said, I've given him a 5-6 shooting (5 shot power, 6 shot accuracy)...

Do you think Ovechkin should be a 6 shot power - 5 or 4 shot accuracy instead?

**Note: I made a conscious effort to keep Chara and Weber with the only 6 shot powers for obvious reasons. But when you look back at Hull having a 6 shot power on the Blues in classic 94, makes me think maybe Ovi should have a 6 power, too. I know Hull is a 6-3, but I think Ovechkin should still have the 5 or at least, a 4 acc.

I'd leave Ovi at a 5 shot power. His best in a Skills Competition -- 101.8mph -- is still slower than Stamkos, Subban, or Byfuglien. Not that performance in the Skills Competition is the only way to measure it, but at least it's a more official guideline.

What are the standards by which you rate everyone else?

Edited by The Dopefish

Normally, a higher shot power means that player can score from further away with better chance due to their heavy shot. I see it as a physical thing (ie. Chara and Weber) but also a goalscorers thing.

To give some perspective, here are the top shooters in the game for the next update -->

Ovechkin is the only 5-6. Crosby, Kane, Jagr are all 4-6 since none of these guys have an 'overpowering' shot in real life when compared to others, but they score tons of goals

All of these players are 5-5's (these are "snipers" that score/are on pace for 35+ goals)

Pavelski, Stamkos, Benn, Seguin, Tarasenko, Simmonds, Pastrnak, Hossa, Laine, Perry

Simmonds was just added to this list after being a 4-5 for a while. Laine and Pastrnak are young but at the top of the league for goals already.

Players that score 30+ goals get a 4-5 or 5-4 (though, for the next update, I have McDavid at 3-6 for shooting). You'll see again, the heavier shooters are 5-4, finesse type guys usually 4-5.

Malkin, Gaudreau, Tavares, Kucherov, Marchand, Panarin, Galchenyuk, Duchene, Nash, Scheifele, Matthews, Eichel, Pacioretty, Neal, Barkov, Saad, Toffoli, van Riemsdyk & Skinner all have 4-5.

Kessel and Spezza are the only players with a 5-4. I mentioned, but McDavid is a 3-6 for V3.

A few guys recently lost their 4-5's (Bergeron, Carter, Eriksson, Monahan & Jenner) while Doan & Palmieri lost their 5-4's.

I've been trying to be more strict and create more of a gap between the star players.

So you still run it as Offsides/Penalties ON, but you wouldn't have penalties.

Yes, they call the penalty and then no one goes to the box.

It really screws up the flow of the game.

I have actually only done this in 92, when trying to limit some penalty calls, I made them zero.

But I would imagine the same thing would happen in 94.

Penalty called.

Stoppage.

No one goes to box.

Faceoff.

Couldn't you just use NOSE and turn all penalties to 0 mins?

Yes, you could do but doesn't really turn them OFF

• 4 weeks later...

@Tomill - that is funny you mention it, only because I downloaded the Sega CD emulator last night! I hadn't thought about any other versions, but I can check if it's possible.

• 2 weeks later...

haha yeah Schultz is already bumped up, now he is the 52nd ranked Dman, by overall (75 right now).

I'll probably do the next update at the trade deadline since that is approaching quickly. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, smitty262 said:

amazing job guys.  Curious if there is anyway to play a full 82 game season with this rom or if i would have to have an updated nhl 95 version.  Thanks again!

Do it manually! I've always wanted to do that but of course it takes a lot of time and dedication.

On 2/23/2017 at 10:32 AM, hort22 said:

great rom fellas...hey skip can you change the wild to their green uniform for their home set?...seems like they have been wearing the green alot more lately.

Hey dude, sorry I missed this. Next time!

• 6 months later...