NHL'94 Forums

Test Post - New and SOOOOO Excited

Burntman

NHL 94 is my favourite sports game of all time!

I played the Genesis version for many many many hours as a kid. I don't know what took my so long to search for it online!

It's been a looooong time so likely will suck at Netplay at first until I get some practice in (C-Leagues?)

Some initial thoughts / comments and some of my (very old) things I used to do on the game!

• Is "JR" allowed in the leagues? How does Chicago then ever lose?
  • Pretty sure I won the Stanley Cup with EVERY team (with line changes and offsides on...20 min periods often). MAYBE I skipped Anaheim...can't remember.
  • I would pull the goalie for a whole game against the computer. I think I gave the computer a terrible team (Anaheim) and I had to be Boston or Chicago I think. I would normally win...but sometimes could not.
  • I noticed MANUAL GOALIES. Yikes! I don't remember doing manual goalies much / ever! Worried about that. In non-league fun play are the rules / options up to the 2 players?

Favorite (NHL94 team): Quebec. But I pretend Sundin is Peter Forsberg! And I put Olan Nolan on the 3rd line. Don't like his work ethic.

Looking forward to playing (once I figure out how!)

• Is "JR" allowed in the leagues? How does Chicago then ever lose?
  • I noticed MANUAL GOALIES. Yikes! I don't remember doing manual goalies much / ever! Worried about that. In non-league fun play are the rules / options up to the 2 players?

Welcome Burntman! You are just what we are looking for! A technical computer guy with sound communication skills that is new, and can give great feedback. (Which you already have, but keep it coming!)

Yes, JR and CHI are certainly allowed, and I used to think the same thing as you, but guess what? As you get better playing the online pros you come to find that JR may not be the best player, and CHI may not be the best team! In the A division, where the vets can score with many variations of pass shots and have sound positional play, too, the teams don't make a huge difference as long as they are at least decent (say Boston or better).

As for manual control, again, the better you get, the more critical this skill is. Auto goalie is for rookies! Being great at manual goalie separates the Men from the Boys, and is a dimension of the game necessary for serious competition.

If you play for fun (we call them "exis") you can do whatever you agree on. If you are in a League, no, you will never find auto goalie.

Welcome!

NHL 94 is my favourite sports game of all time!

Looking forward to playing (once I figure out how!)

Welcome,

For the first step we need to play an exhibition game, I can help you on AIM (Pearate). I'm in France so if you prefer to try with someone in America, your online experience would be better. Anyway, I can help you to find a way to play on your Mac, try this : How to play on a Mac vs a PC

I don't really know if it works for the Genesis emulator, but it works for SNES.

I invite you too to play in my New League

You will see soon that the level is High in here. At the time I enter in my first Classic League with San Jose, with the certitude I can won the Cup... I let you imagine the rest :)

And yes, you need to learn to use the goalie manually, Auto goalie = Automatic goal :)

See ya.

If you need me, contact me on AIM (Pearate)

Welcome to the community! I will also do my best to help make your transition to online play successful. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to get started, but once you are set up, it's takes 2 minutes to get online and play.

If you've never messed with emulators before, you can use this video to help:

Catch you around bud!

Note about manual goalies:

You don't have to control the goalie when using the manual goalie setting. It just means you are able to take manual control of him if you want to.

To take control of the goalie, hold down the "B" button for 0.375 seconds.

You will quickly learn that manual goalie is a necessity in certain situations -- in particular on breakaways where some guys can score ~80+% of the time on the AI goalie (you can bring that down to 50/50 by blocking left or right, or doing a diving pokecheck), or against opponents who like to use the "walk across" or "crease cut" move where they just skate across the top of the crease and the goalie flops to the ice and leaves the net wide open (you can become the goalie and keep him between the player and the net).

Welcome to the community! I will also do my best to help make your transition to online play successful. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to get started, but once you are set up, it's takes 2 minutes to get online and play.

If you've never messed with emulators before, you can use this video to help:

Catch you around bud!

Raph this is an excellent resource.

Burntman, hit me up in the AIM chat. I will gladly work with you to get you up and running.

Welcome to the site bud! You'll find that the buds that posted previously in this thread are stellar and will help anyone at any time.

Thanks for the help and help offers so far everyone!

I'll take a look at some of the info and then if I get stuck will try some individual contacts.

Yeah...Manual goalie for sure sounds better for Player vs. Player (crease walk...ha!) I just don't remember doing it much. So I think I need to practice a bit.

And Keyboard over controller! Wow! I would have never thought that! My first few games on keyboard has left me "aching" for my old Genesis controller!

Looking forward to it! Btw I tried out the modified ROM with 2015 lines. Ha! So awesome. And being a guy with low level programming / FW experience, reading about the ROM editing (like just editing the HEX file) was also awesome! Obviously as well some have gotten the dis-assembly and even modified the code (Checking Hack / Fix!) Wow!

I think my next step is Controller Buy and Looking into the play on MAC options. So I may be "dark" for awhile, but then hopefully (soon) will be ready for a test game!

Hey Guys

I'll post a new Topic in the MAC users forum, but it seems like I got GENS running using WineBottler (I used successfully some time ago).

Should work with Hamachi for MAC...but to be proven.

Like someone else mentioned (I think I saw it somewhere)...the graphics only seem to work well in Full Screen...otherwise side by side. Not sure if that is GENS or my "GensBottled".app (i.e. due to the "bottling").

But seems ok in full screen mode.

Looking forward to it! Btw I tried out the modified ROM with 2015 lines. Ha! So awesome. And being a guy with low level programming / FW experience, reading about the ROM editing (like just editing the HEX file) was also awesome! Obviously as well some have gotten the dis-assembly and even modified the code (Checking Hack / Fix!) Wow!

Great to have another programmer here!

We don't really have a disassembly, although https://www.hex-rays.com/products/ida/can be used to do it.

When I hack the game, I use code traces generated by an emulator with debugger features. Here is the tutorial for how that works/looks: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/3474-reference-nhl-94-rom-hacking-school/?p=94927

It spits out 100s of thousands of lines like this

01:5DFA 53 78 SUBQ.W #1,($C468) A0=FFFFBDEC A1=FFFFCA32 A2=FFFFC6CE A3=FFFFB74A A4=FFFFB892 A5=FFFFB8B4 A6=FFFFC060 A7=FFFFFF62 D0=FFFF0100 D1=00000122 D2=00000000 D3=00000183 D4=00000006 D5=0000000C D6=0000000A D7=00000001 XNZvC

which you then cross-reference with a log of reads/writes of specified RAM or ROM addresses...

Great to have another programmer here!

We don't really have a disassembly, although https://www.hex-rays.com/products/ida/can be used to do it.

When I hack the game, I use code traces generated by an emulator with debugger features. Here is the tutorial for how that works/looks: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/3474-reference-nhl-94-rom-hacking-school/?p=94927

It spits out 100s of thousands of lines like this

01:5DFA 53 78 SUBQ.W #1,($C468) A0=FFFFBDEC A1=FFFFCA32 A2=FFFFC6CE A3=FFFFB74A A4=FFFFB892 A5=FFFFB8B4 A6=FFFFC060 A7=FFFFFF62 D0=FFFF0100 D1=00000122 D2=00000000 D3=00000183 D4=00000006 D5=0000000C D6=0000000A D7=00000001 XNZvC

which you then cross-reference with a log of reads/writes of specified RAM or ROM addresses...

I think my brain is bleeding

I think my brain is bleeding

It sounds intimidating, but I think the tutorial gives a very nice and easy-to-follow step-by-step introduction.

Baking a cake from scratch seems hard, but if you follow the instructions step by step... :)