NHL'94 Forums

Legendary Gamer Brings His Massive Self Made NHL Game Library and Experience/Knowledge for all!

Hey all NHL94 fans and all oldschool hockey fans! My name is Tyson, I've never been into a lot of forums but I have got in and out of NHL game modding for the games for years! I was a hockey player from a massive hockey family in Michigan right across the river from Ontario, born in 1987. I grew up with it being all around me, having friends and family play and getting to meet pro players my whole life at different times, even just in the local arena during the Silver Sticks tournaments. Out of the 8 and 5 kids my grandparents had, so 11 blood related aunts and uncles, out of those other 11 families and ours there have been so many hockey players its not even funny! The only person I never met out of probably 100 blood relatives, was my uncle Paul. Im 29 now and my whole life they have given out the MVP for the Silver Sticks, the tournament so many former pros and kids of former pros played in at a teen age before going into the bigger leagues. Going out there with my family in front of a few thousand people to give the award every year is amazing. Let me tell you I have a ridiculous memory due to not being a drinker I suppose, and my first hockey memory was from the age of only 6 when I saw my childhood hero Wayne Gretzky do a 360 spin and score and end up with a hat trick against the hated in Michigan team the Maple Leafs. Ive had my own moments that Ill never forget as well in hockey though, and I share these things because I want people to understand this isn't just a game to me. No matter how many graphical enhancements and things they make to games, I will always put my heart and soul into every second of oldschool NHL gaming. I was 10 years old and did a spinorama just like Wayne, I was almost blacked out I didn't even realize I had done it successfully until I looked up and I scored with 1.2 seconds left to tie a game and get my team the point we needed to finish 3rd place for a good seed in the league playoff. I got to be on the local news and in the paper and radio and stuff just for that goal, and I've never experienced anything else like that other than that one moment in my life! Thanks to hockey that honestly was the first time I ever had any confidence, and after that moment it just propelled me through the years of child abuse and bullying and everything else I went through in my youth. I learned how to stand up for myself and others, and I feel like that is one of the most under appreciated benefits of youth sports. Anyway, I won't go on forever haha, I just wanted to share a few of my youngest hockey memories. Of course it was all at a peak then, I was 10 also when the Wings won that first of the back to backs so hockey was life then! On top of all that, I probably had every hockey game ever made for a Sega system. I still do as well, and I just wanted to make a official complete list of the games I consider to be a part of the "true" legacy. Non sega genesis, the first PC games of NHL Hockey 94 and 95,, the Sega Game Gear NHL Hockey that to me is the most underrated game that EA sports made then, the Sega CD version of NHL 94, and nhl 92-98 for Genesis. I would love to learn how to edit the Game Gear version, if you played those 8 bit games, back then this game was absolutely insane for a handheld. Game Gear and Sega in general were so far ahead of their time and Nintendo with sports games, believe me the NHL 95 they tried for game boy was horrible, and the sound for that makes the Game Gear sound like heaven lol. It also was the first true "rom hack" in a way, and let me explain why. NHL Hockey for Game Gear had 94 gameplay, slower and more reliant on momentum with changing direction like 92-94 were, but it had the 95 rosters of course! It has a split of the 95 and 94 menus also, like the 94 start menu that says NHL HOCKEY, the pause menu with the zamboni, the in game boxes when you score or get a penalty, etc. Then it has the 95 colors with the blue background for the game/team select and the pregame and edit lines menu. Its just such a beautifully put together game for it being on a 8 bit system, I know its not as good as consoles but still this is the best portable one to lay in bed and play every night. It uses the password system too, which actually in 2016 is a HUGE advantage because not everyone knows how to repair cartridge batteries! I do and I've still burnt myself a little doing it in the past lol. Normally 92 is the only one of the series with the passwords, 93 doesn't have those OR the battery so you gotta keep it on a long time and play all day to do a real best of 7. I've had a GG with a plug in rechargeable battery for years and Ive played it all over the world, and I just wondered if anyone else who really is into the core games enjoyed the GG one as much as I have. Remember we had no roms or anything back in the day, when this came out it was so ahead of its time lol, it would be pretty amazing if there was a way to edit it! Just thought I'd share a little, I have a lot of roms that I've worked on over the years I would love to share sometime! Happy NHLing!

Edited by NotJustGamesThisIsMyLife

:D Welcome, nice story :)

Hm I don't recall anyone doing anything with the game gear game here, but maybe someone else remembers?

Super curious about the ROMs you've worked on!

Doing a move in hockey that you saw a pro do is always awesome. I've done a couple in the past few years since I started playing not-goalie in beer leagues :). My only deke I can do on defenders is one I saw in a Wayne Gretzky video... from when he was 10

Haha.

Hard to read all the text...

I didn't even know that there was a Game Gear rom.

Just tested . Not so bad. You need to have good eyes to play. I don't thing there is an interest to edit this rom.

I tested All Stars Hockey too. It's a plagia from the EA game. Impossible to play.

Anyway, we are waiting to see your roms.

Hi there, ok so I am not perfect at modding but I have a lot of roms that are kind of just for fun, like I edited 92-98 to make the goalies very weak. Instead of the no goalies, they just let in a lot more goals, depending on the settings. If you're like me and like to pick a team and get all the awards and stuff, get all your guys on top of the league leaders, etc... its fun playing quick games for 7 game playoffs or season mode in the later games with this setting. I just wondered if anyone had interest in something like that. I just recently got into modding again so I feel like I want to put something good online, not just some random mods I made for fun lol. Also, by the way, how do I add them? I havent tried yet, theyre all .smd or .bin files. So this was the idea I came up with, the 92 game, or NHL Hockey, seems to be really popular now and that season has very unique rosters compared to later games. So I have tried to mod a game for NHL 95 with those teams, which works fine for playoff modes, but during the season mode basically you have those other teams with no use. So my idea was to have the 5 newer teams that dont have real players in NHL Hockey be like all star teams. I made them Underdogs west and east, super team west and east, and franchise legends. The only things I havent really bothered to learn to do are things like the team ratings and changing the logos and stuff. Im sure its not too difficult, ive just always made my games for fun and never bothered to do anything fancy like I see on a lot of roms.

Also, the game I'm starting for each game is going to be a best of 16 bit era teams. Meaning the 7 games NHL Hockey through 98, taking the best version of each team with a few duplicates of legendary teams with more than one unique roster in that era. Like the Rangers in 96-97 and in 93-94, or Colorado in 95-96 and that start and future-star stacked Quebec team from 92-93. Teams in that era that weren't in all the games I may omit to have more duplicates like that. Does that sound like something anyone would be interested in? I plan on making the game and copying the rosters and everything over from every game, 92-98. Maybe having multiple versions for people who like specific teams and want a few choices! Anyway, id love to learn how to do some things to make the roms even better so I can make them for people as I have a lot of free time right now to make them. Give me some teams you want to see in there!

Gonna have to ask you to please shorten your interests, since it makes your last post 4 times longer than it should have been.

Sorry about that, I didnt realize it would show on the side like that, changed it. I've had one too many head injuries in my day, wish I was joking haha, but I end up rambling too much now and typing way too much to describe and analyze things, etc. Ill try and keep them shorter.

Edited by NotJustGamesThisIsMyLife

Hi there, ok so I am not perfect at modding but I have a lot of roms that are kind of just for fun, like I edited 92-98 to make the goalies very weak. Instead of the no goalies, they just let in a lot more goals, depending on the settings. If you're like me and like to pick a team and get all the awards and stuff, get all your guys on top of the league leaders, etc... its fun playing quick games for 7 game playoffs or season mode in the later games with this setting. I just wondered if anyone had interest in something like that. I just recently got into modding again so I feel like I want to put something good online, not just some random mods I made for fun lol. Also, by the way, how do I add them? I havent tried yet, theyre all .smd or .bin files. So this was the idea I came up with, the 92 game, or NHL Hockey, seems to be really popular now and that season has very unique rosters compared to later games. So I have tried to mod a game for NHL 95 with those teams, which works fine for playoff modes, but during the season mode basically you have those other teams with no use. So my idea was to have the 5 newer teams that dont have real players in NHL Hockey be like all star teams. I made them Underdogs west and east, super team west and east, and franchise legends. The only things I havent really bothered to learn to do are things like the team ratings and changing the logos and stuff. Im sure its not too difficult, ive just always made my games for fun and never bothered to do anything fancy like I see on a lot of roms.

So if I'm reading that right, NHL95 with NHL92 rosters and some All Star/Underdogs/Legends teams? Sounds cool, there are some NHL95 fans on here (mostly 94 fans, though, obviously)

You can add ROMs to your posts like this: Under the text area where you are writing, there is a "More Reply Options" button. Click that, and then on the next page there is an "Attach Files" section with a button labelled "Choose Files...", just use that and voila, ROM posted. You can post ROMs in the Downloads area of the forum: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/forum/171-genesis-roms/

PS, really gotta add some some line breaks / paragraphs to make your posts easier to read... wall-of-text posts are hard to read :)