NHL'94 Forums

controller set up

Patrick

Hello gentlemen,

I have dusted off the old logitech dual action controller for some good ol NHL 93 edited goodness.

But I can't for the life of me get the controller set up to play. Any tips are greatly appreciated.!

Im on a dell running windows 7. Hold your laughter.

Does Windows recognise the controller? If you go to 'Devices and Printers', is it there?

If it doesn't, try another USB port - or it may be a driver issue.

If it does, right-click on it and select 'Game Controller Settings', where you can test all of the inputs.

In GENS, you sometimes have to use the analog sticks for directional input vs. the d-pad which will often not give you diagonal movement.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jer_33

Yeah, it always starts with windows recognizing the joystick.

IF your computer doesn't recognize it, GENS won't.

Sometimes, with analog joysticks, the D PAD or the analog won't work, but ONE of the two always works, and the BUTTONS (a,b,c, etc) always work regardless. If you aren't getting at least that, then 100% your CPU is not recognizing the controller.

There exists software to help use joysticks, motionjoy & such. Be careful to read up on what/where you are installing/downloading, as some can carry a virus.

For me, I found it easiest to just go basic with a SNES Buffalo joystick knockoff. It's cheap, durable, d pad tight, and works GENS & SNES without issues. I bought mine on Amazon for like $10.

• Like 1

Also note:

GENS Emulator plays ALL of the old genesis games, not just NHL94. You just need the ROM to do so.

So, there are emulator web sites, and GENS websites, and all kind of sites for guys trying to play Sonic and other games. I don't recall where exactly, but I do recall my search for joystick help landing me on some of the more "nerdy" of those sites where I'd find good information on software to use a joystick and what options do/don't work with GENS.