NHL'94 Forums

[Aug 12-13, 2017 - Long Island, NY] - Long Island Retro Gaming Expo

I just got home, tired and hungry, but wanted to give a quick shout out to the champ TexasPachyderm, the almighty Smozoma, Lupz (and Lupz jr., who took me 2-0 in exis ;)) , and OrangeBlack92 for coming out to play and representing the '94 community so well.

And of course Evan, Egg, and Chaos... tournament ran smooth because of everyone's effort, these guys/gal are great buds!

Loved hanging with you all, and meeting some folks for the first time.  Goes by in a blur!

Anyway, a more detailed post and thoughts after I recover, but overall it was a blast.  

Indeed on Raph's post. Full day and was a blur for sure. Here are some more pics, will hopefully give a more detailed write up soon.

-Evan

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

Heh, I need to learn how to smile in pics.  But yes, thank you very much Raph, Evan, Egg, and Chaos, impressive how well that ran.  And to Smozoma, those last 3 games were def the most fun ones I played all day.

Edited by corbettkb
  • Thanks 1

Congrats tex!  I watched the replay as I missed the final. Ggs. Raph built an awesome screen for the stream. Loved what you guys did!

Here's my thoughts and notes on yesterday's tournament.

First of all, we have an amazing admin group with Egg, Chaos and Raph.  We were ready for anything, and we had to be!

1) When we first get there, we see that we're not in a "room" as advertised, but instead we have a space between fighter jets that is very long and narrow.  The whole afternoon we're ducking and squeezing under missiles and wings to keep things going.

- Amount of table space was tight, but one of the expo guys let us setup another table to spread out more.  Even with that extra table, things were still tight.

- Raph brought a projector to display info for everyone but we had no good place to project to.  You'll see in one of my pics above that the best place was where you see it.

2) The wi-fi was constantly coming and going so most of us turned off wi-fi on our devices since it drains the battery.

3) The expo had a station for tournament signups, and after we requested to max out at 32 they kept going.  People were coming over requesting to sign up close to our start time, 2pm.  At one point we had over 40 signups, and ended up with 38 people (I think?) in the tournament.

4) We had laynards/name tags everyone wore that was very helpful.  They included a number we assigned players and their name/handle.

5) The start of the tournament was a 3-game round robin.  We split up players into 9 groups of 4 (though that only equals 36?) and things were hectic in the beginning because we didn't get to explain rules formally.  Since there were a few of us bouncing around, we were able to explain/help as needed and things got rolling.

6) A HUGE help to keeping scores were printed out score cards Raph made.  At the end of a game, the players would fill it out, and hand it to one of us to enter.

7) After the round robin, we setup an 18-team challonge single elimination bracket.  Though we only used this for the first "3" rounds (round 1 was 2 games for the 4 bottom seeds), as the semi-finals and finals were best of 3.  We weren't sure if you could change the format per round in challonge, so we just kept score on paper the last 2 rounds.  I was entering challonge scores on my phone at first (which was brutal) but then Chaos got it going on his laptop.

8) Once we got to the semi's we were down to 4 players and things settled down.  Smoz/Lupz and TexasPach/EyeTwitch (non-forum guy) were the final 4.

9) Smoz/TexasPach made it to the finals, with TexasPach taking it in the full 3 games.  Again, congrats to TexasPach on a solid performance!  All of this can be seen on the http://twitch.tv/kingraph page.

10) After the tournament, we got to squeeze in 1 4-way game.  Raph/Chaos vs TexasPach/myself using the original game (5 skaters a side).  We ended up going into OT 2-2, and Raph/Chaos scored with 11 seconds left in the 10min OT.  When does that happen?  Good times!

As always, these things are fun but move quick and is kind of a blur.  We started a little after 2pm and think we ended a little around 6pm?

We should DEFINITELY do more of the twitch stream to record games and player reactions.  Great setup.

So while we were prepared, you never know what's going to happen and have to be adaptive at tournaments.  We ended up using pen and paper for a lot of the score keeping.  But looking back on it, things went great, people had a good time, and was certainly a successful tournament.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

-Evan

16 hours ago, CoachMac said:

Good Set-up!

Congrats to Tex and Smoz on a great Final.

And to the Champ Tex, though I have to say the Cup celebration was a little mellow.:big_smile:

These two guys are as mellow as they come! 

13 hours ago, IceStorm70 said:

Congrats Tex! 

BTW who was repping the Bruce Smith jersey????

We were right next to the Tecmo tournament, and a few of those guys participated as well. 

Lots of great non-forum players were at the Expo, really giving everyone a run for the money.  As Evan mentioned, we had 36 (9 groups of 4), and there were about 6 guys who went 3-0 in their brackets (my info is still packed up, I will get the link to a semi-accurate goolge doc and challonge site likely later in the week).  Texas actually went 2-1 in his bracket, so one of the 3-0 guys, crazygoalie33, played him in the opening (or 2nd) round of the bracket and lost.  Tough draw. 

I think Evan summed up our experience well, I definitely learned a lot of things from administering this tourney, and while it went pretty damn smoothly, we can always improve! 

Next east coast tourney will be on October 14th, at the World Retro Expo in Connecticut.   More information/promotion to come soon.

Finally, here's a video of the finals.

Had a great time, it was well organized, and the jets were cool if a little dangerous to the cranium :) (a bunch of my friends are aerospace engineers, and I used to test aerospace software).

Congrats to Tex on the win, he played great. I was able to grind out a win in the first finals game in OT (Mario with a sneaky short side goal), but I couldn't keep up after that.

Honestly everyone I played was pretty good. The single elimination is pretty nerve wracking but fun. 

Wish I'd had the chance to hang out more. I think we'll have more spare time in Vegas.

Might post more later. Heading out to explore NYC.

6 hours ago, Evan said:

7) After the round robin, we setup an 18-team challonge single elimination bracket.  Though we only used this for the first "3" rounds (round 1 was 2 games for the 4 bottom seeds), as the semi-finals and finals were best of 3.  We weren't sure if you could change the format per round in challonge, so we just kept score on paper the last 2 rounds.  I was entering challonge scores on my phone at first (which was brutal) but then Chaos got it going on his laptop.

I figured out you can add games to each series. It's pretty simple, when you go to input the score, you can click on add set. So all scores for the semis and finals were saved in the bracket.

Everything went pretty smoothly, there's always confusion right in the beginning as to how to choose teams, etc. The matchup cards helped a lot; I saw a lot of people using them. I think STL-PIT was the matchup I saw the most haha. Having the numbers on the name tags was very useful, as we could just go by numbers instead of yelling out names.

Tecmo only had 18 or 19 I think. We had 41 signups. I was impressed. LI Retro guys to an incredible job running this expo, props to them.

• Like 1

Awesome day, was great meeting some of the buds from the community, I showed up late, but Raph pulled some strings to get me in ;) Like everyone said it went by in a blur, and I wish I didn't have to rush out afterwards, after showing up late, it's absolutely amazing how great everyone there is, this community might be small, but the guys I met yesterday are grade A class acts.

Love the picture of Lupz JR giving Raph a beat down :) Great pic Evan.

• Like 1

Can somebody give me the set-up for the TWITCH stream? I'm assuming the game was captured to a PC/laptop and output on a standard def VGA screen? How good is/was the camera that captures the players?

1 hour ago, jer_33 said:

Can somebody give me the set-up for the TWITCH stream? I'm assuming the game was captured to a PC/laptop and output on a standard def VGA screen? How good is/was the camera that captures the players?

The Genesis output was put into a powered a/v splitter (I had this RadioShack 1500320 1 to 4 splitter handy)- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z1SO9O/

The Genesis was a Model 1 (one of the coveted earlier models that boots straight to the game) modded to have s-video output.  You can find information on the net on how to do that, but 100% credit goes to @chaos for doing this mod for me.  Amazing job, truly awesome.  The s-video makes the picture better, but not totally necessary to do this step.  It helps if your friend is an electrical engineer who happens to live 10 minutes away from you. ;)

From there, we had an output went to the TV, the other to my laptop via a capture device (all s-video).  The capture device I used was the I-o GVUSB2 : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00428BF1Y/

Note, the entire instructions are in Japanese, so perhaps a different A/V capture device would be better.

The webcam I used was the Logitech C920: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00428BF1Y/

I also had a separate USB microphone (Blue Snowball iCE): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014PYGTUQ/

The software used was OBS Studio - https://obsproject.com/

You can find LOTS of information on how to use that software and how it links to Twitch.  The graphics I used to create the layout were all from '94, and took about 3-4 hours, which includes my time ripping the graphics from the game (happy to share), to create that particular layout. 

I'd like to thank @King of 94' WI (Troy Gblan) and @smozoma for the recommendations and information on the setup.  I may have used slightly different equipment, but the framework was laid out to me from those guys.  100% credit to them!

PM me if you want to get into any more detail on the setup, but I thought this was useful to post for anyone else looking to mimic what we did at the tourney.

• Thanks 1

PHI-NYR was an interesting choice in the Finals.. and the Eklund injury early in the game must've been a real heart-breaker.

Something to be said for picking teams with very little depth.

• kingraph unpinned this topic
  • 9 months later...
On 8/14/2017 at 11:31 AM, jer_33 said:

PHI-NYR was an interesting choice in the Finals.. and the Eklund injury early in the game must've been a real heart-breaker.

Something to be said for picking teams with very little depth.

Eklund and Recchi were a couple of my early GDL favourites. Unfortunately I didn't count on what a difference-maker Gartner can be when used well. Whoops! Tex was better regardless. (and now that I've watched it again, looks like Tikkanen did enough damage on his own!)

@kingraph I notice that the stream from last time is gone from Twitch... There's an option somewhere for forcing it to archive the video (and you need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save, which I didn't do when I streamed in Saskatoon, whoops)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smozoma said:

Eklund and Recchi were a couple of my early GDL favourites. Unfortunately I didn't count on what a difference-maker Gartner can be when used well. Whoops! Tex was better regardless. (and now that I've watched it again, looks like Tikkanen did enough damage on his own!)

@kingraph I notice that the stream from last time is gone from Twitch... There's an option somewhere for forcing it to archive the video (and you need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save, which I didn't do when I streamed in Saskatoon, whoops)

I have everything saved on my hard drive if you wanted to see something specific, just PM me and I'll throw it on YouTube.  I just put the finals on there.

I don't think it lasts forever on Twitch?  It's either 14 days or 60 days depending on your Twitch level.  Best to save to hard drive and upload to YouTube.

12 minutes ago, kingraph said:

I have everything saved on my hard drive if you wanted to see something specific, just PM me and I'll throw it on YouTube.  I just put the finals on there.

I don't think it lasts forever on Twitch?  It's either 14 days or 60 days depending on your Twitch level.  Best to save to hard drive and upload to YouTube.

Ah, ok, I thought archiving made them permanent, but you're right, it just keeps them for a few weeks. I think if you "highlight" the whole video it might keep it permanently?

I thought we'd lost the Vegas videos so I've been trying to push for making sure we keep all our videos and make them accessible.

• 2 months later...