NHL'94 Forums

How to Draft for a Weight Bug Fixed League?

aqualizard

I have never played with the Classic 94 roster in a weight bug fixed (WBF) leagued?  How do things change, as far as drafting is concerned?

Before you tell me, if there is a link to drafts in the past, that is the most useful info.  Blitz was before my time here, but did it use the classic roster?  If yes, can I see how the drafts went, like exists in that GDL Google Sheet with Average Draft Position?

I am sure JR is going to take a huge hit?  Who goes first in a WBF league?  (Bourque?  J/K, but I bet he goes pretty high.)

Also, as I understand it, WBF means no CB checks.  Does this mean that glitch has been removed? Is this removal the same thing that makes it WBF?  Or will CB still" work" in some instances, or is it completely useless?

On 1/27/2017 at 5:06 PM, aqualizard said:

I have never played with the Classic 94 roster in a weight bug fixed (WBF) leagued?  How do things change, as far as drafting is concerned?

Before you tell me, if there is a link to drafts in the past, that is the most useful info.  Blitz was before my time here, but did it use the classic roster?  If yes, can I see how the drafts went, like exists in that GDL Google Sheet with Average Draft Position?

I am sure JR is going to take a huge hit?  Who goes first in a WBF league?  (Bourque?  J/K, but I bet he goes pretty high.)

Also, as I understand it, WBF means no CB checks.  Does this mean that glitch has been removed? Is this removal the same thing that makes it WBF?  Or will CB still" work" in some instances, or is it completely useless?

WBfix is just classic with a reverse checking. It takes -2 weight player to manual check a player, so with wbfix it's +2 weight that is taken to do the check. Blitz also has a checking attribute equation taken in to consideration that gives amplification to the true checking ability. Let's say that Chelios with 7 weight would check players of 5 weight and less with wbfix, with checking attribute 6 taken in to consideration, his checking ability goes up to 8.6.

CBfix to wbfix means that Roenick and guys can't use CB to take down heavier guys like Bourque.

The heavy stickhandlers (5+) become very strong players. Look at the draft links and drafted players. Check the "Chk Ability" how heavy players the players are able to check. 10+ will basically give you protection from all skilled forwards and against the few rest you can use b-check (Lindros, Andreychuk, Otto etc). Even 7-9+ is sufficient if the main threats Hull, Coffey, Messier, Jagr, Lemieux, Bourque (resistant to b-check and high checking resistance in 9+) fall to B level guys (at least this is what I think, if any falls to an A guy, then I want to have checking ability of 9+ or 10+ to take them down). This is what I summarize from the experience I had with Blitz for 3 seasons.

Blitz also was a keeper, so there was a possibility hold on to players don't get confused with it, the value is still around right in the following draft links.

Blitz 11: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x0lPq1Un8oJW64n_f7lCHyxsbmtHx1fr966p1wlVCJE/pubhtml#

Blitz 10: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ry1KjqZQI_abJvg5o74qydTJOHalXKY7KRNLbI5qvOo/pubhtml#

Blitz 9: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16261-blitz-09-draft-round-1-première-ronde/

Edited by Depch

In Classic, when you go to C check an opponent, there is an equation used to determine if it is successful.  Additional things like speed, stick handling, angle & position (and crowd effect/momentum sometimes) can add extra variables that can make a check successful or unsuccessful.

The rules for if a check is successful are NOT the same if the CPU controlled player is checking you.  The weight big only exists when under human control.

So if you are using someone who is weight 4, they will successfully C check anyone weight 6 and up more times than not.  

If you are using someone weight 10, and send them lunging at an opponent who is weight 8 and below, and then switch off right before he reaches his opponent, the rules to determine if the check is successful SWITCH to CPU controlled check, and the heavy player will be successful more times than not.

Also note, if you are about to C check someone with JR, who is real low weight, & accidentally switch off of him, the CPU checking rules take over for that check & he will likely bounce off of instead of checking your opponent.

Its called CB because you hit C to send your guy lunging & then B to switch off the player to activate the lunging CB (or computer controlled check).

Now in Blitz, the weight bug is fixed so heavy is good in all C checks.  The CHECK rating is added into the equation as well, making a high check rating player check like a slightly heavier player & a low CHECK rating player will C check like a slightly lighter player will.

CHECK rating only helps you check better but taking a C check goes strictly off your weight.  So, good luck trying to C check Lindros.

This rule change DOES open up the same loophole of C/b.  In the original Blitz Rom, you could then use light players & C/b to check heavy players that were now immune to C checks from light players.

Given that Blitz rom was partially created to fix "BUGS" in the code, Smoz, the Blitz creator, then coded a FIX to C/b.

So now, in any ROM, weight bug fix or Classic, there is an option to remove the C/b checking loophole.

In this DRAFT, we will be using Blitz mechanics WITH C/b disabled.  So, light players will not be able to C check or C/b check heavy players.

I will try to find some links, but basically, Lindros draft stock goes through the ROOF!!!  Ray Bourque does not go high Rd 1, as forwards are still more valuable, but sometimes guys get froggy for a player.  It's been so long since a Bkitz draft that I don't think ADP will be as relevant .  I think guys will pick what they want to use.

PLEASE NOTE: B check still works just as good as before & without C/b, stick handling to counter act this should also go up in draft value, not just heavier players.

I might have to work out some "Ranking" with Raph & co to help out cause Blitz did not draft Rd 1 every year but every other year cause it was a slightly complicated keeper league.

But Mario is probably highest rated player, followed by Mogs.  Lindros is top 10, & heavily debated if he's #3 or #10.

if we use the all time pool, draft rankings would no longer be relevant in any case.

I'm also going to likely make a video tonight or tomorrow night to go through league rules & options.  Your post got me thinking & I've come up with final rules that I will use.

Should be fun.  I might even toss in a C/b demonstration for entertainment if I get drunk enough.

27 minutes ago, Depch said:

Blitz also was a keeper, so there was a possibility hold on to players don't get confused with it, the value is still around right in the following draft links.

Blitz 11: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x0lPq1Un8oJW64n_f7lCHyxsbmtHx1fr966p1wlVCJE/pubhtml#

Blitz 10: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ry1KjqZQI_abJvg5o74qydTJOHalXKY7KRNLbI5qvOo/pubhtml#

Blitz 9: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16261-blitz-09-draft-round-1-première-ronde/

Interesting.  Big jumps for:

Forwards
Lemieux
Neely
Lindros
Turgeon

D-Men
Zalapski
Bourque

1 minute ago, Brutus said:

I'm also going to likely make a video tonight or tomorrow night to go through league rules & options.  

Do you have enough beers on hand to fuel a video?  If not please reconsider this endeavor until you have filled your fridge. ;)

3 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Aqua approach this draft as you would the VHL draft, it's almost the same exact thing minus the player pool, it's on you to study the player pool and their attributes to draft a team you think will work for your style of play in this sort of league, so you already know how the rom plays with the WBF and Check rating included in checking success now just find the players you like in the original rom for a VHL league.

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Aqua approach this draft as you would the VHL draft, it's almost the same exact thing minus the player pool, it's on you to study the player pool and their attributes to draft a team you think will work for your style of play in this sort of league, so you already know how the rom plays with the WBF and Check rating included in checking success now just find the players you like in the original rom for a VHL league.

Well, I think I kinda sucked in the VHL draft.  The first one I did, I ended up playing guys I drafted late more than my early picks, and the 2nd draft I was out of town, so Skip did it for me.  Also, Skip's ROM is kinda star studded, so there is not the same sort of variance as thr Classic ROM. (We kinda all winded up with All-Star teams.)

But still, thanks for the advice.  I do hope that Brutus is able to make a Google Sheet that has the Total Adjusted Check Rating info (Check rating and weight combined in some weird formula), like Skip had. (I think it didn't show up for VHL 1, but did after.)

With the links Depch proved, the info Brutus provided, and hopefully with some sort of Total Adjusted Check Rating in the spreadsheet, I shuld be able to un-knot my panties. :)

You are playing against a team that has an offence of Tikkanen-Lemieux-Broten.

Tikkanen has a checking resistance of 9, Lemieux has a checking resistance of 10 and Broten has a checking resistance of 4. As you figured out, the checking resistance = weight.

Additionally Lemieux also has 6 stickhandling, so he is immune to b-checks most of the time.

If you do not have anyone who has a checking ability over 10, you are in deep trouble. Your options of getting Lemieux down then is trying to b-check him multiple times and hope he falls or tie him up and hope he loses the puck.

Tikkanen & Broten you can just b-check even with a low weight team. Same applies to Neely, Lindros etc. You're gonna have hard time using c-check on Lindros, but you can b-check him with anyone.

High weight stickhandlers are boss and pain to play against if you don't have heavy defence. These are Lemieux, Jagr, Messier, Hull and Coffey & Bourque from D. They raise their value more than GDL drafts as do 10+ D checkers.

Majority of the skilled guys on offence are 7 weight and below, some stand at 9 and a lot less 10 and over. Think of the other teams and what your opponents have. If you think the pain to play against guys are on weaker players you can pick lower weight defence with checking ability 7+, gives a lot more options.

Shiftyness on offence is still important, you cannot just think of it from a defensive aspect or it will cost you some offence against better players. But this is everyones own decision.

The excel file Coach provided is of great help and checking ability can be found also there.

Edited by Depch

Online version of the spreadsheet.  "Check effect" is the checking ability factoring in weight+checking skill.

http://www.blitz94.com/draftab/viewplayers.asp

Use the wacky table at the top to create your own custom Overall rating.

41 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Well, I think I kinda sucked in the VHL draft.  The first one I did, I ended up playing guys I drafted late more than my early picks, and the 2nd draft I was out of town, so Skip did it for me.  Also, Skip's ROM is kinda star studded, so there is not the same sort of variance as thr Classic ROM. (We kinda all winded up with All-Star teams.)

But still, thanks for the advice.  I do hope that Brutus is able to make a Google Sheet that has the Total Adjusted Check Rating info (Check rating and weight combined in some weird formula), like Skip had. (I think it didn't show up for VHL 1, but did after.)

With the links Depch proved, the info Brutus provided, and hopefully with some sort of Total Adjusted Check Rating in the spreadsheet, I shuld be able to un-knot my panties. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x0lPq1Un8oJW64n_f7lCHyxsbmtHx1fr966p1wlVCJE/pubhtml#

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ry1KjqZQI_abJvg5o74qydTJOHalXKY7KRNLbI5qvOo/pubhtml#

Thats the link to the last 2 Blitz draft google doc spreadsheets, it does include Total adjusted check rating for every player.

I did some checkup on the Blitz provided draft list and used the custom filters to finetune them to my liking. This is the first draw of the weighing of players on, so it could change a bit, but it's going to be something like this. I separated the forwards and D-men to their own pages so you can change the view from bottom of the page. The D-men list pretty much applies for CB-checkers in GDL as well (purely from defensive aspect), but I would lessen the importance of weight there and improve the importance of checking skill. With CB if you have checking of 4+ the AI can check players with weight +/- 1 instead of 2 and sometimes even the same weight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K10W08Gogp5WYw2Yw1FqtpuqSEw8xQG5uq6has6M4oY/edit?usp=sharing

It's still not 100% that I go by the order of the list (I would take Lemieux before Mogilny for example), but it's a good indicator of the value of players to me.

Edited by Depch