NHL'94 Forums

Pre-screening newbies?

LTNINGFan

Being new, and seeing how things work with the various leagues and exi's, is there a screening process an established player must do with a new player before said new player jumps in a league? I'm not in a huge rush to get into the league play yet, as I want to do all the right things by learning all the procedures, rules, setups, etc that have been established here. I know I need a lot more solo practice anyway. 

(hopefully there was not a pinned post on something like this, if so, my apologies)

3 minutes ago, LTNINGFan said:

Being new, and seeing how things work with the various leagues and exi's, is there a screening process an established player must do with a new player before said new player jumps in a league? I'm not in a huge rush to get into the league play yet, as I want to do all the right things by learning all the procedures, rules, setups, etc that have been established here. I know I need a lot more solo practice anyway. 

(hopefully there was not a pinned post on something like this, if so, my apologies)

In previous years, they would RUN Classic during the Spring & during the Fall.  Most new players joined one of them, as it required no drafting, etc.  Just pick a team & play. 

As part of the sign up for either of these leagues there was a confirmation page where another veteran player would "verfiy" you by playing you online, establishing you then obviously have hamachi, downloaded & working emulator along with joystick figured out.

This spring, they are NOT running Classic.  If any NEW coaches wanted to jump into the fire of a given league, EACH league has it's own commissioner who is running the league and determines who is IN & who is OUT.   So, you'd reach out to one of them if you were ready/interested.

I'd start with doing some ONLINE exi's.  It's fun, it's easy, and we all did it and got killed.  It takes a few beatings to feel the rush and realize what you probably do better than you thought & what you did worse.

Best way to do that is to get added to either the GENS Group Chat or the SNES Group Chat for aim.  Create an online AIM account, download the ap and message any of us when ready.

35 minutes ago, LTNINGFan said:

I know I need a lot more solo practice anyway. 

Can't say I agree with this.

You should jump into online play.  Exis to start.  If you play solo 100 games versus against opponents 100 games, you will improve exponentially better against real opponents in the same amount of time.

Just jump in, amigo!  Download AIM and come on in!

Edited by aqualizard

48 minutes ago, Brutus said:

In previous years, they would RUN Classic during the Spring & during the Fall.  Most new players joined one of them, as it required no drafting, etc.  Just pick a team & play. 

As part of the sign up for either of these leagues there was a confirmation page where another veteran player would "verfiy" you by playing you online, establishing you then obviously have hamachi, downloaded & working emulator along with joystick figured out.

This spring, they are NOT running Classic.  If any NEW coaches wanted to jump into the fire of a given league, EACH league has it's own commissioner who is running the league and determines who is IN & who is OUT.   So, you'd reach out to one of them if you were ready/interested.

I'd start with doing some ONLINE exi's.  It's fun, it's easy, and we all did it and got killed.  It takes a few beatings to feel the rush and realize what you probably do better than you thought & what you did worse.

Best way to do that is to get added to either the GENS Group Chat or the SNES Group Chat for aim.  Create an online AIM account, download the ap and message any of us when ready.

Thanks Brutus. I had a feeling that the online exi's is what I would need to do, and that's cool. I totally expect to get annihilated, so that's fine :)

I did download Hamachi (waiting for for an email to confirm the attach client request), and I downloaded AIM again. I had used my screenname as my AIM since I had AOL back in 1997. Of course I couldn't remember my password and with no help from AOL as I had not used AIM in over 10 years or more, so I had to get a new screenname (LTNINGFan1), so at least I got those two things out of the way.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Can't say I agree with this.

You should jump into online play.  Exis to start.  If you play solo 100 games versus against opponents 100 games, you will improve exponentially better against real opponents in the same amount of time.

Just jump in, amigo!  Download AIM and come on in!

Aqua, you're right. Human players are the way to go over the CPU. I just have to get the feel of the movement of the players again. My fingers were way ahead of my head of thinking there ;)

LTNINGFan1 is my AIM. I hope I can get Hamachi set up.

I added you into the group chat for GENS Buds.  It's best way to find someone to exi and have someone walk you through the hamachi setup.  I don't think you need to wait for any email, so you are doing something wrong. 

I'm not going to be around to help out though, so hop online when you have time and have someone walk you through it.

ALSO, set your AIM to accept messages even when you aren't online, makes it easier to leave you a message.

13 hours ago, Brutus said:

I added you into the group chat for GENS Buds.  It's best way to find someone to exi and have someone walk you through the hamachi setup.  I don't think you need to wait for any email, so you are doing something wrong. 

I'm not going to be around to help out though, so hop online when you have time and have someone walk you through it.

ALSO, set your AIM to accept messages even when you aren't online, makes it easier to leave you a message.

Awesome, thanks Brutus.