NHL'94 Forums

Player / User card page for nhl94online.com

Depch

I have been suggesting a "user card" page for the nhl94online.com page a few times. Here is an example of what it could consist of. I decided to do this example as a review of myself.

I'm going to start with the competitions chronologically I have taken part of. It would be nice to be able to comment yourself on them how you had experienced a specific league. Maybe even be able to add a sum of how you had experienced a full year in gaming. There could also be option to write a bio, add a photo etc on top of the page. This is purely text based so obviously in the pages it could also include a more graphical version of it as well like trophies etc.

Leagues & Tournaments participated in chronological order:

2014:

Blitz 8: First round exit // round 1 Ice - Depch 4-0 // First NA league, did not participate in draft. Comeback after several years of absence to large NHL94 leagues. Had a very good offensive roster that I miserably failed with, also had to adapt to new physics and checking equation.

Gdl XI: Second round exit // round 2 Plabax - Depch 4-1, round 1 Depch - DaWookie 4-0 // First GDL league, did well in draft and had a team of Fedorov, Kamensky, Turcotte, Chelios, Chiasson, Burke. This season Plabax introduced us all to CB-checking. Plabax was on a strong team of Gretzky, Lemieux, Carson, Coffey, Murphy.

Blitz 9: First round exit // round 1 Plabax - Depch 4-2 // I was testing a G-D-D route in draft to see how effective the goalies can be in the game. I did poor drafting value wise, I could have gotten a better offence by trading picks but gameplay was good anyways and the team felt enjoyable to play with.

Classic 2014 Fall: Win // round 3: Depch - Brutus 4-1, round 2: Depch - Sicarius 4-1, round 1 Depch - Fitzo 4-2 // First balanced drafting in Classic league. League also included Seth with Washington & Raph with New Jersey but I did not have to meet them up in the playoffs.

Dream team tournament: Win // round 4: Depch - Kingraph 2-0, round 3: Depch - Labs 2-1, round 2: Kingraph - Depch 1-2, round 1: Depch - Donnybrook 2-0 - Total 8-2 // Fantasy tournament based on Blitz rules. Frey also took part to this tournament, but he was eliminated early on, this was a tournament of the underdogs. Perhaps the even rosters played a part on that?

The year 2014 brought some success and harsh facing to reality, that I had to improve a lot. I was mostly disappointed in my draft league performances. Plabax showed that there was still things to learn in NHL94 with bringing out CB-checking. I also had not been spoiled with the era of "buggers" so I was more than ready to go for the "new" direction NA hockey in drafts was to take.

2015:

Gdl XII: First round exit // round 1: Freydey - Depch 4-1 // Poor performance on my behalf, this league I was starting to adapt to do CB-checks. In the playoffs Freydey wiped me and I couldn't find an answer to his speed oriented simple offence and great manual goalie control.

Classic 2015 Spring: Loss in finals // round 3: Depch - Swos 1-4, round 2: Depch - Kingraph 4-1, round 1: AJ - Depch 3-4 // First round was played locally in Finland vs AJ on hotseat. Raph was struggling with Boston all season. I expected to win vs Swos as I felt I had the history over him in Classic in Finland, but he was mentally stronger this time. Second classic season in a row to be in the finals. Balanced team drafting in this classic league as well.

Blitz 10: First round exit // round 1: Zalex - Depch 4-1 // After having success in DTT I expected to do very well by drafting Hull, I tried to go on a first conservative draft in Blitz leagues and have success. Instead I got poor performance from myself and the team. I became to know to forfeit Blitz early on after finishing the season and was low on motivation after the failures I experienced in wbfixed leagues excluding the DTT. Woved to focus on classic physics only after this. Small players in Blitz were effective in this league as well if you knew to use it as shown by Plabax. The classic physics and Blitz style were coming closer together due to CB.

Gdl XIII: First round exit // round 1 Seth - Depch 4-0 // I thought I drafted a good team here with Oates-Larmer combination, but had a very poor regular season and was swept by Seth, I also did experience problems on my end when he used his old laptop, no problems with the new one and my unit has changed as well.

Classic 2015 Fall: Second round exit // round 2: Depch - Seth 2-4, round 1: Depch - Ice 4-1 // Huge disappointment in a loss to Seth after having a very strong regular season with Boston (30-10). Seth kept his focus and his intensity grew towards the end and took over my control of first 4 games. Beforehand I remember already thinking that I'd make it to Classic finals in 3 seasons a row, but that was evidently premature. Ice did not have a team to match up the Bruins, he was using Toronto. Classic got back to a random draft.

Disappointing year overall. My performance in draft leagues continued to be very poor to the standards that I had been used to in Finnish leagues. I had always perceived Swos as a bit of a rival in Finnish leagues, so I really did want that win in the classic, we had a lot of close matchups going both ways in the early 2000's. Year ended in an exhausting loss to Seth in Classic as well. Was planning to play on GDL14 but some necessary life changes took place and I was forced to take a break from gaming, I also had a very strong team in Velocity league that I had to drop out from.

2016:

Classic 2016 Fall: Second round exit // round 2: Kingraph - Depch 4-0, round 1: Depch - Tex 4-3 // First league after 10 months of absence and getting back in a better shape physically and mentally. Expected to fare very well with the fast team of Dallas. Tex offered a real challenge with Buffalo and almost provided an upset. Kingraph dominated this classic season with the heavy Rangers that was fitting to his style and I did not win him even in a single exi this season.

2017:

Plablegs: Second round exit  // round 2: Depch - Plabax 2-4, round 1: Depch - Zep 4-3 // Equilevant to GDL, a classic physics based draft league with modifications to reducing luck in play. In the playoffs Zep went on to take a 3-0 lead in our series and all I remembered during game 4 is that I had sworn to not lose 4-0 ever in playoffs again (after losing to KR last fall Classic). Good series on round 2 vs Plabax. Games vs him were much better this year than in 2014 when I met him twice.

Princes and Paupers: Finished fifth // 11-7 Record with classic Ottawa Senators   // A classic regular season of A & B players where A players chose to draft from the bottom 5 teams of Classic teams and B players drafted any top team of their choice. Hosted by nhl94rocks.com and an interesting take on how much effect the roster has when there is skill difference involved in play. As an aftermath in general I can write that A players won the battle vs B players.

Et tu, Brute league: Ongoing. // Current record 43-11 // Going to finish second in this regular season as well. Can be compared to Blitz. No classic season for this spring I decided to support the league Brutus kicked off.

[Blog]

This year Gens rerecording has helped me get my game more reactive due to latency compensation, you can find separate thread on where I have discussed this. I had my best regular season (22-4) in a high level draft league equilevant to GDL. I've become more efficient with pass shots, B-checks and goaltending now to a same level what it was in our Finnish league years early 2000. Years 2014-2016 I had experienced so much problems that I had actually stopped doing B-checks and to give perspective to this is that in our Finnish leagues I only used B-checks. I feel like I'm able to compete to my fullest now.

I know I have already changed my mediocre draft league results from 2014 and 2015 for the better. Series vs Plabax in plablegs was much better already than in previous years and I know I can come as a challenger to leagues now.

Currently ongoing league in Et tu, Brute has been exhausting as of late. The league is just killing any interest in playing the game with a few slackers on board. 90% of the league could have finished the season a week or few ago already, I have not played a league game for a while now and have to wait 2 weeks untill playoffs start. Summer break will come in a good time. We will see if I come back for more in the fall. 94 is a big part of my personal gaming history, but it's not the only game I have played a lot. I have enjoyed EASHL 6on6 hockey even more than NHL94 in the past and it might be something I might dwelve in to.

[/Blog]

Won playoff rounds vs lost: 9-10 // I'm excluding the tournaments here.
 -Losses to:  Plabax * 3, Seth * 2, Swos, Kingraph, Ice,  Freydey, Zalex // I am content with this, they all are high A level players.
 -Wins vs: DaWookie, Fitzo, Sicarius, Brutus, AJ, Kingraph, Ice, Tex, Zep

Your all time user statistics, that already exists so it would be easy to implement. Perhaps even your top 3 head to head opponents who you fare best against and worst.

On a level of 0-5 there could be evaluation of your performance, something like below:

Offence: 4- // Excellent with timing onetimers and able to do pass shots with range, probably first one to bring rebounds to modern age NA hockey. Poor at dekes and rely on passing or straight line skating power to create room.
Defence: 4+ // Most of the time consistent and patient play. All styles of C, CB & B in use. Using passive & passive aggressive style usually.
Goaltending: 3- // This has improved as of late, but too early to include that here. Goaltending has often lead to an uphill battle against other coaches.

As there are many levels to pass shots and rebounds effectivity, different tricks and how you can perform them could also be rated invidually. Just throwing out hints what could be done.

Player shoutouts and comments to the bottom of the card page.
Any negativity and hostility without constructive feedback should always result as a warning and eventually as bans from being able to comment on them. Aka nhl94online.com would have require a login to do so but that shouldn't be hard to implement to the site.

All of this is basically pointing on how you could bring part of the forums, matchmaking and stuff closer towards one site. My idea with improving the match page is similar and synchronous to this. So even player matchups could be arranged via an implemented commentary system on a player bio, maybe another side page to it where you can have discussions about your future matchups. This way you're not even required to use AIM for league match making (sends e-mail notifications etc. on new comments in matchmaking page).

So possible pages for your user "card" could be - Bio - League history - Matchmaking -.

Edited by Depch

That'd be pretty neat.

Currently it just gives you someone's info for a particular league&season (http://nhl94online.com/html/coachpage.php?lg=41&sublg=GENS-A&team_ID=1414).

Ideally there'd be a link for the player's bio and history.

48 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Ideally there'd be a link for the player's bio and history.

Indeed. And the ability to interact there would be great as well via commentary on things at least on the bio/history/review. I recon things as we are doing them at the moment is getting quite old. Everything should be moving under one platform/site little by little integrating stuff and enhanching features without becoming a massive labyrinth.

I do not think it's a hard thing to do, it's easy to keep it simple while adding things up. What it requires is time and effort and for grown ups like majority of this scene is it is hard to do.

Updated my "card" to chronological order.

While sorting the leagues out and looking back to it, I think of it I have the capacity to play in a 2-5 large leagues in a year. So there really should be some unification on thinking how to run the macro schedule of leagues with the current core of players in this community. Overcommiting to anything is something I want to avoid, not only in games but in life general. That will only lead to deflation in interest. I will be taking breaks during the summers at least.

Also perhaps what I've been writing as commentary to my league experienced and how I've experienced a certain year it could be part of a blog under a player. So everyone can write their experiences there.

Bio - Awards - History (competitions history, stats etc) - Blog

Perhaps something like that.

Edited by Depch