NHL'94 Forums

Favorite Things About Plabax ROM

aqualizard

I do love the ROM.  Here are two favorite things of mine:

1. With no penalties, the games are so quick you can play an entire 7 game series in record time
2. Nothing more satisfying than knocking out your opponent's star player without getting a penalty!

Number one is my fave by a mile.  I play quite a few exi series, and I estimated they are > 25% faster without the penalties.  Make a big difference in squeezing games in, in a short amount of time.

What do you think about the ROM?

I'm a fan of the extended goalie range that came over from the Blitz base ROM.  

No penalties is fun for the reasons mentioned above, but that is more of a game/league setting than ROM attribute.  Enabling b-check with penalties off was the ROM hack.  

I enjoy faster exis but do find the ROM plays so much more aggressive with penalties off.

Coaches drafted their teams to be more aggressive (checking as a skill was actually a desired & ranked skill just for when under CPU control.)

I played FPB the other night in Classic, & was annoyed the first 2 penalties I got, but then remembered I needed to adjust my strategy to try to avoid them.

PLUS, some teams/players score better on short hand.  Mogilny is a good example.

So while I really loved having them off for the reasons Aqua mentioned, I do prefer to not always play with this setting.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:49 AM, kingraph said:

I'm a fan of the extended goalie range that came over from the Blitz base ROM.  .  

What does this mean?  Are goalies able to go out further before they hit the force field, or something else?

15 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

What does this mean?  Are goalies able to go out further before they hit the force field, or something else?

Yes, in Classic ROM, the goalies can't get nearly as far out before you hit the invisible force field.

In Plab's ROM, you get MUCH further out.  This changes when/if you manual to goalie by quite a bit.

It took me over a few weeks of exi's to adjust to it.  In addition, it made me dump the light/fast goalie, because combined with the quick control, I found myself flying all over the place at times to a detriment. 

By using a fat f&cker like Burke, I actually do better.