NHL'94 Forums

Et Tu, Brute, SCHEDULE GAMES

Brutus

Ok. Season is under way.

Try to use this thread if you are having a hard time finding people OR if you will be away for a few weeks, drop a NOTE here so guys know to not be looking for you.

Also, keep your PM's clear enough so you can receive a PM requesting a game, and DO respond to AIM messages or PM requesting games even if you can't play.  A simple, not this day/night, week, but I will be around here during these slots.

AND FINALLY, DO NOT tell people you will be around in a few hours & not check in at all.  Guys come into the AIM chat group, see your message, wait around, and get mad.  It's bad sportsmanship guys.  IF something comes up, that happens to all of us, but try to get to back to AIM to update your message that you won't be around.

Tex is at 26 games already before even the end of March 3rd. 

Amazing.

Ice, Zep, J&J, Lupz, Jer, Pearate, Chef, Cbk, & Darko are all at zero games.

I know a few are traveling/sick, but let's all try to get some games in the first few weeks to get the ball rolling!

Brutus availability schedule:

Mon: after 10 pm central till usually 1 am
Tues: after 10 pm central till 1 am
Wed: can be around during day and after 10 pm central
Thur: can be around closer to 8 pm central & later
Friday: after 10 pm central till 1 am
Saturday: rarely around, some times LATE at night
Sunday: rare during morning/day, but can be with pre-set schedule.  Normally only come end of season or playoff time for this
Sunday night: usually after 9 pm central till 1 am

This is WHEN I am on.  Doesn't mean I am always on during these times.  If you look that over and notice you almost never find yourself on during those times, try to get me a PM/aim message/text message, so we know up front to try to find somewhere in the next 60 days to get our games in under a different window :)

I need:

B: The 2 French Dudes, Atomic, and CBK (16 games)
A: JJ and Lupz (4 Games)

I would like to finish this weekend.

Post your availability, please.

I am enjoying my time in First Place in the camp"B"ell Conference.
Yet to win vs the w"A"les Conference.
Though I have had some competitive games.

Dave Brown has scored a goal.
Grant Fuhr has a shutout.

Also one of my games against Skip is not showing up in W-L. (L for me, W for Skip)

AND 

are we gonna make OTL worth 1 point?

Edited by CoachMac

On 3/14/2017 at 8:08 PM, HABS said:

Zzzz zzzz league dead.  Same couple guys slacking. 

I actually get annoyed with this stuff.  I realize some guys get out ahead of other guys in their games played.

Season set for 56 games and 8 weeks.
We are 16 days into the season, and we are at 49% of games completed.  Basically 6 weeks left, and I'd say we are well ahead of pace.  If we get to mid April, and it's the same guys still behind, I get something like this.

If you are PM'ing a guy, messaging specifically that player on Discord (AIM in the past), and also calling them out on the forum, and they are NOT responding to you with any response, then please forward this information over to me.  I will get them to reply or replace them.

AGAIN, just showing up when we are available, asking for games, and announcing it dead isn't accurate.

For those trying to finish their season EARLY, the following guys are going to be hard to play right now:
J&J was sick and then on vacation.  Scheduled to return March 19th.
Lupz is dying and might not ever recover!  (He's been laid up in bed for 2-3 weeks now. All jokes aside, get better bro.)
Ice has been traveling for work and backed up.  The few nights he was clear for lots of games, noone was around.
Atomic is dealing with a computer issue that is causing his league games to be lagged beyond.
Pearate is dealing with something similar and might be part of his lower participation rate.
Darko is in France and is a f&cker.  PM him when you know you will be around on a weekend, and he's normally good to find games>
CBK does not OFTEN log into the AIM/DISCORD setup.  I find sending him a PM in the past was the best way to get games with him.

CHEF is generally up really early in the AM and as such, goes to bed really early.  Guys looking for games with him who DO NOT find themselves on closer to 6 pm to 7 pm eastern should consider trying to set up via PM or Discord a private conversation when you could schedule a game.

• Like 2

Loving the League and the rom.

I am sad that my season is almost over.

So here is a rundown.

Blitz with no C/B check is the best way to play this game period.
I do believe it is what they intended.
Mess, Ray, Otto, Stevens are supposed to be beast.

That said I'll play anything.

1 minute penalties are great.

This is my first ever draft league and I really get the attraction of building a team to your liking.
I can't handle speed and like physical players.
So I drafted accordingly and love my guys.
There is a great vibe in the room in Edmonton.
I hope we can keep the thing going and I can draft some of my Old Time Players. 
We got our eyes on a kid named Gordie.
If I ever play in GDL I will go pure wt bug, but of course in GDL that leaves me open to C/B.

My season Review.

Draft:  A+, I love my team and they fit my C-mashing style.
Aside from Brutus and Philly I think I have the most physical team in the league.
I was nervous about drafting but I was able stay on schedule and get pretty much the team I wanted.
Mess, Otto, and a top 3 goalie were my first priorities and I got all 3.
I wanted bland stay at home heavy hard checking defense man so I would not be tempted to rush them up the ice and out of position as I am very prone to doing.
I also wanted Brad Marsh and Dave Brown and got them both.
Brad Marsh has been surprisingly useful despite his 40 rating.
He is actually the only guy in 94 who played for the Atlanta Flames.
He played for them in the last year 1980 in the old Omni and I saw many games during my Sophomore year of High School.

Overall 16-38
vs cam"B"ell Conference 15-21
vs w"A"les  Conference 1-17 (with just JJ left to play)
Overtime Record 4-3 (I was 2-15 all-time in OT when season started)

vs Skip 0-4 Skip dominated 3 of 4 games and then won 6-5 in OT in the last game.  My pick to win the Conference
vs Pearate 0-4 Belfour dominated me.  I can't score on the dude.
vs Jack Vandal 2-2 Very proud of getting a split with him.
vs Darko 2-2
vs Atomic 2-2
vs CBK 2-2
vs Chef 4-0 Tough hard fought games. I feel like all the bounces went my way.
vs Aqua 2-2 Best win of the season was a 3-2 ot thriller.  My first ot win and the first time I actually jumped out of my chair and ran around the room celebrating.
vs Jer 1-3 My #1 B Bud rival took 3 of 4 from me.  All were great 1 goal games including an OTL thriller.  He beat me Live in Toronto.  Love playing this dude.

Obviously lost almost all my games vs the "other" conference.
But I was much more competitive.  Had four 1 goal losses including an OTL to one of the top players on the site.
Plus that 1 win was huge as many in our conference have none.
Plus I scored a goal with Dave Brown at the end of blow out in one of these crossover games.

Static, I thought would be boring but I really see very little difference every game is still very different.
That said, I hope we never find a way to take momentum out of the game.
I really think it is the #1 attraction to why 94 is so great.
It mimics real life.  As a coach for 25 years I can tell you momentum is real you can feel it and love it when it works for you and you also know the overwhelming dread when it is working against you.  94 captures that!!!

I am not much for the whole mentoring, coaching, and watching video thing here on this site.
Maybe that feels to much like what I do all day at my job which is coaching.
AND actually I find it much less enjoyable than when we did more just line up and play like we did in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.
Sports in real life have become way to analytical and defined metrics than how we use to play even 15 years ago.
I like 94 for the simple kick ass fun of how hockey was back in the day and all sports were.

I also think GC damages many lower level players more than it helps them.
Pass Shots same thing.

I found both of these things overall detriments to my game.
I was better off to let Fuhr do his thing and concentrate on my defensive player.

THAT said, I want to give the biggest thanks to Brutus who gave me the best piece of coaching advice, tip what ever you want to call it.

He did it in one sentence. 
Simple, straight forward, and easy to understand.
I won't share that secret with the rest of you, but it raised my game.

Like a Moth to a Flame.

See ya in the Playoffs and JJ hit me up when you are better!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachMac said:

See ya in the Playoffs and JJ hit me up when you are better!

Coach, all better but now on vacation with family.  Back in a few days and hopefully available for games again early next week.

3 hours ago, CoachMac said:

vs Aqua 2-2 Best win of the season was a 3-2 ot thriller.  My first ot win and the first time I actually jumped out of my chair and ran around the room celebrating.

Haha!  THat is funny to envision what is happening on the other end hundreds of miles away.  Glad you were stoked.  On my side I just remember thinking your team was hard to knock down and Messier in particular made my goalie look silly.

5 hours ago, Brutus said:

AGAIN, just showing up when we are available, asking for games, and announcing it dead isn't accurate.

For those trying to finish their season EARLY, the following guys are going to be hard to play right now:

Kinda sucks that most (or even all?) of the hard to reach guys are in the B conference.  Oh well, what can you do?

Edited by aqualizard

15 hours ago, Brutus said:

I actually get annoyed with this stuff.  I realize some guys get out ahead of other guys in their games played.

Season set for 56 games and 8 weeks.
We are 16 days into the season, and we are at 49% of games completed.  Basically 6 weeks left, and I'd say we are well ahead of pace.  If we get to mid April, and it's the same guys still behind, I get something like this.

If you are PM'ing a guy, messaging specifically that player on Discord (AIM in the past), and also calling them out on the forum, and they are NOT responding to you with any response, then please forward this information over to me.  I will get them to reply or replace them.

J&J was sick and then on vacation.  Scheduled to return March 19th.
Lupz is dying and might not ever recover!  (He's been laid up in bed for 2-3 weeks now. All jokes aside, get better bro.)
Ice has been traveling for work and backed up.  The few nights he was clear for lots of games, noone was around.
Atomic is dealing with a computer issue that is causing his league games to be lagged beyond.
Pearate is dealing with something similar and might be part of his lower participation rate.
Darko is in France and is a f&cker.  PM him when you know you will be around on a weekend, and he's normally good to find games>
CBK does not OFTEN log into the AIM/DISCORD setup.  I find sending him a PM in the past was the best way to get games with him.

CHEF is generally up really early in the AM and as such, goes to bed really early.  Guys looking for games with him who DO NOT find themselves on closer to 6 pm to 7 pm eastern should consider trying to set up via PM or Discord a private conversation when you could schedule a game.

Ok ok not dead, was just a little lul for a few days. My bad on the overreaction.  League is definitely going very well in terms of completion.  Discord has made things much smoother!  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'll be on tonight (Sunday 8 EST) and my availability is as follows:

Mon: 9-11 EST

Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8-12 EST

Saturday, Sunday: hit or miss, but I'll try to be more avail now since I'm behind

On 3/26/2017 at 6:19 PM, CBK26 said:

Hi folks,

I'll be on tonight (Sunday 8 EST) and my availability is as follows:

Mon: 9-11 EST

Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8-12 EST

Saturday, Sunday: hit or miss, but I'll try to be more avail now since I'm behind

Tuesday night is TONIGHT you MOFO's.

:)

Darko, Chef & CBK all need games, so maybe you guys could knock out your 4 x 4 x 4, and that would put you all up 8 games each and back inline (somewhat).

Been busy lately, but I am setting aside tomorrow night (Wed Mar 29) from 9pm to 11pm EST to bang some games out.

Also, Sunday April 2 from 1pm to 3pm EST.

Need 6 games before April 3.  Sorry for the tight windows; got a lot on the go atm.  But I will guarantee I will be there at these times. :)

Edited by aqualizard

10 hours ago, Brutus said:

Tuesday night is TONIGHT you MOFO's.

:)

Darko, Chef & CBK all need games, so maybe you guys could knock out your 4 x 4 x 4, and that would put you all up 8 games each and back inline (somewhat).

I knocked 16 games last week to be back in line f**kin a**hole!!!

I will be online at random times, usually after 9pm EST Mon-Fri.  But not as much as I used to be -- been busy with life/work.  

I will also be online 100% at:

Wednesdays 9pm - 11pm EST going forward
This Sunday Apr 2, 1pm - 3pm EST

8 hours ago, aqualizard said:

I will be online at random times, usually after 9pm EST Mon-Fri.  But not as much as I used to be -- been busy with life/work.  

I will also be online 100% at:

Wednesdays 9pm - 11pm EST going forward
This Sunday Apr 2, 1pm - 3pm EST

I ll be around Sunday at this time Aqua

• Like 1

I will, again, be around for games this Wed at 9pm EST.  Have a 2 hour window (but will leave after 1st hour if no games happening....)

I will not be around on Sunday for games cuz it is Easter.  May check in at odd times this weekend, but cannot commit.

I have 10 games left: 4 with Darko and Chefstar, 2 with J&J... Don't foresee a problem getting them in...

On 4/1/2017 at 11:16 PM, HABS said:

Can we get the season deadline to come sooner?  Say April 15?? Seems like it is quite doable.  

On 4/4/2017 at 3:53 PM, HABS said:

Wtga... 

On 3/14/2017 at 6:08 PM, HABS said:

Zzzz zzzz league dead.  Same couple guys slacking. 

Habs, I feel ya Bud.

I still do not understand why there is such a negative reaction to punishing slackers. There has to be a system to punish guys who do not want to follow the rules. Charge them $100 to play or something. 

I got scolded in my last thread for kicking out CBK and chefstar, but what do they do? They do not play their games, yet they are invited back. All they are doing is removing players from the draft pool that other players would have loved to draft. There are no positives in having players like CBK and chefstar in your leagues. 

I see slackers as debt. You can have 20 coaches sign up, but if 5 are slackers, your league is really only worth 15 coaches. These slackers have interest rates too. You can see how keeping them around for too long will decrease the amount of good coaches.

30 minutes ago, Premium said:

I still do not understand why there is such a negative reaction to punishing slackers. There has to be a system to punish guys who do not want to follow the rules. Charge them $100 to play or something. 

I got scolded in my last thread for kicking out CBK and chefstar, but what do they do? They do not play their games, yet they are invited back. All they are doing is removing players from the draft pool that other players would have loved to draft. There are no positives in having players like CBK and chefstar in your leagues. 

I see slackers as debt. You can have 20 coaches sign up, but if 5 are slackers, your league is really only worth 15 coaches. These slackers have interest rates too. You can see how keeping them around for too long will decrease the amount of good coaches.

keep-calm-and-beat-a-dead-horse-8.png Plabax is right.:amazing:

He ran the best league ever on this site and I didn't play in it.:shame:

We do this over and over again!:eyes_droped:

Also I am going to give him a Stick tap for winning his own league and not rage quitting.

BUT,

What happened to running 10 seasons a year or whatever you claimed?:grimace:

Also, I mean no disrespect to Brutus or Raph or anybody else who runs leagues.
It is a tough job and all the commishes get my respect as they attempt to do what is right.:red_heart:

I will say it again.  Why not small 6-8 teams leagues of like minded and skilled and committed coaches.

1 month season max.

We Basically know the 6 or so guys who can win this.

My games with them are simply exis.

AND,

Now we are just on to the next league VHL and trying to start up GDL.

Ya this applies.

36553469.jpg

Edited by CoachMac

So, tradition is 2 month long seasons for leagues 20-24 coaches in size.  It's the obvious reason for this setup by me.

i was unable to get enough people to 56 games to finish the league ahead of schedule, so I did not shorten the season.

For my part, as a participant, I've finished my team minus Zep.  I've finished half another team's games minus 2 X Ice.  But as a commish, it's hard to scream at people who are still within standard setup guidelines laid out at the season's beginning.

So, I can easily agree that a one month or month & half schedule is better.  But changing rules mid stream is never a good idea.  We know next time.

Coach & Plabs are the few openly campaigning for short seasons before the seasons start, so the other banter sounds foolish to me given it wasn't there when I was creating the setup.  I have signed up & played in both your guy's leagues in the past so I'm not opposed to your ideas.

I did not think with Spring Break & Easter that we would be sitting so close to completion at 3-4 weeks in.  If I had, I'd have made it 5 week season.  Hindsight 20/20.

I do believe the 4 X your own conference & 2 X the opposite has been a very successful formula, so that's a plus going forward.  An easy way to mix A & B together without too much brain damage.

i also thought Skip's VHL was dead since it took like 3 months to finish the playoffs, but given he just started that up again, I did not want to run the shorten B version of this league (~10 coaches NOONE month scale) like I originally discussed.

i also am not doing DNP's, but just not re-inviting the guys who don't play.  Maybe next season we might have 9 in A & 8 in B.  I will likely put more emphasis on league quality over even schedule/stats.

both chef & cbk were needed to get us to 20, which is a small number & we had 2 drops!!

Most of us don't want to play in a 6 man league or we would already be doing it, over & over & over by now.

so, I'll discuss with all the active coaches for next season we run & see who is welcome back.