naples39

NHL 2017 deadline by naples39

11 posts in this topic

Alright, I haven't tested this as much as I usually do, but hopefully first time's a charm!

Please let me know if you catch any problems/errors and I'll do 1.1 or or whatever.

nSQ1ujW.pnggoEIfAX.png

xMjw5hx.png

8rPx6PV.png

nhl2017deadline.zip

2 people like this

Game plays a bit slow. Hitting opponents is like trying to hit confetti. My cpu controlled teammates often seem unaware of their surroundings.

6 hours ago, BillC52865 said:

Game plays a bit slow. Hitting opponents is like trying to hit confetti. My cpu controlled teammates often seem unaware of their surroundings.

My goal is to try to keep the range of player ratings from the original rom where only solid allstars get into the 80s rating range and if you're not first line or close to it you're not in 70s either.

This will result in slower play than ROMs like skip's where his ratings result in about +10-15 overall for every player compared to where I rate guys, and nearly every team has several guys in the high 70s and higher in his ROM. Way too many 5/6 agilities/speeds IMO!

I guess that affects player AI too?

Different strokes for different folks! I also think it's good to have different approaches, otherwise there's not much reason for skip and I to be doing the same thing!

2 people like this

I do appreciate the different perspective, although I do prefer skip's ROM as his is more like the original NHL '94 where the best players are up in the 90s.  I'm curious (as I haven't seen an explanation) if your perspective is representative of a view that today's players aren't as good as those back in the 1990s?

On 3/9/2017 at 8:08 AM, The Dopefish said:

I do appreciate the different perspective, although I do prefer skip's ROM as his is more like the original NHL '94 where the best players are up in the 90s.  I'm curious (as I haven't seen an explanation) if your perspective is representative of a view that today's players aren't as good as those back in the 1990s?

This quote bugs me.
I don't know Naples from the man on the moon.

BUT,

Naples bust his a--.  Making this rom.  Does amazing work and does it all for free.  Plus he has made some great roms from the 80's, 90's and 2000's.
I think he and Skip push each other and it makes both their roms better.
Skip didn't use to have player pics but I think the good competition between the 2 pushed Skip to get it done.

Skips rom is jacked up with way more highly rated players than the original rom.
Rated more like todays EA games.
This is awesome and appeals to many people.

Naples stays more true to the Original 94 ratings.
With only the very elite rated in the 90's
This is awesome and appeals to many people.

The Original rom has 11 guys rated above 90 and 27 more rated above 80.
So 38 guys on 26 teams.  Just a little more than 1 per team on average.

That's not very many.

It has nothing to do with who is better todays players or the guys in the 90's.
It is how a "Video Game" plays.

I make Original 6 roms.  That you may not like as I do not jack up ratings.
I try to stay true to the Original rom in the percent of players rated in the 90's, 80's, etc....

Those guys were not nearly as fast, or shots as hard as the guys in the 90's or todays players, but I maintain the same basic rating scale.
So the guy with the hardest shot in 1967.  Gets a 5 rating for his shot.  The fastest skater gets a 5 for speed.
Some of this also has to do with equipment used at the time.

If you like Skip's rom better awesome.

But IMO keep it to yourself or at least don't post it in Naples thread.

Edited by CoachMac

Breakdown of Superstars in Roms.
I used an 80 Overall rating in the Original formula as a superstar though obviously that can vary as Klima is 76 in the Original.

NHL 94 Original Rom 26 teams 35 Skaters and 3 Goalies rated above 80. (1.46 per team)
Naples 2017 30 teams 34 Skaters and 8 Goalies rated above 80. (1.40 per team) (Heavy on the Goalies)
Skip 2017 30 teams 95 skaters and 18 Goalies rated above 80. (3.76 per team)
CoachMac NHL67 6 teams 9 skaters and 3 Goalies rated above 80 (2 per team)

I'm not trying to take anything any from naples at all, I'm just curious about his methodology.  I am equally as curious about how skip does his ROMs. I shouldn't have to say it, but I think anyone who puts in their own time and effort to continue the legacy of NHL '94 has to be respected.  I also played your throwback ROMs CoachMac and I appreciate all your effort regardless of which guy's ROM I like the best.  I love playing around with these games to see what you can come up with, what will be a new and different experience, so I like to try to find out what people are thinking when they do what they do.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for someone's perspective, even if it differs from mine, because hearing everyone's perspective is valuable.  I understand that you may be offended by what I said or how I said it, but I have nothing but the best of intentions.

1 person likes this

I don't mind the comments.

The thing about making custom ROMs is that they can be whatever you want them to be. Obviously I'll never make a cent off doing these, and I'm never going to please every one, so I choose to make them along the rough guidelines of the original rom.

I feel it's an important part of the game to have real separation between the big stars. More important however, is not every team being jacked up to the overall quality of the best 2 or 3 teams in the original. Most teams will put out a NLC lineup of players in the 70s in my ROM. The Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid will be 90s. The excellent-but-not quite there will be 80s or thereabouts. Playing the original ROM with mortal players just plays different, and I don't want every game in my ROM to feel like a game with the allstar teams in 94 original blend where nearly every skater is 80ish.

Some things that do separate my ROM player ratings from 94 is that defensemen skate better and hit less, and the goalies are better. I feel this is a fair reflection of how the NHL has changed since the early 90s. This generally leads to fewer goals too, which also seems fair. Either way, a team in my 2017 ROM wouldn't be out of place in original 94.

For instance, you look at Skip's ROM with a team like the red wings. They have 5 FWs 76 or higher, 2 77 dmen, and 2 goalies in the 70s. That would be one of the top teams in the original ROM. This year in real life, the Wings are a last place team, and guys like Dylan Larkin are looking at a 30-point season, yet is a 78 in that ROM.

NOT IN MY HOUSE BROTHER.

I suspect the approach of skip's rom is more popular for some whiz-bang gameplay, but that's not the way 94 was designed to be played. Neither approach is "correct", but I really like the idea of keeping original gameplay feel and team/player differentiation. Playing with last place teams should play quite differently that first place---not just slightly less good but still all-star quality players from the original 94.

Again, otherwise I wouldn't bother make a ROM that just does the same thing as Skip's because there would be no point!

Edited by naples39
5 people like this

3 hours ago, The Dopefish said:

I'm not trying to take anything any from naples at all, I'm just curious about his methodology.  I am equally as curious about how skip does his ROMs. I shouldn't have to say it, but I think anyone who puts in their own time and effort to continue the legacy of NHL '94 has to be respected.  I also played your throwback ROMs CoachMac and I appreciate all your effort regardless of which guy's ROM I like the best.  I love playing around with these games to see what you can come up with, what will be a new and different experience, so I like to try to find out what people are thinking when they do what they do.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for someone's perspective, even if it differs from mine, because hearing everyone's perspective is valuable.  I understand that you may be offended by what I said or how I said it, but I have nothing but the best of intentions.

Thanks for your kind well thought out response.

I took your original post wrong.:wub:

1 person likes this

This is great! I prefer naples39's versions because the speed is slower, making it harder to score, I find. Plus, the slightly slower speed is more realistic, and less arcade-like.

1 person likes this

Where can i get all the, Latest updated version? I already have Naples version I would like all of them.