NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2017 deadline by naples39

naples39

Thanks Naples!!

Your work is greatly appreciated.

It really bugs me that people can freely download this, and then proceed to b***h about it, or just jump into the middle of a critique without bothering to even express any gratitude beforehand.  I think such people should be insta-perma-banned without warning or mercy.

I love Naples no joke, Me and my bro play all the time. Cannot wait to see your new rom wil be amazing all of it Any haters should be banned and if you need audio done i am your man.

I honestly can't tell if some of these replies are sarcastic, or if people think I am serious that I have a team working on a new, completely re-modeled version with features that EA can't even get right with a budget in the $10s of millions?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, naples39 said:

I honestly can't tell if some of these replies are sarcastic, or if people think I am serious that I have a team working on a new, completely re-modeled version with features that EA can't even get right with a budget in the $10s of millions?

:big_smile:

11 minutes ago, The Dopefish said:

It's always a thrill when one of your jokes works too well. :lol:

:haha:

22 hours ago, hnfoo said:

Thanks Naples!!

Your work is greatly appreciated.

It really bugs me that people can freely download this, and then proceed to b***h about it, or just jump into the middle of a critique without bothering to even express any gratitude beforehand.  I think such people should be insta-perma-banned without warning or mercy.

hnfoo's chill pill prescription must've ran out. That said, Naples ROM is pretty well done. It just takes a little getting used to it and feeling the rhythm of gameplay. Sometimes you DON'T have to flatten your opponent to steal the puck from him, for example. BTW hnfool, our opinions do NOT need your approval.

Hi, Naples,

I like to play as teammates, but when you select teammates and start new playoffs, after the first game, it defaults back to one-on-one.

I can't confirm if that's an original feature, but is that something you're able to modify? My brother and I would like to raise the cup as teammates.

Thanks for everything you've done for the community. Would love to help if you ever needed it. 

4 hours ago, BillC52865 said:

hnfoo's chill pill prescription must've ran out. That said, Naples ROM is pretty well done. It just takes a little getting used to it and feeling the rhythm of gameplay. Sometimes you DON'T have to flatten your opponent to steal the puck from him, for example. BTW hnfool, our opinions do NOT need your approval.

I didn't mention you by name, but you responded as if I did.  So is it then safe to assume that you are aware you sometimes come across as a bit of a dick?  Maybe you're the greatest guy in the world.  I have no idea.  But when you, without a polite preamble, or appreciation or gratitude, proceed to point out all the things you don't like about something that took a considerable amount of time and effort by someone who is under zero obligation to freely share their creation with you...it makes you look like a dick.  Do you not see that? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, naples39 said:

I figured as much given it was April Fools Day, but good execution nonetheless

Edited by profit90

17 hours ago, redkarpet said:

Hi, Naples,

I like to play as teammates, but when you select teammates and start new playoffs, after the first game, it defaults back to one-on-one.

I can't confirm if that's an original feature, but is that something you're able to modify? My brother and I would like to raise the cup as teammates.

Thanks for everything you've done for the community. Would love to help if you ever needed it. 

I believe this is a glitch that originates in the original NHL '94.

Well i think saying you have a team and then, Going back and having others say I cannot believe these stupid idiots buy this is a dick move also. Specially when these stupid idiots offer to help what a bunch of dicks that support stupidity. Ill give your rom credit though but not the stupidity.

Edited by wbgs_radio

There was no "going back" on my comment about having a team working on re-make in unreal engine. The whole post was a silly joke, and I was trying to make it sound as ridiculous as possible, mainly as a response to the sense I was getting that people might have unrealistic expectations about the hacks I've done and what I can do in future.

I'm just some random dude who knows nothing about programming doing this for free on a 20-year old game using hacking tools made by other random guys for free. The "rom" I described in that post would basically have been an indie game requiring hundreds (possibly thousands) of man-hours of labor for professional game makers basically making a product form scratch. Then I also threw in that it would be 512kb, which is a smaller file than a decent clip of single goal horn (for instance the uploaded DAL goal horn was 3MB, 6 times as big as 512kb!). The whole thing was utterly, completely ridiculous.

I guess the original point remains--people need to keep perspective on what is reasonable in these amateur hacks made basically for a tiny internet forum. Of course not everyone knows the details of ROM hacking, but if you thought that 'rom' was a real possibility just use it as a humble reality check as to how much you don't know before making requests. Also keep in mind that the major challenge for NHL94 hacks going forward is if someone can make a new rom template that can accommodate simply 31 teams to fit in Vegas without deleting anybody or making the game crash entirely.

I plan to keep making hacks, they will be free, and I hope people enjoy them. Humble requests will remain welcome ( I should have an outdoor alt version in a few days).

Edited by naples39
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, naples39 said:

There was no "going back" on my comment about having a team working on re-make in unreal engine. The whole post was a silly joke, and I was trying to make it sound as ridiculous as possible, mainly as a response to the sense I was getting that people might have unrealistic expectations about the hacks I've done and what I can do in future.

I'm just some random dude who knows nothing about programming doing this for free on a 20-year old game using hacking tools made by other random guys for free. The "rom" I described in that post would basically have been an indie game requiring hundreds (possibly thousands) of man-hours of labor for professional game makers basically making a product form scratch. Then I also threw in that it would be 512kb, which is a smaller file than a decent clip of single goal horn (for instance the uploaded DAL goal horn was 3MB, 6 times as big as 512kb!). The whole thing was utterly, completely ridiculous.

I guess the original point remains--people need to keep perspective on what is reasonable in these amateur hacks made basically for a tiny internet forum. Of course not everyone knows the details of ROM hacking, but if you thought that 'rom' was a real possibility just use it as a humble reality check as to how much you don't know before making requests. Also keep in mind that the major challenge for NHL94 hacks going forward is if someone can make a new rom template that can accommodate simply 31 teams to fit in Vegas without deleting anybody or making the game crash entirely.

I plan to keep making hacks, they will be free, and I hope people enjoy them. Humble requests will remain welcome ( I should have an outdoor alt version in a few days).

Your funny my last post also still stands, But ill ad this you diss everyone. Else but what you know about programming? Thats what I thought your just like everyone, Else out there I rest my case still a good rom though. Also on your next rom few tips please make the rom not lag every so often or stutter I have tried 3 emulators and does same on all.

Edited by wbgs_radio

On 02/04/2017 at 10:28 PM, hnfoo said:

I didn't mention you by name, but you responded as if I did.  So is it then safe to assume that you are aware you sometimes come across as a bit of a dick?  Maybe you're the greatest guy in the world.  I have no idea.  But when you, without a polite preamble, or appreciation or gratitude, proceed to point out all the things you don't like about something that took a considerable amount of time and effort by someone who is under zero obligation to freely share their creation with you...it makes you look like a dick.  Do you not see that? 

Hey if Naples did his so called remake then there would be a good damn reason to pay, Maybe a worthy reason to pay but for now whats wrong with donating? Also yea bit of OCD?

Edited by wbgs_radio

On 4/4/2017 at 6:10 AM, wbgs_radio said:

Your funny my last post also still stands, But ill ad this you diss everyone. Else but what you know about programming? Thats what I thought your just like everyone, Else out there I rest my case still a good rom though. Also on your next rom few tips please make the rom not lag every so often or stutter I have tried 3 emulators and does same on all.

I have been on this forum for 12 years playing in several leagues, then releasing ~10 ROMS and always taking feedback. You are the first person I have had the slightest bit of tension with.

I'll just go back to getting along fine with everyone else now.

Edited by naples39
  • Like 2

Alright you ingrates, here's an alternate 'outdoor' 2017 rom as requested by Brianski.

This rom is identical to my 2017 deadline rom, except that the ice logos and home uniforms are changed for PIT, WPG, TOR and STL for their outdoor games this year. The away uniforms for PHI, CHI, DET, and EDM are also changed to their outdoor uniforms (note that Flyers away is now black and WPG home is now white, which may make it tough to use them against other teams in this rom).

Screens:

mS5ngnw.png

7pF5w4c.png

4Ob4pWQ.png

6PJKxDe.png

lkp61Z1.png

nhl2017outdoor.zip

Edited by naples39
  • Like 3

Dude...you are AWESOME.  This is exactly what I had envisioned...though I would have gone with Crosby on the "cover." ;) Though, I grew up about 40 minutes from Erie and am a huge Otters fan, so I'll let McDavid slide!  All kidding aside, thanks so much for all of your hard work and responsiveness.  This is an awesome little addition and I'd love to see it continue if you get "bored" for a bit during each season in the future!  Thanks again!  Great work as always!

If anyone is interested, I've modified and attached my copy of the original Deadline 17 ROM to include this year's playoff matchups.  Using NOSE, I updated 31 of the 32 possible matchup scenarios to include the correct seedings for this year's playoffs.  Obviously, as the bracket is static in the game, it's impossible for all correct home-ice situations to play out correctly, though the NHL's current playoff format has at least assured that all winners will play the correct second-round opponents.  However, if top seeds advance, you'll get the correct teams having home ice.  Because of this, the bracket may look "weird" to you, though it plays out correctly.  Because of Washington having the league's best record, (and Pittsburgh finishing second) I have the East on the right side of the screen, as if either of these two teams advance to the Finals, they'd hold home ice over any potential West champion.  Also, you'll notice each conference's #1 seed is at the bottom of their bracket, as the game always recognizes the bottom team as the home team, and Chicago and Washington hold home-ice throughout.  The #2 seed in each conference is the bottom team of the second matchup, as they'd be home for rounds one and two, and away in the conference Final, again if the top seeds win.  

As far as the non-playoff teams, I used the last possible scenario to include them, to keep the game from freezing and crashing if you cycle through them.  I seeded this last "possibility" according to points, with the teams left out...in other words, the first team out, the Islanders are the East #1 seed.  In the West, unfortunately, since there were only 6 teams that didn't qualify, I had to include the Wild Card teams as the #1 and #2 seeds.  So, if you're a Flames or Predators fan, you may have to restart your playoff mode once or twice, in case you happen to get this non-realistic version to load.  Since there's theoretically only a 1-in-32 chance of pulling this set of teams, it's unlikely that you draw it.  But if you notice Calgary matched up with Colorado or Nashville with Vancouver, cycle through again until you get Flames-Ducks or Preds-Hawks.  If you're a fan of a non-playoff team, well, I'd suggest using Naples' original file, since it's pretty unrealistic to play through a bracket with 14 of the 16 teams being non-qualifiers.

Sorry for being long-winded, I just wanted to explain what I tried to do for anyone looking for an accurate '17 playoff ROM without doing the scheduling work themselves.  I hope it goes without saying that all of the work for this ROM was NOT done by me, rather I just changed one small aspect of Naples' Deadline 17 ROM.  The only other change I made was changing Consol Energy Center to PPG Paints Arena.  (Sorry, I'm a Pens fan. ;) )

NHL Deadline 17.bin

Edited by brianski71
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Las Vegas Golden Knights guess, That team wont be in any new Roms?

cut.jpg

cut.png

cut.jpg

Edited by wbgs_radio

I don't know how to make a ROM with more than 30 teams. Elsewhere on the forums there is talk that slapshot67 and smozoma have a working 32-team ROM.

If I can work with that, Vegas will be in 2018 ROM. If not, I might take out Arizona for Vegas in 2018 ROM.

Naples, you do great ROMs, and this thread is funny as hell!  Keep up the good work! :)

(On a side note, I do appreciate and agree with your approach of having mostly regular joes attribute-wise, so the real superstars stand out. Just like the original ROM did it.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Naples, you do great ROMs, and this thread is funny as hell!  Keep up the good work! :)

(On a side note, I do appreciate and agree with your approach of having mostly regular joes attribute-wise, so the real superstars stand out. Just like the original ROM did it.)

Thanks!

I am thinking of doing a final, quick "Stanley Cup" update to this rom, in which I will generally tick up the forward ratings a little, but keep the general approach.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...