naples39

NHL 2017 deadline by naples39

Recommended Posts

On 5/22/2017 at 5:51 PM, naples39 said:

I don't know how to make a ROM with more than 30 teams. Elsewhere on the forums there is talk that slapshot67 and smozoma have a working 32-team ROM.

If I can work with that, Vegas will be in 2018 ROM. If not, I might take out Arizona for Vegas in 2018 ROM.

Blasphemer!!!

Edited by MeatAndPotatoes
Stuff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take out one of the Canada teams or the islanders . Take out zona smh... !.Vegas and zona will have that desert rivalry. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried this ROM for a day now, it's great. Have you began working on the NHL 18 ROM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I already have a test version of 2018.

31 teams is a bit of a problem. I still haven't seen the 32-team rom, so I don't know if I'll be able to work with it if/when it's available.

If I CAN'T use it, I will release multiple versions of the 2018 rom with and without Vegas. Sorry, someone has to go unless the 32-team rom works!

Edited by naples39
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone wants to mess around, here's current version of 2018. Very WIP, so use at your own risk.

Engelby you're not gonna be happy -- this is a 30-team rom with Vegas in the place of 'Zona!

nhl2018-test.bin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, naples39 said:

If anyone wants to mess around, here's current version of 2018. Very WIP, so use at your own risk.

Engelby you're not gonna be happy -- this is a 30-team rom with Vegas in the place of 'Zona!

nhl2018-test.bin

So pumped to try this - thanks again!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, naples39 said:

If anyone wants to mess around, here's current version of 2018. Very WIP, so use at your own risk.

Engelby you're not gonna be happy -- this is a 30-team rom with Vegas in the place of 'Zona!

nhl2018-test.bin

Took 'er for a spin last night - had a blast doing so. Plan to play more on the weekend. I hope Kapanen cracks the Leafs roster so he is playable as well.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, highfiveshockey said:

Took 'er for a spin last night - had a blast doing so. Plan to play more on the weekend. I hope Kapanen cracks the Leafs roster so he is playable as well.

 

Thanks!

There will surely be lots of rookies to add when the time comes in October. Thus far I've only added a few I think--Patrick, Hischier, Chabot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see the beginning of the 2018 version. I just wanted to mention 1 very minor graphic detail. The Penguins "Pittsburgh" banner color on the main screen is still the 2000s color (beige), but on the pause screen during the game it is the correct (gold) color. Can this be changed to be the gold/black on the main screen? (Instead of beige/black). The logo is good, it's just the banner on the setup screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Messed around with the 2018 file last night. Seems to be a bug in the edit lines section for each team, where the game completely freezes up on me. Anyone else experience that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2017 at 10:27 PM, Brad1981 said:

Nice to see the beginning of the 2018 version. I just wanted to mention 1 very minor graphic detail. The Penguins "Pittsburgh" banner color on the main screen is still the 2000s color (beige), but on the pause screen during the game it is the correct (gold) color. Can this be changed to be the gold/black on the main screen? (Instead of beige/black). The logo is good, it's just the banner on the setup screen.

Yes, that sounds like a simple fix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 7:35 AM, bbb777 said:

Messed around with the 2018 file last night. Seems to be a bug in the edit lines section for each team, where the game completely freezes up on me. Anyone else experience that?

Sorry, I should have mentioned in the current WIP the lines are incomplete with null values. If you play with line changes the game will crash. 

Lines for no-line-change games are set, and can be changed in games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CoachMac said:

As great as this rom is, the fact that the music is off drives me crazy.:eyes_droped:

So I fixed it.:red_heart:

Hope you don't mind Naples.

nhl2017deadlinemusic.bin

YES!!! This is awesome. As I played through all of Naples's deadline ROMs, (yes, I'm a nerd and have played through an entire 7-game playoff run in all of them, current and throwback) this was the ONLY minor thing that bugged me just a little bit. Admittedly, I just saw this and haven't tried it...but if the songs are synced up with the right teams (as much as possible 23 years later) this will be a huge addition, IMO. Hopefully it's possible to have the correct music moving forward? And is there any way you can go back and correct it for his throwback ROMs? 

Edited by brianski71

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, brianski71 said:

YES!!! This is awesome. As I played through all of Naples's deadline ROMs, (yes, I'm a nerd and have played through an entire 7-game playoff run in all of them, current and throwback) this was the ONLY minor thing that bugged me just a little bit. Admittedly, I just saw this and haven't tried it...but if the songs are synced up with the right teams (as much as possible 23 years later) this will be a huge addition, IMO. Hopefully it's possible to have the correct music moving forward? And is there any way you can go back and correct it for his throwback ROMs? 

It is correct for all teams.

New teams since 1994 just got the generic music.

Yes the music can be corrected in any rom.
My Historic roms have correct music.  I will not be correcting it in Naples Roms.
I like him, but not that much.:big_smile:

Glad you are enjoying this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, man. Is it a tough process, or can any idiot with a VERY limited understanding of programming figure it out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CoachMac said:

As great as this rom is, the fact that the music is off drives me crazy.:eyes_droped:

So I fixed it.:red_heart:

Hope you don't mind Naples.

nhl2017deadlinemusic.bin

Thank you for the music correction. I had been meaning to do this but it seemed a little too complex for me so I kept putting it off. I love naples' roms because gameplay is slightly slower which I think makes better and less arcadey. Though I have everyone else's roms too, I just play naples' much more. "When the saints go marching in" for Penguins goals just didn't seem right :) and now I will always associate that song with Penguins goals....for the near future at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, brianski71 said:

Thanks, man. Is it a tough process, or can any idiot with a VERY limited understanding of programming figure it out? 

You will never find a person who is less tech savvy than I am, and I have figured this all out.

Smoz, Wboy, and many others have already done all the heavy lifting.

Here are 2 links, the first one takes you through everything.
The second is for music specifically.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well extra work to fix the organ music is definitely welcome! I try to be pretty completionist in my roms, although the music stuff is about the only thing I notably skip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Engelby77 said:

Got a beta ?

Try this.

It's mostly done, other than getting opening day rosters and lines/numbers when known. Some player rating tweaking and updates as well.

DON'T use line changes. They are not completely filled out, and the game will probably crash.

DON'T look at player cards for Team 31 (Winnipeg). The game will crash (known bug with 32-team ROM).

nhl2018 naples.bin

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a long time fan of NHL 94; however, I have yet to try one of these modified roms.  How well do the work in general in comparison with the original NHL 94 rom?  I have downloaded a few modified roms for Techno Super Bowl and they have been tremendous.  Does anyone know how this particular rom compares in terms of quality? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all you ever wished for was EA to continue making NHL games in the '94 format, then you won't be disappointed with these roms. There are no major visual differences between the original game and the roms except for updated teams, colors, and on-ice enhancements (coaches behind the bench, center ice logo, trapezoid net lines, etc.). Some people have mentioned that goal songs don't always match the teams from the original, but that doesn't bother me.

From a gameplay perspective, the AI seems to be better defensively, but I could be misremembering how the original cartridge played. The original game had a "weight/checking bug" where smaller players (Theoren Fleury) could truck everyone, but players with 100 check rating couldn't actually check. Some of the roms fixed that bug so that it plays more accurately. You can read about that bug on this site somewhere.

Other than that, the overall quality is outstanding. Naples39 and the rest of the people making the roms do a tremendous job and deserve a shrine in the Hall of Fame. Or at least eternal gratitude from this community.

Edited by redkarpet
Added "etc." to list of on-ice enhancements as a catch-all for other visuals I missed.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seiza616 said:

I have been a long time fan of NHL 94; however, I have yet to try one of these modified roms.  How well do the work in general in comparison with the original NHL 94 rom?  I have downloaded a few modified roms for Techno Super Bowl and they have been tremendous.  Does anyone know how this particular rom compares in terms of quality? 

Example:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great work I can't stay off it. I appreciate what you do !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really want to pimp this out for ya bud once she's all done.

hopefully before i go to the vegas knights game next thursday. boom!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online