NHL'94 Forums

Why no SNES ROM love recently???

CutterTML

I keep checking every week for new or updates to SNES or Sega NHL94 roms and theyre great but it seems recently that no one is doing SNES ROM updates?

Are we all deciding that the Sega version works better, there are fans out there waiting for SNES love somehow. Any explanation works y'know

• Like 1

The genesis editing software is better overall, and there's more people that play the sega version. And no one interested(at the moment) in completing an snes rom.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

there is a SNES editor that works well as long as you don't shorten your roster before shortening your lines.  the newest version is many years old.  it doesn't do graphics beyond uniforms.  there is also a very detailed ROM mapping thread.  read around there to advance your understanding.

2 hours ago, jer_33 said:

How hard would it be to just do a port of the updated Sega ratings for the SNES?

I think that would be the simplest source of updated ratings.

Question about the updated Sega ratings because I'm not familiar with them - Do they roughly follow the same distribution as the original NHL 94 ratings? i.e. a lot of poorly rated players with a handful of high rated players on each team? I prefer those type of ratings, as opposed to ratings where everyone is a superstar.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2017 at 3:49 AM, CutterTML said:

I keep checking every week for new or updates to SNES or Sega NHL94 roms and theyre great but it seems recently that no one is doing SNES ROM updates?

Are we all deciding that the Sega version works better, there are fans out there waiting for SNES love somehow. Any explanation works y'know

Because people are lazy and wait till someone else does all the hard work. 

SNES people have all the information they need to make their own roms, there are step-by-step posts here with info what to do by smozoma (mostly in Genesis hacking section), me, BobKudelski and couple of other guys who did the hard work, there are snes roms for download with tru's changed graphics, without star indicators/with star indicators, there is also great statto's editor, you got everything you need, just go through the forum and read. Some people here spent extremely large amount of time figuring out how to hack and edit the game and those who want updates dont make them when its, in comparison with what has been previously done by others, pretty easy and takes just couple of hours? 

On 11/15/2017 at 8:14 PM, Bob Kudelski said:

I think that would be the simplest source of updated ratings.

Question about the updated Sega ratings because I'm not familiar with them - Do they roughly follow the same distribution as the original NHL 94 ratings? i.e. a lot of poorly rated players with a handful of high rated players on each team? I prefer those type of ratings, as opposed to ratings where everyone is a superstar.

Would be easy to figure out. Write down numbers from one team (lets say the best regular team, not all star team) in snes version and then compare it with the original Genesis version. Then check numbers from updated genesis rom, again from the strongest team and compare with the original. If the distribution is +- the same as in the original rom, copy the rest to snes rom, if its not and skills are inflated (deflated), figure out how much they are inflated and make changes in SNES rom.

The more teams you compare, the more precise results you have. I am sure you got the idea, but eventually someone else who would like to start with updating roms will find this useful. 

On 11/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, DominikJagr said:

smozoma (mostly in Genesis hacking section), me, BobKudelski and couple of other guys who did the hard work

I don’t think I’ve ever contributed to  any work on ROMs. But I appreciate the thought. Maybe you’re thinking of someone else.

I meant the guy with the the spreadsheet link, its northstar91. But I remember you posting some useful gameplay stuff about the SNES version.

Anyway, all the information needed for editing the game can be found on the forum, pity noone who wants to play updated roms usea it. 

Edited by DominikJagr

• 3 weeks later...