NHL'94 Forums

Overseas games and laggy connections

aqualizard

9 hours ago, Darko99 said:

I always use +1 smoothing when i host. I always reload my CPU and my router before trying to find someone to play. And i always close AIM and now discord when i play...

Hey Darko, according to Depch, adding any frames to Smoothing, even just a "+1 frames", is a bad idea?  For overseas connections we should be adding none.  

I know I am going to follow this advice in the future. :)

I will also close down all other apps, like Discord, which I have not been doing. 

Edited by aqualizard

22 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Hey Darko, according to Depch, adding any frames to Smoothing, even just a "+1 frames", is a bad idea?  For overseas connections we should be adding none.  

I will also close down all other apps, like Discord, which I have not been doing. 

Use smoothing if the connection is inconsistent (ping varies a lot). Use no smoothing if the ping is consistent/steady.

I believe what he was saying about Discord was that if you are using Discord for voice chat, that can cause connection issues, because voice uses a fair bit of bandwidth. 

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

Use smoothing if the connection is inconsistent (ping varies a lot). Use no smoothing if the ping is consistent/steady.

I believe what he was saying about Discord was that if you are using Discord for voice chat, that can cause connection issues, because voice uses a fair bit of bandwidth. 

By default most connections should be steady nowadays. For overseas by default do not use smoothing. The +1 frame adds to input lag that is already high from the latency alone. Problems with specific connections should be more rare by default, if you experience problems with someone then consider using smoothing, but do not use it pre-emptively (it would be silly).

What was meant is that Discord eats a lot of resources for a chat/voIP program. So especially for older computers it's good to turn off while gaming. Some of the players who play Overwatch for example with more powerfull computers turn it also off and use something like Mumble for VoIP, which is more lighter.

Edited by Depch

2 hours ago, aqualizard said:

I don't say Depch is wrong but just say what i do when i play... :D 

I can try none smoothing for my next games to see,no problem!

But i think i already did this experience in the past but it wasn't a success...but why not

• Like 1