CoachMac

I have been studying up on these a bit.

#1 The Team rating does nothing.
It is cosmetic.

#2 Offense and Defense are Sim Data. 
They only apply to CPU vs CPU games.
So this has no effect on MAN vs MAN or MAN vs CPU games

#3 PP and PK.
I didn't look into since I am mostly interested in penalties OFF.
But I would assume work similar to Home/Away Advantages but only relate to Power Play Situations.

#4 Home/Away Advantages
Plabax made these Weak/Weak in an effort to eliminate all advantages or at least minimize it.
I think this was a mistake.
The best way to minimize is Weak/Strong.
This will give you a ZERO value.

Here is how I think it works.

Home                  Away
Strong = 2          Strong = 0
Average = 1       Average = 1
Weak = 0           Weak = 2
                          Brutal = 3
Using a Hex Editor these can be edited all the way up to 15 (F).

So with these set to WEAK/WEAK  you actually get a Home advantage of 2.
This is essentially just like Avg/Avg.
But using,
WEAK/STRONG gets an advantage of 0.

Here is a Table showing how it works.

vs          Strong (0)       AVG (1)    Weak (2)   Brutal (3)

Strong (2)                         2                    3                4              5

AVG (1)                             1                   2                3              4

Weak (0)                          0                    1                2              3

SO, In conclusion Strong Home vs Brutal Away gives a MAX Advantage of 5.
That is obvious.

What is not obvious is that Leagues that want to minimize the Home Ice Advantage, should set these to:

WEAK/STRONG

Edited by CoachMac

Correct, 0/0 (weak at home/strong away) mostly cancels out the advantages, as shown in the table here:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/17660-homeaway-advantages-analysis/#comment-161804

However I do refer to 0/0 as weak/weak in that post, because I'm calling the away modifier the DISadvantage, which is different than how I have them labeled in EARE, which is confusing.

In leagues with an A/B, I wonder if giving the B a home advantage would give a little boost to the weaker division in interleague play?

The HOME team clearly has an advantage in ETB.

It's not monstrous but it's there.

Now, button response delays are MUCH more important to who wins/loses, so I actually think the Away team in some instances ends up with the bigger advantage.

I do NOT edit the ROMS, and find as long as we all play with the same ROM, I'm generally not going to complain much.  BUT, I do prefer NO home/away advantages when playing NHL94.

Generally, I tend to EXI a lot more with a ROM than I end up playing regular season/playoffs, so in GENS, hosting/switching who hosts, etc, is a pain in the arse.  I prefer to just line up & play 10 straight without being at an advantage/disadvantage based on who is hosting (being HOME).

But, I understand for straight league competition and playoff format, wanting some HOME advantages.

Either way, we should probably make sure we know what the end result of our settings is when we are setting up a league ROM.

14 minutes ago, Brutus said:

Either way, we should probably make sure we know what the end result of our settings is when we are setting up a league ROM.

My motivation is to make the best Solitaire Rom possible, but I know this information is useful for league roms as well.

That was Plabax's goal and I think this setting would give him more of the desired result of NO Home Ice Advantage.

My motivation is to give the CPU MAX Home Ice Advantage

Edited by CoachMac