halifax

King of 94 II - Who's going?

Recommended Posts

halifax    89

Registration is open for the tourney.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/king-of-94-ii-nhl-94-tournament-registration-33959801681

94 Buds going

SNES

1.Halifax

2.Kingraph

3.Corbettkb

4. Smozoma

SEGA

1. Evan

2.Addisonbr

3.Kingraph

4.Coach Mac

5.Coffey

6.Kevin Cabarello(He was at wisconsin king of 94s)

7. corbettkb

8. aqualizard

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
halifax    89

So far Sega is kicking the pants off of SNES 9-2 for registrants. 

Smoz and Chaos are going for sure. I think Zepp and icestorm are in.....and of course mikey.

I'm still hopeful on the saskatoon buds. They are maybes at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smozoma    100

Gotta reach out to Roberto Z and the other guy, from Brazil :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
halifax    89

He knows about it bud. Hopefully he'll be there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kgman    12

I'm on the maybe list I thought that at least 1 of my cousins would be going and I could split the room but the oldest of them is getting married in September so they can't commit so KG needs to pull some cash together lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kingraph    133

I'll be upset if @kgman doesn't make it...I was looking forward to eliminating the $!!! out of him and then buying him a beer with my winnings.  Hope you find a way bud.     

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McMikey    22
13 minutes ago, kingraph said:

I'll be upset if @kgman doesn't make it...I was looking forward to eliminating the $!!! out of him and then buying him a beer with my winnings.  Hope you find a way bud.     

Yes kgman, you gotta come. Hopefully, someone here can split a room with ya! You gotta be there to watch the movie with us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kgman    12

I'm gonna do everything I can I promise even if I have to rob a bank ( or ask nicely for a line of credit or dare i say quit smoking greens for few weeks lol ...I'm always checking for  cheap flight deals almost booked to San Diego cause it was 340$ round trip but not for date I needed :( some good news though apparently the cable company is installing a fibre connection to my place I could be back playing online soon enough :)

Edited by kgman
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
halifax    89
11 hours ago, corbettkb said:

Done.

boom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
halifax    89
8 hours ago, kgman said:

I'm gonna do everything I can I promise even if I have to rob a bank ( or ask nicely for a line of credit or dare i say quit smoking greens for few weeks lol ...I'm always checking for  cheap flight deals almost booked to San Diego cause it was 340$ round trip but not for date I needed :( some good news though apparently the cable company is installing a fibre connection to my place I could be back playing online soon enough :)

You must be there. The world will be watching bud. Besides, you're the only person i know that can take a nap during a tournament and win it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aqualizard    42

I just bought a plane ticket, so I am in.  Hoping Atomic goes, too, but he hasn't jumped in yet.

Little worried that a ton of people haven't registered.  Unlike hotels, which will get cheaper as the event approaches, I am reading flights get more expensive, meaning last minute hopfefulls will probably not pull the trigger.

Anyway, I am in!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Premium    18

Almost everyone relevant in the community is nowhere near Las Vegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CoachMac    96
1 hour ago, Premium said:

Almost everyone relevant in the community is nowhere near Las Vegas.

Doesn't bother Gary Bettman!:amazing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Premium    18
5 hours ago, CoachMac said:

Doesn't bother Gary Bettman!:amazing:

Not sure what this comment means. My comment was referring to aqualizard's in which he said he was worried that a ton of people hadn't registered. Why would a ton of people register for a tournament in Las Vegas when almost nobody lives nearby? It's like holding the tournament in the middle of South Africa. I don't think it would be reasonable to expect a ton of people to fly out to an area that holds 0% of community members and is close to about 1/10 relevant/active community members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JackVandal    2
15 hours ago, Premium said:

Almost everyone relevant in the community is nowhere near Las Vegas.

yeah like me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CoachMac    96
9 hours ago, Premium said:

Not sure what this comment means. My comment was referring to aqualizard's in which he said he was worried that a ton of people hadn't registered. Why would a ton of people register for a tournament in Las Vegas when almost nobody lives nearby? It's like holding the tournament in the middle of South Africa. I don't think it would be reasonable to expect a ton of people to fly out to an area that holds 0% of community members and is close to about 1/10 relevant/active community members.

OH YEAH, you are right!

Nobody ever goes to Las Vegas for big events or conventions!:shocked:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE Vegas.

I am the one Nevadan around here, but it is 500 miles and another world away from where I live.
I would have preferred Canada, or Chicago, or New York.  Hockey Country!

But I totally get the choice. just like Bettmans choice to put a team there and have awards there long before a team.

VEGAS is Big!

Your comments about the tournament are pointless, since you didn't come to Toronto and have constantly said you did not like or plan to attend these type events.

I am actually starting to like you and believe you are spot on about online leagues, but you should stay out of this.

Mikey and Halifax bust a-- making these things happen and deserve our support.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
segathon    50

Really hoping to go, but won't know until late summer.

Thanks to Mikey & Halifax for making this happen its a TON of work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Premium    18
9 hours ago, CoachMac said:

OH YEAH, you are right!

Nobody ever goes to Las Vegas for big events or conventions!:shocked:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE Vegas.

I am the one Nevadan around here, but it is 500 miles and another world away from where I live.
I would have preferred Canada, or Chicago, or New York.  Hockey Country!

But I totally get the choice. just like Bettmans choice to put a team there and have awards there long before a team.

VEGAS is Big!

Your comments about the tournament are pointless, since you didn't come to Toronto and have constantly said you did not like or plan to attend these type events.

I am actually starting to like you and believe you are spot on about online leagues, but you should stay out of this.

Mikey and Halifax bust a-- making these things happen and deserve our support.

Let's be real here. Yeah, big events happen in Vegas. But the King of '94 is NOT a big event. It's big relative to the community, but not in the larger scale of things. Most can't even be bothered to leave a list for a draft; what makes you think they will travel many hours to play two games of NHL '94? Doesn't help that most people hardly got to play at the first King of '94, and when they did their team was decided by a coin toss. I can see why people aren't eager to go to the next.

I am spot on about online leagues, and I am spot on about this too.

You get why the tournament is in Vegas, but what you don't get is that there is little to no thought put into it. That's understandable. McMikey is only here to promote the film and to get a couple of faces on camera. He's not your average community member, but more of an ambassador. He's concerned about the FILM, not the tournament. He is like what Drake is to the Toronto Raptors. That's totally fine. However let's not sit around and act like we don't know why people aren't signing up.

------------------------------------------------------

My comments are not pointless just because I'm not attending. Even if I registered, it wouldn't alter the meaning of my comments.

Just because someone works hard, doesn't mean that they deserve a pat on the back. Adolf Hitler was likely a harder worker than McMikey and Halifax combined. So what? Alexei Kovalev never worked, yet he was a full-time pro. Tons of hard-working 4th liners struggle to make the NHL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IceStorm70    2

I have to agree with Plabax here.  My initial reaction to LV was sweet!  Then reality sets in that it's a major commitment to fly out there for 3-4 days.  As opposed to a 3-5 car right to any of the key northeast major cities.

I'm probably 30% in at this point, the lack of community interest to this tournament and in general is slowly driving that interest lower.

That said, I'm totally appreciative of the work Halifax, Mikey and the rest of the crew have put in on events like this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smozoma    100

Boom, I'm in. Gotta practice up on SNES.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Kudelski    16

I can't make it because I have a baby on the way in September. 

(I think I've already mentioned this a few times, but I guess I'm still trying to come to grips with it, myself.)

It sucks because if it were any other time, I would absolutely make the trip for this event.

 

Edited by Bob Kudelski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
segathon    50

Make sure you promote locally in Vegas as well.  We had a ton of locals show up to Tecmo Madison because those guys did a great job promoting the event.  Really packed the place up.

Keep up the great work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brutus    45

The guy setting it up is Mikey & his main interest is his movie, so it would make sense for him to pick a venue / location that helps promote his movie.  It also makes sense he would do it where/when he wants to, as he's the guy making it happen.

 

There are several other tournaments throughout the year.  The big reason they aren't called King of 94 is they don't have Mikey's prize money behind it.

 

I think in the future if we as a community all got together and setup a date/location, we could have a great time.

Imagine, we setup up a 2 day event somewhere with a LIVE draft, and run a World Cup style qualifier prior to a tourney or something? 
Also, enabling keyboard/joystick to try to get say a full 24 coaches for something like a GDL Live event, etc.

It's all available to us if we wanted to pool our resources.  I don't like the poo-poo on another guy's event he set up and invited us to play.  He didn't set it up for us, nor should he be expected to.

 

Thanks Mikey & Halifax for setting this up.  Minus a disaster, I will be there.  Debating how many days I want to make out of it now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IceStorm70    2

It's not poo pooing anyones work, it's commenting on the venue not being ideal for most of the community which typically makes up upwards of 75% of the entrants.  So to exclude that in a location decision is obviously due to the movie not the actually tourney.  Which is fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brutus    45
1 hour ago, IceStorm70 said:

It's not poo pooing anyones work, it's commenting on the venue not being ideal for most of the community which typically makes up upwards of 75% of the entrants.  So to exclude that in a location decision is obviously due to the movie not the actually tourney.  Which is fine.

 

I don't find the comments in this post to be that negative.  I was more speaking on some other stuff I'd seen in the Discord conversations.  And, specifically, you took the moment to thank them for their work while pointing out you didn't like the location/venue.  Plabax comments are fairly logical, but in some ways, it feels like the intent/purpose of highlighting it is to just be "that d&ck".  That said, I don't have an argument with his points, as much as don't feel it would change anything by griping about it, and didn't really hear them asking for my opinion, so felt like offering my opinion implied I thought it was asked for. Just my take on it.

Did we really account for 75% of Toronto?  I thought we were more like 25% in my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IceStorm70    2
47 minutes ago, Brutus said:

 

Did we really account for 75% of Toronto?  I thought we were more like 25% in my mind. 

#FakeNews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chaos    27

I think we had close to 40% registrants that were non-forum members in Toronto, maybe more.  That being said, I agree Toronto is more of a "hockey" town than Las Vegas.  But there could be buzz since they are getting a new team, and the $10k in prizes is loads more than Toronto.  It could attract more people, as LV flights and hotel/casino deals are fairly cheap.

 

The Toronto tournament didn't sell out till the week before.  I'm not surprised with the low amount of entrants so far.  It's still a few months away, and people could be waiting on better deals (myself included).  Also, there hasn't been much press yet (Toronto too didn't have much until the last month).  I expect it to take off in late August-early September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jackandjose    7

I'm in!  Just booked a ticket for myself and my wife.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now