NHL'94 Forums

Offline due to idiot neighbor

aqualizard

Yesterday morning, my Bell telephone (land line), internet (Teksavvy) and Cable TV (Rogers) all went dead.  As if a tree fell and took them all out.  I went outside to see if there was anything amiss.  Nope.  I called Bell, and made an appointment for a technician to come by the next day.  Now it is the next day. The tech came by an hour ago, and found the problem quickly:

My idiot neighbor severed 15 feet of cables that crossed his property.  He didn't like them for whatever reason, so away they went.  After the fact he thought to ask another neighbor if they were using them. Er, Yes!! Now 3 houses do not have phones, internet or cable TV.  WHAT AN EFFIN MORON!!!

I know the guy, and he is a nice guy.  But I can't get over "What the hell was he thinking?"  Who chops cables that cross their property?  In this case, they were buried a foot in the ground, well out of the way. WTF?!?  Who does that?  This poor guy was diagnosed with stomach cancer last summer.  I can't help but think he is stressed out and not thinking straight.  But still?

Bell is trying to put a temporary cable up, which will restore my DSL, but there are no guarantees for a quick turnaround.  Until my internet is back, no NHL94 for me. :(

Edited by aqualizard
typo

The Bell guys have left.  They restored everything for 2 other houses, and all of the apartments in the house I live in, but not my apartment!  They are sending a (supposedly) "senior" guy out tomorrow, and I will be missing work for this now.  I am a contractor and get paid by the hour.

I asked the tech guys if they ever heard of a neighbor cutting cables like this, and they said "Nope".  Sometimes vandals cut cables, but this is the first time a "friendly neighbor" saw fit to do something like this.  Apparently there were 6 juicy, live cables on his property, all tied together very orderly, and he cut away a 15' swatch from a utility pole all the way to the house beside his.  He made sure his own property was completely "cable free", and didn't think how this might impact his neighbors.  Unbelievable.

Ok I am back online.  Played some games, things seemed to work ok. (Got some spikes with Kingraph.)  One concern is that I did a speed test, and it came out: 25 mbps DL, 2.5 mbps UL.  That is, my upload is literally 10x slower than my download.  I have DSL, and it is (was?) a decent package.  I am pretty sure it is supposed to be 25/10... not sure if my current slow upload will cause problems for me?

7 hours ago, aqualizard said:

That is, my upload is literally 10x slower than my download.

That is typical of Canadian internet. It's an optimization for the network I think. Anyway, you can play these games on a 33.6kbps modem if your ping is low enough.  2.5mbps is 80000x faster than that. Like Raph says, it's all about low/consistent latency and no packet loss, not high throughput.

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

That is typical of Canadian internet. It's an optimization for the network I think. Anyway, you can play these games on a 33.6kbps modem if your ping is low enough.  2.5mbps is 80000x faster than that. Like Raph says, it's all about low/consistent latency and no packet loss, not high throughput.

damn dude maybe i should look into dialup lollll