NHL'94 Forums

Uniform/Logo Connection Question

1) No.  I think It is just the 3 jersey shoulder colors.  I am not exactly sure how they work.  Sometimes you can fix them if the logos are simple.
This is the hardest and most frustrating part of editing to me.  Maybe Raph or Smoz can give a better answer.  I spend hours messing with this and have still not really figured it out.

2) Yes, Have at it.:big_smile:

Think of the center ice logos and jersey colors (and really every picture in '94) as a paint-by-number template, where each pixel represents a number from 1-16.  Here is an example of the penguins center ice logo:

penguins.png

Now, imagine every ice color square is instead an empty box labeled "1" (I started to do this in red, but that will take forever).  Then the light gray squares (pixels) as "2".  Darker gray "3", Black "4", etc.  If you follow this logic, you will eventually have a 48 x 32 grid, where each box contains a number from 1-16.  That's how the picture is stored in the game.  

Where do the colors come from?  The palette!  So each picture is linked to a palette and there will be up to 16 colors on that palette.  So in our penguins example, every "2" pixel will be filled in with the 2nd color on the corresponding palette.  It's the light grey.  If you go to the palette and change the 2nd color from grey to purple, every #2 pixel on the penguins logo will turn purple.  

Now, due to memory or other kind of restrictions at the time, the center ice logo and the home team jerseys SHARE the same palette.  Changing a jersey color in NOSE is simply changing the palette color.(Unfortunately I can't get NOSE running right now to show an example).  So if you change the yellow stripe on the Penguins home jersey to black, that is as simple as changing palette color #9 from yellow to black.  Now in our logo above, imagine #9 was yellow, so now every #9 pixel becomes black because you are sharing the same palette.  

To FIX this, you have to set the jerseys first to the way you would like.  That will give you the 16-color palette that you can use for your center ice logo.  The cool thing that Tile Molester does is figure out a new "paint-by-number" scheme that best fits your palette.  Again, in our example, if you had the logo ready after your changes and you pasted it into TM, TM would recognize that yellow is now palette color #12 (making this up), so it will change all of the previous #9's (which is now black) to #12's and the logo will look much better.  TM will "best fit" your picture to the available 16 colors in the palette.  

I hope that makes a little more sense.  If I had some more time, I'd show you a more concrete example using the jerseys and logo w/ real numbers, but that's all I got for now! :)

• Like 2

Okay, here's an actual example, using the Atlanta Thrashers logo from the GDL 16 ROM.  I pulled up the jerseys in NOSE and the logo in TM.  Notice that the palette for the jerseys is the same for the logo:

atlanta 1.png

This is why you need to know the home jersey offset to find the palette for the center ice logos.  In this case it's "01952334".  

So the breakdown of the Atlanta ice logo is a 48 x 32 pixel grid, with each pixel representing one of the colors of that palette:

atlanta stripped.png

If you use the palette on the first picture, you will end up with the logo in the first picture.  So what happens when you change a color on the jersey?  You alter one palette color, but the center ice logo information doesn't change.  Just the color:

atlanta 2.png

In this example, I changed the 10th palette color from orange to green.  You'll see that every pixel with a #10 changed to that new green color.  That's because the CPU is instructed to place the #10 color in this pixel, looks up the color in the palette, and places whatever the #10 color is in the palette in the pixel.  

Again, the jerseys and the home ice logo use the same palette.  If you notice, the Atlanta logo is only using colors 1,2,6,9,10,15 &16.  So any changes to those colors in NOSE will change the logo accordingly.  EDIT: A few of those colors you shouldn't edit -- like 01 (transparent/ice), 15 (stick color), etc. for different reasons, but I hope this clears things up about the jersey/home ice logo relationship.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Pearate said:

Is it possible to have a different palette for each team ? Or do we use one palette for the entire game ? 

Each team does have a different palette, for both home and away jerseys.  This post addresses the issue that the home team jersey palette for each team is the same for the center ice logo.