NHL'94 Forums

Palette Editing Help

Hi everybody, I am currently hacking NBA Action '95 and I am trying to figure out a way to add the 3 expansion teams (Grizzlies, Pelicans, Raptors) to the ROM. 

The ROM has about 13 bonus teams (Hall of Fame Heroes, Hall of Fame Legends, etc...) in the game so I figured I would just be able to hex edit three of those team names, add the logo, and palette swap the jerseys to match the team I am importing; however, I have run into a big issue. These bonus teams all share the same palette with the Washington Bullets. 

I suppose my question is this, is there any possible way to add a new palette to the ROM and then assign it to these teams?

Thanks for your help. Also, my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum. 

Edited by clemsports

It's hard to know without looking if NBA Action '95 is anything like NHL'94, but here are some thoughts you can explore (I have a basic understanding of how graphics work in Genesis, but I'm not an expert):

Each team should have a pointer to the palette location so the CPU knows which palette to use.  The pointer will usually be a hex offset.  If you can identify/confirm that each of the 13 teams points to the same palette, then you can try to set the pointer to a different palette.  Confirm if that works.  For example, take a Hall of Fame Heroes team and change the pointer to the Knicks, and see if that works.  

I am assuming there was not enough room on the ROM for 13 more palettes, which is why they all used the same palette.  You can try to expand the ROM, and try to add another palette in the additional space.  If it's 2MB, make it 4MB.  Then try to change the pointer to the new palette.  

That's all I got for now.  Good luck!