NHL'94 Forums

NHL'95 Expanded ROM Project

kingraph

4 hours ago, kingraph said:

* Playoff Teams can't select past team 26 (Tampa Bay).  I'm working on this now and hope to find this fix soon. 

Change these 4 values and you can select all 34 teams in playoffs:

@85F92 - change from 001A to 0022

@85FE2 - change from 001A to 0022

@85FF0 - change from 001A to 0022

@87A14 - change from 0019 to 0021

:)

Raph's gone full larval stage

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/L/larval-stage.html

larval stage: n.

Describes a period of monomaniacal concentration on coding apparently passed through by all fledgling hackers. Common symptoms include the perpetration of more than one 36-hour hacking run in a given week; neglect of all other activities including usual basics like food, sleep, and personal hygiene; and a chronic case of advanced bleary-eye. Can last from 6 months to 2 years, the apparent median being around 18 months. A few so afflicted never resume a more ‘normal’ life, but the ordeal seems to be necessary to produce really wizardly (as opposed to merely competent) programmers.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, kingraph said:

Change these 4 values and you can select all 34 teams in playoffs:

@85F92 - change from 001A to 0022

@85FE2 - change from 001A to 0022

@85FF0 - change from 001A to 0022

@87A14 - change from 0019 to 0021

:)

Has this change been made to the latest download?

just tested out and was blown away.   Great friggen job!  Love the graphics on start up screen and all the logos.  Could not stop grinning

Played a couple games and simulated all the way to the cup  (florida won and Kyle Turris got MVP).

Only stuff I saw and it might be my emulator but the screen would flicker time to time when playing and rosters sometimes would have checkmarks by guys names when subbing

Again great job!  let me know what else i can test.

Also FYI @mack did some graphic hacks like waterbottle on goalie net.  Can they be added as well?  just a thought..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, segathon said:

just tested out and was blown away.   Great friggen job!  Love the graphics on start up screen and all the logos.  Could not stop grinning

Played a couple games and simulated all the way to the cup  (florida won and Kyle Turris got MVP).

Only stuff I saw and it might be my emulator but the screen would flicker time to time when playing and rosters sometimes would have checkmarks by guys names when subbing

Again great job!  let me know what else i can test.

Also FYI @mack did some graphic hacks like waterbottle on goalie net.  Can they be added as well?  just a thought..

Thanks man, I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed the ROM!

If you are using Windows 10 and NOT full screen on your emulator, I've had that flicker problem.  If not, it'd be good to see if others are getting that same problem. 

I will try to see if I can replicate the checkmarks issue on the names to see if it's something specific to a team, player, length of name, etc. 

If you happen to have the ROM with any of @mack's hacks, then yeah, post 'em.  I don't foresee any issue adding that in, I didn't realize any other work had been done on '95. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 1:54 AM, slapshot67 said:

I just added the 2 extra teams to the pointer table and added the teams data.

I'm pretty sure it can handle more teams.

I have added menu logos, ice logos, team banners, and scoreboard banners. still trying to figure out the menu select banners.

I will see if I can do those player cards.

NHL 95 - 30 Team ROM4.bin

The rom crashed on me when I was exploring the teams.

• Like 1

Music

I'm back on this project and thanks to the work on music for '94 from @smozoma here: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11307-how-to-change-and-view-nhl-94-sound-effects-and-music/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-167211

it was MUCH easier to understand and find the same table in '95.  I haven't fully tested this out, but I'm 98% sure it works the same way.  A few tests with the first team confirms the find.

Team music offset table is found @067A20 and follows the same structure as the linked thread for '94.  I will test this some more with other teams and expand it to all 34 teams in a new location.  Thanks Smoz!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kingraph said:

Music

I'm back on this project and thanks to the work on music for '94 from @smozoma here: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11307-how-to-change-and-view-nhl-94-sound-effects-and-music/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-167211

it was MUCH easier to understand and find the same table in '95.  I haven't fully tested this out, but I'm 98% sure it works the same way.  A few tests with the first team confirms the find.

Team music offset table is found @067A20 and follows the same structure as the linked thread for '94.  I will test this some more with other teams and expand it to all 34 teams in a new location.  Thanks Smoz!

Brass Bonanza on a continues loop!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingraph said:

Music

No problem - I'm super curious about how you found the table in 95? I thought it was going to be tricky but it sounds like you found it pretty easily

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

No problem - I'm super curious about how you found the table in 95? I thought it was going to be tricky but it sounds like you found it pretty easily

It was easy only because I started with the assumption that this table existed in the same way as '94!  This saved me HOURS of sleuthing.

First I ran a trace at the start of a game when the music starts.  I knew if a table existed, there must be a "MOVE" function that loads the explicit offset into an address register, so I isolated all of those.  I grabbed the offsets and removed duplicates.  Initially there were 45  unique offsets.  

Roughly half were already previously identified (graphics, team data, etc.) so it was easy to remove them.  Then, it was sort of easy to quickly eyeball the hex data on the remaining offsets for anything that resembled the music table.  Once I found it, it kind of stood out because it looked exactly like the '94 table!  

I then compared the '95 trace on that offset to one I ran for '94 and the instructions were identical!  After that, I changed the song for the first team 2-3 times and it seemed to work!  I posted my find and went to bed.  This whole thing took about an hour.

This method only worked because '95 had the same music structure setup as '94, so I was lucky my assumption was true.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

It was easy only because I started with the assumption that this table existed in the same way as '94!  This saved me HOURS of sleuthing.

First I ran a trace at the start of a game when the music starts.  I knew if a table existed, there must be a "MOVE" function that loads the explicit offset into an address register, so I isolated all of those.  I grabbed the offsets and removed duplicates.  Initially there were 45  unique offsets.  

Roughly half were already previously identified (graphics, team data, etc.) so it was easy to remove them.  Then, it was sort of easy to quickly eyeball the hex data on the remaining offsets for anything that resembled the music table.  Once I found it, it kind of stood out because it looked exactly like the '94 table!  

I then compared the '95 trace on that offset to one I ran for '94 and the instructions were identical!  After that, I changed the song for the first team 2-3 times and it seemed to work!  I posted my find and went to bed.  This whole thing took about an hour.

This method only worked because '95 had the same music structure setup as '94, so I was lucky my assumption was true.  

Nice, good idea on the MOVE command

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2017 at 11:47 AM, mack said:

Sent you an old one. Keep in mind it's from 2003 lol

I incorporated your boards signage and water bottle on the net into the working ROM.  Thanks @mack!

NHL95_34TM_beta_03_001.png

Also did the music test to a new area of the ROM and teams 29+ seem to work fine. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, waynehigh said:

Wouldnt you need the season and playoffs to work for 31 teams, not 34?

Sort of.  If I was specifically making an NHL'18 ROM then yes, I'd limit the selectable teams to the current 31 teams for playoffs and season.  In general though, my goal is to create a 34 team base ROM that works with all teams in playoffs/season/trades.  If I can get that to work, then I should be able to provide instructions on how to limit the teams back down for any future hackers that want to make an updated roster ROM. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingraph said:

I incorporated your boards signage and water bottle on the net into the working ROM.  Thanks @mack!

NHL95_34TM_beta_03_001.png

Also did the music test to a new area of the ROM and teams 29+ seem to work fine. 

Awesome now put nipples on the chick behind the net...

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Stu_Parker said:

Sorry to nit pick but can you change the name of the Boston Bruins Home Ice to TD Garden?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's TD Garden in the beta ROM I posted: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18130-nhl95-expanded-rom-project/&do=findComment&comment=168627

Let me know if you see something different.  Thanks for the note, I appreciate the feedback!

And since it's been a few days -- quick update on where I stand on this project.  Been sidetracked with the recent tourney at the RetroExpo in Hartford, and my actual paying job is crazy busy from Oct-Dec.  I was in the middle of fixing the graphics bug on the playoffs screen by shortening down the spinning Stanley Cup graphic.  I found out how the tile layout works for that graphic, it's different than the non-animated ones.  I'll make a more detailed post when I can, but once I fix that, the next step would be the season data update. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Engelby77 said:

Just checking king in king, how's it going ?

STALLED.  Just been slammed, and don't foresee freeing up for quite some time unfortunately.  '94 activities are picking up (classic league, premium retro league, smozoma's ladder league, etc) so those are taking priority when/if I have time.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jimdawg47 said:

Is it possible to post your updated work so we can continue to test?

Yes sir!  Here you go: NHL95_34TM_beta_04.bin

The difference between v01 and v04 is 

* playoff teams selectable to 34

* Music works for all 34 teams

* Mack's graphic hacks (water bottle, signage). 

Appreciate the support and any feedback!

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3