NHL'94 Forums

NHL'95 Expanded ROM Project

kingraph

16 hours ago, kingraph said:

Yes sir!  Here you go: NHL95_34TM_beta_04.bin

The difference between v01 and v04 is 

* playoff teams selectable to 34

* Music works for all 34 teams

* Mack's graphic hacks (water bottle, signage). 

Appreciate the support and any feedback!

Thanks you for this one !! unbelievable !! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2017 at 7:03 PM, kingraph said:

Yes sir!  Here you go: NHL95_34TM_beta_04.bin

The difference between v01 and v04 is 

* playoff teams selectable to 34

* Music works for all 34 teams

* Mack's graphic hacks (water bottle, signage). 

Appreciate the support and any feedback!

Thank you for your hard work, Will the season mode be able to have all teams able to play?

30 minutes ago, jimdawg47 said:

Thank you for your hard work, Will the season mode be able to have all teams able to play?

No, that's the main part I have left on this project, along with a graphic fix on the stanley cup on the playoff bracket page.  

I'm not even sure it's possible, I haven't started looking into it yet.  My OP has an updated progress chart, and that's the one remaining piece (along with trades, etc).

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, waynehigh said:

Any Progress?

Unfortunately still on the backburner.  Realistically my workload (in real life) should ease up sometime mid-December, which should also coincide with the end of our online Classic season (actual '94 action takes precedence here!).  I am enjoying this project, and look forward to getting my head back in the code, but for now I can't delve back in unless I have some foreseeable free time.  It's hard to do this in pieces because I'll spend the first hour just re-reading my notes to figure out what the hell I was doing, get my brain back in hex values/68k assembly language mode, then think about the next course of action.  If I don't keep up with it after a few days, I'd have to redo that whole first process, lol.  

Anyway, thanks for checking in and keeping me honest...I expect to have at least something updated by Christmas time!

• 1 month later...

dust-off.jpg

Kicking this back up.  The last thing I was working on was the Stanley Cup image that was giving me an issue on the playoff page.  After I expanded the banner image, the playoff page had this problem because there is too much graphic information due to the expanded banner graphic:

NHL95_34TM_beta_04_000.png

The stanley cup in that image is an animated image that takes up quite a lot of space, so I wanted to turn it into a static image.  It turns out that the cup is 5 separate images that eat up 612 tiles (610 unique, 2 shared among the 5 images) and each image appears after a few seconds..  I found out that the tile layout uses a different coding structure than non-animated images.  

There is a 8 byte beginning of the layout that I don't quite understand yet, but afterwards comes 8 byte sections that work as follows:

First 2 bytes: Y Axis location of image block.
Next 2 bytes: Block Size/Shape (definition below)
Next 2 bytes: Tile # of start of block
Final 2 bytes: X axis location of the image block

Explanation:

Y-Axis:  0000 starts on the very top of the screen, each increase moves the image block down 1 pixel
Block Size/Shape:  The 2 byte code will determine how many tiles and what shape the image block will contain:

Bytes	Block Size
0F00	4x4
0E00	4x3
0D00	4x2
0C00	4x1
0B00	3x4
0A00	3x3
0900	3x2
0800	3x1
0700	2x4
0600	2x3
0500	2x2
0400	2x1
0300	1x4
0200	1x3
0100	1x2
0000	1x1

Tile # Start:  This is the hex value of the tile that dictates the 1st tile of the block.  
X Axis: 0000 is all the way on the left, each increase moves the block 1 pixel to the right.

So the first layout is 0070 0F00 0000 0000, which means a 4x4 block (16 tiles) starting with the first tile (00).  The image is all the way on the left (of the stanley cup) and moved down from the top 0070 (hex, 112 decimal) pixels from the top.  This is the bottom left corner block of the stanley cup.  The next 520 bytes (65 image blocks, 13 per cup) will be the same layout.

So, from this, I can try three things.  One is to make 1 image, and while it will still "rotate" through, you won't notice because it's the same image.  This is probably easiest to do.  The other option is to "convert" this to a static image, not sure how that will work.  The final option is to somehow reduce the number of tiles used by repeating some images, but still have the cup rotate.  

Anyway, that is where I left off and I am just copying my notes from Oct 12th.  I'm back on the case!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stepher1980 said:

is the playoff tree have the match-ups done by divisional or conference? and are the team line-ups done with pp and pk lines?

You can set the playoff matchups however you want through NOSE, which is cool.  

As far as actual lines with players, I haven't spent any real time working on that.  My goal is to create a base ROM that people can use to update for future versions. 

The current ROMs I posted have a copy/paste player stats/lines from an early 2018 '94 ROM from @naples39, just for the sake of having differentiation.  If I manage to finish this thing before the playoffs, I may spend some time updating for 2018, but that would be some time.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last night I fixed the Stanley Cup image problem on the playoff tree.  The cup doesn't rotate anymore, it's now a static image.  Well technically, it's still rotating 5 images, but the 5 images are all the same!  So I reduced the size of the cup from 612 tiles to 124, saving a huge amount of space and graphic memory.  The graphic memory was the cause of my issue after I expanded the banner image for the extra teams.      

NHL95_34TM_beta_05c_000.png

So this is now my current working ROM.  All the graphic hacks are done (I think) and the ROM is expanded to 34 teams that can be used in exhibition play.  NOW, my next task is to start tackling the season data, trade players, etc. 

Current ROM: NHL95_34TM_beta_05c.bin

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pecking at this and I found one setback so far that is already making a difficult project even worse.  If you run a season and play through the first week games (there should be 4 games), and check player stats afterwards, the game freezes up.  Sooo, something that I did with the expansion is already causing an issue here.  Anyway, that sucks, but I'll figure it out.  

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

I've been pecking at this and I found one setback so far that is already making a difficult project even worse.  If you run a season and play through the first week games (there should be 4 games), and check player stats afterwards, the game freezes up.  Sooo, something that I did with the expansion is already causing an issue here.  Anyway, that sucks, but I'll figure it out.  

You got it Neo, there is no spoon

Image result for neo matrix

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Engelby77 said:

How' It going king ?

This is gonna be stalled for a while, I'm not sure if I can figure out the season stuff anytime soon.  For now, a full 34 team ROM that can handle regular season play will have to be it for a while.  Speaking of which, I should make a post about the locations of the offsets for graphics, etc. similar to the tile molester screenshots wboy did.  I will do that soon.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
58 minutes ago, T0LTS said:

i know this has stalled a little but

For some reason im getting a

the specified file does not apear to be a supported rom

im using NHL95_34TM_beta_05c.bin

any ideas

First, in order for this to work in NOSE, you have to add the following text (and save) to the roms.ini file:

[GM T-50856 -34]
Comments=NHL 95 - 30 Team ROM
OriginalROMProductCode=GM T-50856 -00
Teams=34

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kingraph said:

First, in order for this to work in NOSE, you have to add the following text (and save) to the roms.ini file:

[GM T-50856 -34]
Comments=NHL 95 - 30 Team ROM
OriginalROMProductCode=GM T-50856 -00
Teams=34

That easy lol thank you once again pal. I’m really sorry to be bugging you lol I’ll do this in a minute or two :D

• smozoma pinned this topic
  • 2 years later...

This was fun to read 5 years later.  I could have definitely done a better job explaining as I found it hard to follow some items...and I'm the one who friggin' wrote it!

Perhaps @UltraMagnus, you can continue to post updates and other items related to anything you find in season mode and data.  I'll also have to re-check my last local notes.  You never know who can see this and get inspired!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

This was fun to read 5 years later.  I could have definitely done a better job explaining as I found it hard to follow some items...and I'm the one who friggin' wrote it!

Perhaps @UltraMagnus, you can continue to post updates and other items related to anything you find in season mode and data.  I'll also have to re-check my last local notes.  You never know who can see this and get inspired!

For sure. If you have anything laying around post away so i can dive deep into code. LOL.

• 1 year later...

I know this is super old but, I'm wondering why this doesn't work for me with NOSE? In fact, none of the 95 hacks with extra teams have worked. But I saw comments about working on this in NOSE so, I'm just wondering what's up with that. I tried it on 1.2b and 1.2c and no luck. Any idea @UltraMagnus ? I'd love to make some fun player edits with this if possible!