kingraph

NHL'95 Expanded ROM Project

16 hours ago, kingraph said:

Yes sir!  Here you go: NHL95_34TM_beta_04.bin

The difference between v01 and v04 is 

* playoff teams selectable to 34

* Music works for all 34 teams

* Mack's graphic hacks (water bottle, signage). 

Appreciate the support and any feedback!

Thanks you for this one !! unbelievable !! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2017 at 7:03 PM, kingraph said:

Yes sir!  Here you go: NHL95_34TM_beta_04.bin

The difference between v01 and v04 is 

* playoff teams selectable to 34

* Music works for all 34 teams

* Mack's graphic hacks (water bottle, signage). 

Appreciate the support and any feedback!

Thank you for your hard work, Will the season mode be able to have all teams able to play?

30 minutes ago, jimdawg47 said:

Thank you for your hard work, Will the season mode be able to have all teams able to play?

No, that's the main part I have left on this project, along with a graphic fix on the stanley cup on the playoff bracket page.  

I'm not even sure it's possible, I haven't started looking into it yet.  My OP has an updated progress chart, and that's the one remaining piece (along with trades, etc).

39 minutes ago, waynehigh said:

Any Progress?

Unfortunately still on the backburner.  Realistically my workload (in real life) should ease up sometime mid-December, which should also coincide with the end of our online Classic season (actual '94 action takes precedence here!).  I am enjoying this project, and look forward to getting my head back in the code, but for now I can't delve back in unless I have some foreseeable free time.  It's hard to do this in pieces because I'll spend the first hour just re-reading my notes to figure out what the hell I was doing, get my brain back in hex values/68k assembly language mode, then think about the next course of action.  If I don't keep up with it after a few days, I'd have to redo that whole first process, lol.  

Anyway, thanks for checking in and keeping me honest...I expect to have at least something updated by Christmas time!

On 8/19/2017 at 8:00 AM, kingraph said:

TEAM DATA

Now, I have the great fortune of wboy's program - NOSE - to save me lots of time!  So using NOSE, it was easy to locate the team data in the game:

nose.png

So the offset for the team data actually starts at 07E2 (All-Stars East).  The structure for each team data is as follows:

* Header of '0092" - "The first 2 bytes of the team, typically 0092 is the offset + team start offset (e.g. 0092+00005330 for ANH) that takes you to the start of the roster data (also correctly bypassing any free bytes if they exist) - Thanks @wboy

* "000C" (not sure what that does)

* 2 bytes that are the length of team data

* "0052 004C 0050".  Again, I'm not sure what those last 6 bytes are, but they are the same for each team, so I don't think it's important at the moment.

* Home/Away palettes (32 bytes), followed by 32 for the 3rd and 4th palette (not used as far as I know).

* Off/Def/PP/PK/Home Adv/Def Adv (3 bytes)

* 1 byte that determines the number of forwards and defensemen

* Goalie bytes (2)

* Lines info (64 bytes)

* Player information.  First two bytes are name length, followed by the name, then 8 bytes for ratings

* Length of City - City Name - Length of Team Abr - Team Abr - Length of Team Name - Team Name - Length of Stadium Name - Stadium Name.

END!

After the Stadium Name, the next team offset starts with "0092..."

Now, the wonderful thing about NOSE is when you change the player data, the program automatically shifts everything around correctly and adjusts the values so you don't have to do all of this in Hex!  Thanks wboy!

Team Pointer / Order of Teams Data

Since I now have the offsets for all the team data, all I had to do was search for "00000D66" in Hex to find the team data pointers.  Lo and behold:

pointers.png

The pointer table became pretty clear right after I found the first one.  You can see it's a set of 28 pointers that matches up with each team offset from the NOSE image.  In fact, the first set of team data (ASE) is located right after the last pointer at offset @07E2.

Now, the next step will be to remap that data to a new spot in the ROM, change the pointers, clear out the old team data and see if the ROM still works.  SPOILER, I have already done this successfully (yay!), but will post more later.

It doesn't work- EVEN IF I use Wine. The cheapest laptop I can find is $90 CAN.

12 hours ago, Jlnhlsegafan said:

I can't even create any goalies after I got all the skaters!

You got a laptop and are using NOSE? (i'm just trying to understand what your situation is so I can help... your questions often lack context/details. the more info you supply, the better we can help)

When you're on the Goalies page of NOSE, there is a part at the top that says "Goalie bytes" and 4 dropdowns are there next to it. If the team has 2 goalies, then 2 of those dropdowns will have non-zero values, and the 3rd and 4th ones will be zero. To 'create' a 3rd goalie, you need to change the 3rd value from '0' to any other value and click Apply (this value doesn't seem to do anything other than indicate that the goalie exists). 

The funny part of this is that it will take your first skater and turn him into a goalie.

• Like 1