NHL'94 Forums

Ko94 II groups

halifax

Just tentative groupings for now.

** hasn't registered yet but has indicated they are attending.

SEGA

Group A

corbettkb

Smozoma

Nick H. 

Alfredo A.

Christopher O.

Eric L.

Aris K.

Group B

Jackandjose

Evan

Iamfleuryshipcheck

Kevin C.

Brian Y.

Kevin Bre.

Hriste S.

Tom H.

Group C

Kingraph

Michael S.

Coachmac

Sean M.

Robert R.

Scott Sh.

Olddirtyh

Group D

Angryjay

Aqualizard

Rob M.

Scott St.

Arda O.

Mark V.

Blue Jacket

SNES

Group E

AngryJay

Chaos

The90jacket

Jeffery H.

Ryan W.

Andrew K.

Jamil K.

Group F

Stheds2000

Tom D.

Ryan B.

Richard H.

Nicolas K.

CaseyBC

Kingraph

Bobkudelski

Group G

Halifax

Skipper

Annatar

corbettkb

Kris M.

Sean W.

Roger L.

Group H

SNESboy

tylerdeanhill

JeffBC

Dangler

Kevin H.

Kurtis W.

Ben L.

Smozoma

• Like 2

Is there a seeding system based on world rankings? :D

How will you adjust this as more people sign up. And do you plan on swerving me at the last minute and putting all the best players in my group?

1 hour ago, annatar said:

How will you adjust this as more people sign up. And do you plan on swerving me at the last minute and putting all the best players in my group?

I would love it if Mikail showed up as a late addition.

You hear his theme music start playing, and then some fireworks, and then boom! His hype man is in your face yelling 'Sauga represent!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

I would love it if Mikail showed up as a late addition.

You hear his theme music start playing, and then some fireworks, and then boom! His hype man is in your face yelling 'Sauga represent!

Haha please put a trigger warning in your post next time.

I'm also hoping you show up unexpectedly with your baby in tow. 

12 hours ago, annatar said:

I will likely just add buds to groups as they sign up. I'll probably change the rules so you have to win all your round robin games by 8 goals to advance. I'm all aboot equality bud.

On 2017-08-31 at 9:38 AM, smozoma said:

Setting up the early rematch :D

I'd better hit the tapes

there's a big time hate filled rivalry there.

I had to change it around a bit as I realized some guys would've been playing at the same time on both systems. Plus some guys that are new to the tournament don't want to play against their friends. So I've separated them out. And we've had a couple new people in the last few days. And I need to make sure we have "admins/referees" available.

23 hours ago, kingraph said:

This is partially sarcastic...I know Coach is about 50x stronger than he was in Toronto.  I am predicting an elite 8 finish for sure.

Thanks, but sadly with only 9 forum guys if I'm counting correctly (Tex, Smoz, EA, Evan, JackandJose, KingRaph, Aqualizard, AngryJay and myself) that may actually be a possibility, though I would rank myself ninth among those and who knows what surprises we may have from non-forum guys with the kinda $ available.

I am stronger as when I went to Toronto, I had hardly played 94.  I was stuck on 92 and 93.

It will be interesting and I am totally stoked for the event and very appreciative to Mikey and Halifax for putting it on but disappointed that so many of the best guys are missing.  (Which was the point of my original sarcastic comment:big_smile:)

Hey Halifax, maybe you should open it up for people to play for the other system, just for the sake of having more people, for free?  I mean, anyone good enough at both, is probably paid/registered for both systems.  Putting a guy like me in SNES would give someone an opponent to beat up on, and give me more games!  Something SNES guys would probably like?

I know it is a long shot, but just thought I would put it out there. ;)

Edited by aqualizard

10 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Hey Halifax, maybe you should open it up for people to play for the other system, just for the sake of having more people, for free?  I mean, anyone good enough at both, is probably paid/registered for both systems.  Putting a guy like me in SNES would give someone an opponent to beat up on, and give me more games!  Something SNES guys would probably like?

It's up to Halifax and Mikey, but there are a couple reasons I'd be against this.. 

First, I was actually thinking of something like this before (or half price, but you can't make the playoffs), but the problem is it sets a precedent for the future that people will go "why pay (full price) for both when I can pay for one and play both" and then no one ever pays for both (unless they think they can win). As someone who paid to play both (and I've played 5 SNES games vs a person ever, and i think I'm up to 8 vs CPU in the past couple weeks) it ends up being unfair, people will game the system, and well why should I have paid if others play for free. Also it's already half price to play on the other system.

I think the only way free entrance could be done would be if there were a lottery to fill out the last couple spots if the tournament format required a specific number of players. But the round robin format doesn't.

Second, the schedule is already expected to be 9am to 11pm. There's no time to add extra games; adding free players without increasing the number of games makes little sense; and, actually, adding more games has already been done without needing more players (it's now 6 games guaranteed instead of 4).

Just a heads up from experience when I ran a dual tourney with NHL 95 and NBA Jam where you can play in both tourneys it definitely caused a lot of bottle necks.   It can be pulled off but can't give guys a break if they are up for next game.

13 minutes ago, segathon said:

Just a heads up from experience when I ran a dual tourney with NHL 95 and NBA Jam where you can play in both tourneys it definitely caused a lot of bottle necks.   It can be pulled off but can't give guys a break if they are up for next game.

Yeah, Halifax drew it all out, it makes it pretty much impossible to parallelize the playoffs while there are players still in the no-losses bracket on both systems. So dual-system favourites like AJ and Raph are probably gonna have to play almost non-stop.

There was a somewhat similar problem in Toronto.. in a triple-elim bracket, players in the 2-loss bracket can't take breaks, or it holds the whole thing up.  Unfortunately we didn't really know that at the time... we should have prioritized coordinating those games.

• Like 1

All the players in the first post have now registered. I'm hoping we get one more sega guy to play to make group D at 7 players. (a couple guys of have indicated they can no longer attend so they were removed.)

23 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Thanks for the suggesting bud. However people have paid to play, and there's always an outside chance you could win a game on snes. I think someone would generally be mad if they finished one game out rom missing the playoffs and one of those losses coming from someone that hadn't paid to play.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, halifax said:

Thanks for the suggesting bud. However people have paid to play, and there's always an outside chance you could win a game on snes. I think someone would generally be mad if they finished one game out rom missing the playoffs and one of those losses coming from someone that hadn't paid to play.

That's a good point. :)