kingraph

[October 14, 2017 - Hartford, CT] - 2017 Retro World Expo

Recommended Posts

We will be hosting another live tournament as part of the Retro World Expo in Hartford, CT on October 14th, 2017!

Registration / Cost: The tournament is free as part of your admission to the Retro World Expo! 

Date/Time: 1:00 pm, October 14th, 2017.

Prize: TBD, something fun.

Livestreamhttps://www.twitch.tv/kingraph

Format: 

  • 32 player cap (registration continues after 32, but can't guarantee a spot)
  • Round Robin play will be 8 groups of 4 players in a 3 game round robin.
    • Groups will be random, but we will try to accommodate requests for friends/groups to be in separate groups as best we can.
    • Top 2 players from each group move on to a 16 player elimination bracket.  16 players are eliminated after Round Robin play.
    • Players will be seeded by win total, followed by goal differential, followed by total goals for.  This is the same tiebreaker rules.
  • 16 team bracket will be single elimination format, best of 3 series for all rounds (16, quarters, semis, final).

Game Settings:

  • 5 Minute Periods
  • No Offsides, Penalties On
  • No Line Changes
  • Manual Goalie Control

Selecting Teams:

  • A coin flip will take place between the 2 players. The loser of the coin flip will choose 2 different teams. The winner of the coin flip will choose to play as 1 of the 2 teams chosen and play as the Home team.
  • If the same 2 players meet again later in the tournament, no coin flip will occur. The players will simply reverse the coin flip results from the first meeting, and so on for further matchups. 
  • You can't pick the same teams, so no CHI-CHI or DET-DET matchups
  • All Star teams are ineligible
  • Preset matchups cards will be available for everyone to see and use if wanted.  This is for those who are not familiar with every team, or players who just want to reduce the stress of selecting two teams!  The cards will have matchups that have two teams that are reasonably similar in strength. 

@chaos and I will be running the tournament, and will be head referees if needed.  We expect the 32 spots to fill up easily (the crowd will be up to 50% larger than Long Island), so it's unlikely either of us will be actually be playing.

LET ME KNOW IN THIS THREAD IF ANY VETS ARE PLANNING TO GO!

2017 CT Poster - NHL94 pt 3.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome stuff bud! I give myself about a 0.094% chance of attending at this point. Just trying to get @angryjay93 to pay for my flight and hotel and expenses. ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like fun!  I'm hoping to be there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

strong possibility I will attend. I am located 15 min south of Hartford ✔ 

 

sd

Edited by Sdogg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who else is all in?  I may be able to make it.  Pinged Brutus and he prolly wont make it but wont know till last minute.

I'd get a hotel room so if anyone I know is going and wants to crash let me know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The expo opens at 10am but the tourney doesn't start till 1pm... any way to ensure registration without being there right at door opening? We just checked into Hartford, but the marathon may complicate travelling in the city tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gastonguay99 said:

The expo opens at 10am but the tourney doesn't start till 1pm... any way to ensure registration without being there right at door opening? We just checked into Hartford, but the marathon may complicate travelling in the city tomorrow

PM me your name and I'll make sure you're in bud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with the Tourney today @kingraph hope it all goes smooth, and maybe get a few new recruits, wish I could make it, but stuck at work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

 

Twitch feed is up: Twitch Feed

Challonge is coming soon, once the Round Robin is completed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaos said:

Hey guys,

 

Twitch feed is up: Twitch Feed

Challonge is coming soon, once the Round Robin is completed.

Cool, thx!  I am at the gym but gonna watch while I am on treadmill!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either of those guys forum members?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those were some pretty good games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Either of those guys forum members?

No forum members. One of the guys went to Vegas though (the winner, Eric). Him and his brother in the finals today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 4:15 PM, chaos said:

No forum members. One of the guys went to Vegas though (the winner, Eric). Him and his brother in the finals today.

I thought I recognized him!

He went 2-4 in Vegas

http://challonge.com/w2x9wv82

The A group was actually pretty tough. 

  • Kevin/corbettkb/Tex: 4th
  • chris o: 5th-6th
  • smozoma: 7th-8th
  • alfredo: 9th-13th (and he nearly beat me, I scored with 7s left then won in OT)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy who won was in Vegas with a buddy who came in 4th, Kevin, I think.  I think he goes by KB27 here, as he has since joined the forum.

Was he there?

Dayum, was expecting Tex to at least be in the final.

The Twitch feed was great.  Hearing the brothers talking was awesome, and then the play-by-play by was great, too!  These two were highly skilled.  As Raph mentioned, the stops and starts, the manual goalie on and off to reset.  Not your average dudes playing in their basement.  Hope they join up here, if they haven't already.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

The guy who won was in Vegas with a buddy who came in 4th, Kevin, I think.  I think he goes by KB27 here, as he has since joined the forum.

Was he there?

Dayum, was expecting Tex to at least be in the final.

The Twitch feed was great.  Hearing the brothers talking was awesome, and then the play-by-play by was great, too!  These two were highly skilled.  As Raph mentioned, the stops and starts, the manual goalie on and off to reset.  Not your average dudes playing in their basement.  Hope they join up here, if they haven't already.
 

 

Don't think Tex was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Don't think Tex was there.

Confirmed, not here. Good games though!  The guy who came in 4th won 1st place at the Nintendo World Championship tourney.  Arda came in 3rd!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingraph said:

Confirmed, not here. Good games though!  The guy who came in 4th won 1st place at the Nintendo World Championship tourney.  Arda came in 3rd!

Thor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davefmurray said:

Thor?

:D sorry, first place at the Nintendo World Championship Tourney as part of the Retro World Expo 2017.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 4:34 PM, smozoma said:

I thought I recognized him!

He went 2-4 in Vegas

http://challonge.com/w2x9wv82

The A group was actually pretty tough. 

  • Kevin/corbettk/Tex: 4th
  • chris o: 5th-6th
  • smozoma: 7th-8th
  • alphonso: 9th-13th (and he nearly beat me, I scored with 7s left then won in OT)

Thats cool, first time ive seen the round robin breakdown from Vegas.  And yea, unfortunately was in Minneapolis this past weekend (you know you can get from the airport to downtown on public transportation for $2, amazing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, corbettkb said:

Thats cool, first time ive seen the round robin breakdown from Vegas.  And yea, unfortunately was in Minneapolis this past weekend (you know you can get from the airport to downtown on public transportation for $2, amazing).

You can get to the Airport on normal public transit her en Toronto, too.  It is $3, the usual fare, but requires a subway and a bus ride. (It is pretty far away.)

Conversely, in Vegas the last night I was there, I wanted to take a bus back to my hotel, which was a straight line down Las Vegas Blvd.  When I tried to board the bus -- to take a 10 minute ride straight down the street -- I was told it was $6 minimum, which covered me for 2 hours, which was overkill.  In short, it was about the same price as an Uber, but with crap seats and full of drunks.  I took and Uber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

You can get to the Airport on normal public transit her en Toronto, too.  It is $3, the usual fare, but requires a subway and a bus ride. (It is pretty far away.)

Conversely, in Vegas the last night I was there, I wanted to take a bus back to my hotel, which was a straight line down Las Vegas Blvd.  When I tried to board the bus -- to take a 10 minute ride straight down the street -- I was told it was $6 minimum, which covered me for 2 hours, which was overkill.  In short, it was about the same price as an Uber, but with crap seats and full of drunks.  I took and Uber. 

I had a weird bus experience in Long Island. They don't take bills. If you don't have a pass or tickets, you have to pay ENTIRELY in change. Needless to say, gf and I didn't have 22 quarters on us at that moment (2x$2.75). Thankfully the bus driver was nice and let us on anyway! We saw another person come on and crack open an entire roll of quarters from the bank before paying. Other than that, the bus was nice, though! The train was nice, too (except for trying to find the ticket machine, which was pretty well hidden under the platform and behind a building).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't take many photos, mainly because I was using my phone for the livestream :wacko:.  But here are a few pics I managed to snap:

OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT:

retro1.png

Dinosaur spotted playing arcades:

retro2.png

Our table of competitors

retro3.png

Crowd watching the (very awesome) finals games:

retro4.png

 

We didn't get the turnout we expected, but a lot of the guys were folks we knew from Long Island and/or Vegas!  It was great to see familiar faces, something I never considered!  In one way, having a solid group of 16 '94 players is better than 32 made up of those 16 solid and 16 "walk-ins" as it's unlikely the "walk-ins" would have made it past the RR or 1st round.  Having said that, we will ALWAYS welcome more players because at the end of the day it's all about having some fun playing.  These guys who participated all had a great time, and just about every one of them said "thank you for running this tournament", which really goes a long way with me.  It's quite a bit of work to put this on, all free, and a simple "thanks" makes it all worth it!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the fact that the tournament sign-up table was kind of hidden from the main row made it difficult for people to find. I did have a few people ask me about signing up after we had already started and were a few games in. A lot of the other tournaments suffered from low turnout too. The SF5 tournament, which was on the other side of our table had like 8 signups, yet they had 8 PS4s set up. On the flip side, the Mario Kart 64 tournament had 3 set ups, and a billion people. We also could have promoted it a little more too. All in all, it was a great time, some really close games, and multiple TB-SJ match-ups. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gastonguay99 said:

I really enjoyed this and would love to come to more... Thanks again! 

Great meeting you, and thanks for the positive feedback!  

Also, @gastonguay99 wore an epic Guy Herbert retro '94 hockey jersey!  Totally won the day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now