NHL'94 Forums

King of '94 II "Non Forum Members"

aqualizard

So one of the things that surprised me is (what appeared to be) Non Forum Members willing to fly out and get a hotel to participate.  How did they even find out about it?  Do we have any stats on how many participants were "Walk Ons" (what I call Non Forum guys)?

Or were all or almost all Forum Guys, who received a form letter with the announcement, but guys that had joined ages ago and never posted or participated?  (So they were Forum Guys, but just lurkers or guys that forgot about ever joining?)

EricAnthony mentioned that he thought the caliber of play was higher because there were no local guys (ok, there was one), so anyone participating had to hop on a plane and get a hotel.  I think this rings true.  But it is surprising to me that so many Walk Ons were willing to do this! (And has been noted, we need to get better at recruiting these guys.  If they are willing to make that much effort to play, many could be converted for sure.)

Th silver lining is I think there is a demand to play live, and we can harness live play to grow the community. (Which seems backwards, but I think it is true.)

9 hours ago, aqualizard said:

So one of the things that surprised me is (what appeared to be) Non Forum Members willing to fly out and get a hotel to participate.  How did they even find out about it?  Do we have any stats on how many participants were "Walk Ons" (what I call Non Forum guys)?

Or were all or almost all Forum Guys, who received a form letter with the announcement, but guys that had joined ages ago and never posted or participated?  (So they were Forum Guys, but just lurkers or guys that forgot about ever joining?)

EricAnthony mentioned that he thought the caliber of play was higher because there were no local guys (ok, there was one), so anyone participating had to hop on a plane and get a hotel.  I think this rings true.  But it is surprising to me that so many Walk Ons were willing to do this! (And has been noted, we need to get better at recruiting these guys.  If they are willing to make that much effort to play, many could be converted for sure.)

Th silver lining is I think there is a demand to play live, and we can harness live play to grow the community. (Which seems backwards, but I think it is true.)

Problem is our leagues don't offer cash prizes, and the emulator sucks.

Speaking for the Vancouver guys who came down for SNES, they already have a local community that plays live games so a bunch of them flying down to Vegas for a weekend didn't seem like a crazy thing to do. Especially given how well they did. I assume they found out about it through Facebook or some of the other media stuff Mikey and Darrell did. Doesn't necessarily mean they're interested in playing online - but it's always cool to find out about more people who are playing the game!

I agree in general that the competition was high because people weren't going to show up on a whim and shell out $100 plus a flight to Vegas.